House Price Crash Forum

Oh No Facebook

Tonkers

HOLA441

I used to love facebook, like diary management and handy fun. It is now in my face and annoying. But, I can still handle it.

Why, oh why, am I hearing more and more about twitter? I did twitter for four months and no way, it's like a cokehead exchange for people who don't know what coke is, so they pretend they have taken it.

But on radio four some politician was saying he kept in touch with other politicians via twitter!!

HOLA442

I used to love facebook, like diary management and handy fun. It is now in my face and annoying. But, I can still handle it.

Why, oh why, am I hearing more and more about twitter? I did twitter for four months and no way, it's like a cokehead exchange for people who don't know what coke is, so they pretend they have taken it.

But on radio four some politician was saying he kept in touch with other politicians via twitter!!

Have they started filming the Twitter movie yet?

David Fincher.....................WHY?????????????????

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

I find FB ok for keeping up with distant friends & rellies. Twitter - meh. Pointless. Might be an age/gender/can't-be-arsed sort of tech appreesh gap thingy.

Do most people that tweet do so on their blackberries? I don't have an app for that. Come to think of it, I don't have a BB....or an iphone.....

HOLA446
HOLA447

never used it myself (despite efforts from others) - i just don't get it, where do people get the time to use it? but good luck to them if they enjoy it.

But I have used Linkedin purely for employment purposes and have to agree its a great tool for building up contacts and got a few great contracts through it.

HOLA448

I'm a web developer/apps developer by trade (self employed)

I can honestly say that I've only ever been to the Twitter website once to find out what the fuss was about and still come away none the wiser.

To me, it's like Heat magazine online and in real-time. I feel I must be missing the point somewhere.

I built an extension to a dating site about 7 years ago that more or less replicated this type of functionality.

But then I do love those junk calls trying to get you to change mobile provider.

"So how many text messages would you say you send in a month?"

"I'd say probably about 5"

(Dial tone resumes)

I'm reminded of the classic line from the doctor in an episode of The Simpsons: "You should get some friends who aren't printed on paper"

Genuinely, am I just some cynical ****ard?

(Runs for cover)

HOLA449
HOLA4410

I follow people like Faisal Islam and sites including FT Alphaville on Twitter - links come through a lot faster than on RSS feeds.

Faisal Islam is a wild man, it's no surprise to me that he's on Twitter. "They're trying to silence m".

I was on Facebook for a while but it all seemed a bit girly, culminating in one of my friends wife telling me that her husband had asked her to say "hello" to me seeing my name on her list. I deleted the account very soon after that (and after hearing that the founder billionaire was by all accounts a twunt).

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Twitter is like a modern version of IRC, but with the ability to choose who you want in your room... Its useful for discovering stuff before other people find out, and useful for networking and tech conferences. Use it to get the chatter at conferences, oh and find out what to see and what others really think...

Facebook - People you went to school with

Twitter - People you wished you went to school with

They are essentially polar opposite websites

Archived