House Price Crash Forum

More Gold From Mumsnet

Ruffneck

HOLA441

Basically this woman is complaining that they live in a modest home and can't afford to move up the ladder.

Thing is her husband is in a low paying job and she DOESN'T WORK :lol:

If you can't afford kids don't 'ave em luv - no wonder more men are choosing not to get married it's just too much hassle.

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/1059750-to-be-fed-of-of-my-small-house

Ok, I probably am BU. I know there are people far worse off but I am fed up 'making do' all the time.

I was brought up in a family where we weren't rich at all, didn't have foreign holidays etc but we were comfortable. We had a decent size 3 bed house, it was ex council but they used to be built to a good size with a lovely size garden.

I meet DH, he has always 'made do.' He used to think I was posh for having a tv that had a remote. He used a snooker cue to change channels. They used to hire a car when they went away, we always had one (not top of the range by any means, but we had a car).

Me and DH moved in together. We rented flats. Not a problem, however we were constantly moving as we always had shite landlords that refused to fix anything. We moved 7 times in 7 years. One flat we were in for 3 and a half years. Lovely size, 2 bed, I got pregnant then we got evicted because I asked them (yet again) to fix the sodding boiler (thats not how I put it btw). About 3 flats we were in for 5-7 months because of awful landlord problems.

We finally got a shared ownership house, all we could afford was a tiny 2 bed, still better than renting. I cannot work due to health problems. DH has a very low paid job supporting a family of 3, soon to be 4. We can afford to live but we aren't comfortable. Everything has to be saved for and we holiday with tokens from The Sun.

DH is happy to plod along in life. I always hoped we were getting towards somewhere, like a decent home where we could finally settle with our children (unlikely to have anymore after our 2).

I was brought up in an old fashioned household where the man went out and provided for his family (grandparents) and my grandad can't understand why DH doesn't get (or hasn't ever tried) to get a better job to provide for his family and is happy just to go along with it.

It has become apparent that unless we win the lottery or some wealthy relative (don't have any) left us anything, we are stuck. I really don't see anyway forward from here and I am actually afraid that this is it. My friends all have lovely houses where they can actually invite us over for meals as the have room. We have a living room and kitchen downstairs, not even a hallway. No space for a table so tea is on our laps. I'm too embarrassed to have people over for tea.

I am hormonal (to out it mildly) so please be gentle.

Its just getting me down and I know I should feel grateful and make the best of what we have but I am fed up of it being a shit tip because we have to room and no storage and DH just chucks things on the kitchen side because there is no where to put anything and it is just a big mess everywhere.

I'll stop moaning now. blush

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Meanwhile on Dad's net

Does anyone know the cure for a missus that moans all of the time?

I have done my best - and her indoors is still not happy. She wanted kids - we have 'em. She fell in love with a pokey shared ownership house - so we bought it (I wanted to wait until the great house price crash of 2015-20).

She doesn't work because she is ill and whatever I earn still isn't enough to satisfy her soft furnishings addiction.

Any thoughts before I go down the pub to drown my sorrows and wonder how the hell I ended up like this.

Although to be honest he does sound a little lacking in get up and go.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

I feel sorry for her too.

Her husbands needs a bit of a rocket up his **** with a wife and kids at home.

Beyond that though, I appreciate her central point that life is just too hard. With a tiny bit more get up and go than her post demonstrates, I think she should have been able to be paying off an appropriate home and running some old banger car.

It isn't much but when we can piss billions up the wall on bankers bonuses, why can't we raise the lot of the average person just a notch. Getting by is only such a struggle because of the society we've created.

HOLA4411

Seriously guys it's stories like this that should make us all here realise how lucky we actually are....

....to be intelligent people and not ******wit retards so desperate to get on the ladder they bought a shitty little shared ownership, unsellable shoe box. Should have just stayed in rented if they couldn't afford it. Also condoms are free if you ask the doctor.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

She's clearly had an epiphany that she's married to a guy who has no ability (or desire) to step things up a notch and provide for a better lifestyle.

"... I am actually afraid that this is it". It certainly is luv!

I feel a bit sorry for her tbh.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

She's clearly had an epiphany that she's married to a guy who has no ability (or desire) to step things up a notch and provide for a better lifestyle.

It depends on what you want in life. If he's got everything he needs, and he enjoys his work, why the need for a "better lifestyle" and a "lovely house" to keep up with the Joneses. All to often we forget to appreciate what we already have.

If she's embarassed to have people over because her house is too small, perhaps she needs new friends, or a new outlook on life.

And given the shortage of space, why have 4 kids ?

She seems to be taking no responsibility for her predicament, and appears to be doing nothing to fix it either.

HOLA4420

lol you're telling me she couldnt run some internet business from home?

what about becoming an avon lady?

she said he used to think she was posh because she had a remote control and he changed channels with a pool cue - she knew what she was getting herself into when she married him so why complain about it now 10 years down the line

HOLA4421

It depends on what you want in life.  If he's got everything he needs, and he enjoys his work, why the need for a "better lifestyle" and a "lovely house" to keep up with the Joneses.  All to often we forget to appreciate what we already have.

If she's embarassed to have people over because her house is too small, perhaps she needs new friends, or a new outlook on life.

And given the shortage of space, why have 4 kids ?

She seems to be taking no responsibility for her predicament, and appears to be doing nothing to fix it either.

If she had a bigger house, she'd just moan she needed a cleaner.

I find myself in this predicament, having bought a massive house at the wife's request, she now proves too lazy to clean it.

HOLA4422

"... I am actually afraid that this is it". It certainly is luv!

I feel a bit sorry for her tbh.

Agreed.

I see life as much harder and more grinding than it has to be at the base line. Average person x deserves more considering how rich we are as a nation.

Fortunately, 10% more get up and go than the average pays you back in spades.

It's not right but you have to accept it if you want to get anywhere.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

With her supposedly incapable of working and with modest assets WTF is she doing having a 4th kid?

She is a symptom of everything that has gone wrong in our entitlement culture.

I assume she's including herself and her husband in the 'family of four', so she's got one kid already and another on the way.

HOLA4425

No sympathy from me. She just wants everything handed to her on a plate. Having more kids whilst complaining about the size of the place? And claiming to be to ill to work but having kids anyway? Face responsibility for your own actions and when you run into a hurdle trying to deal with your problems then I might listen.

Archived