House Price Crash Forum

I Don't Know What To Make Of This?

HOLA441
HOLA442

Are they auctioning the derelict farmhouse, the land or the new house that is about to be built upon it?

http://www.primelocation.com/chain-free-property/details/id/DEBK7454833

The derelict farmhouse with approx. 1 acre of land, is my reading.

I reckon they're hoping that the planning permission already granted will persuade someone to pay more than they would for a derelict house without pp, given that the buyer won't have to go through the hassle of applying.

HOLA443
HOLA444

They are selling a 1 acre plot with permission for a detached dwelling.

Land with planning is always worth more than without, not sure why the owner doesnt just build a house on it and sell the house set in1 acre but each to his own.

Because building a house is time consuming, risky, expensive, complicated, a ton of work, a right pain in the ass, and probably not net profitable over selling the land with PP?

HOLA445

Because building a house is time consuming, risky, expensive, complicated, a ton of work, a right pain in the ass, and probably not net profitable over selling the land with PP?

I dont know about it not being profitable, cant see how it wouldnt be tbh but it all depends on swansea.

Would take a lot of cash, time and be a royal pain in the ass as you say though.

Am sure that the owner has considered it though and done the maths.

Edited by richyc

HOLA446

Are they auctioning the derelict farmhouse, the land or the new house that is about to be built upon it?

http://www.primeloca.../id/DEBK7454833

To earn pocket money as a kid, one third acre grass/gardens took about 5hrs to cut on a ride on mower

x that by three for an acre unless you buy an ex pro contract-work one off a council.

Thats 2 days out of every 2 weeks during fast growing season just to keep grass looking neat!

But then, there are sheep & lamas (+ huge vet bills if they sicken)!

HOLA447
HOLA448

It's an interesting balance - if I were to buy a house that has been newly built on some nice land, I reckon I'd have to over-pay to get it (assuming I liked it). But do a self-build on the same land and try to sell it? I'd probably struggle to break-even and would have been better off sitting on the land/wreck and selling it on. Is it just me?

In a falling market the real value-adding developers versus (lucky) market-timers will be revealed.

(Better read the OP now. Oops.)

HOLA449

Have a look at the location on a map.

In my personal view the location is not somewhere I would want to live and, assuming the land goes for 250K, then the cost of buiding the house, what, another 100K, 150K?

Combine those two figures and you can buy a very nice house near the beach for that sum.

I am truly staggered personally that they are asking that price for that land in that location and hence why I wondered whether it included the fully built new house on it or not.

Personally I would not pay 250K for a house in that area but, I guess, someone might.

HOLA4410

TMT has a unique advantage - there are zillions of Polish housebuilders/plumbers etc living in poverty, unemployed in tents who could knock something up for minimal cost.

I would go to the continent/ireland for materials.

You could prob buy enough bricks/timber/cement/windows/taps/tiles/copper pipes/heating/electric bits in Ireland for peanuts from bust housing sites/ex building companies.

Only a short lorry drive from ferry to Ireland.

Edited by erranta

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

To earn pocket money as a kid, one third acre grass/gardens took about 5hrs to cut on a ride on mower

x that by three for an acre unless you buy an ex pro contract-work one off a council.

Thats 2 days out of every 2 weeks during fast growing season just to keep grass looking neat!

must have been a very slow mower. Had half an acre of garden at my cottage and it took about 20 mins to half an hour to cut the grass - and that was dodging dog toys, trees and navigating narrow bits. Not bothering to collect the grass of course. Ride on mowers are fantastic especially the new mulching ones. Only downside - they need an annual service and run on petrol so can cost you to keep the grass under control :D .

Edited by olliegog

HOLA4414

Did you not bother to turn the mower on?

An acre used to be defined by the amount one man and an ox could plough in a day.

So with a ride on mower surely it's half an hours work do do a thirdof an acre.

HOLA4415