Tax Abusers Of The Week

dog

HOLA441

Tax abuser of the week

Chief Executive

Haringey Council

North London

c.£160k plus benefits

Haringey Council is looking for an exceptional person to be our new Chief Executive - we are ambitious and having moved from weak to fair our aspirations don't stop there.

Funniest and most pointless job of the week

Head of Green Spaces

London Borough of Waltham Forest

East London

c.£72k

You will capitalise on our commitment to improvement and innovation by significantly contributing to and delivering our wide-ranging services, ensuring that the environment remains at the top of our corporate agenda.

Executive Director - Urban Living

Harrow Council

North London

c.£130k plus benefits

Your professional background is not important although experience in managing some of the service areas within Urban Living would be an advantage. What we really want is someone with outstanding management.

Chief Executive

Cornwall County Council

Cornwall

£148,611 p.a. plus benefits

Taking overall corporate management and operational responsibility, you will bring a strong corporate focus to the Council's work and ambitions for Cornwall.

Executive Director Family & Children's Services

The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea

Central London

£133,000 plus benefits

Executive Director Family & Children's Services.

Executive Director, Environmental Services

London Borough of Waltham Forest

East London

c.£118k

You will capitalise on our commitment to improvement and innovation by significantly contributing to and delivering our wide-ranging services, ensuring that the environment remains at the top of our corporate agenda.

Strategic Director

Derbyshire County Council

Derbyshire

£110,000 pa

Your challenge will be to lead the integration of education and social care services, forging shared objectives, implementing cultural change and evolving new working practices to meet the challenges ahead.

Deputy Director of Children's Services - Learning and School Effectiveness

East Sussex County Council

East Sussex

£90,290 - £97,747

If you'd like to help lead an exciting service that's paving the way to the future and integrating Children's Services, please get in touch.

Regional Director

Government Office for the West Midlands

West Midlands

£110,000

You will lead the Government Office for the West Midlands, ensuring the coherent delivery of policies and programmes and influencing relevant policy development in Whitehall.

Director of Schools Service

Ealing Council

West London

circa £110,000

We require a high calibre, experienced and influential senior manager to promote school improvement and equality of achievement for all school pupils. As an exceptional leader you will ensure staff deliver a high quality, customer centric.

Chief Executive

Norwich City Council

Norfolk

£120,000

We are looking for an inspirational leader and manager who can help shape the City's development and enable the council to be an active agent working with the community and a wide range of partners.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

So, once again (I don't know why I bother but I just can't seem to help myself) you think educating kids, looking after vulnerable people, caring for the environment or even being responsible for the whole of Cornwall aren't important. What salary do you think these jobs should pay?

HOLA443
Guest pioneer31
What salary do you think these jobs should pay?

salaries that are in line with other sectors and not jobs for the boys, quango, gravy train type salaries?

This is interesting

"Your professional background is not important although experience in managing some of the service areas within Urban Living would be an advantage. What we really want is someone with outstanding management"

That's because the guy whose name is on the job (inbred relative of someone on the council) hasn't got any professional experience.

Edited by pioneer31

HOLA444
So, once again (I don't know why I bother but I just can't seem to help myself) you think educating kids, looking after vulnerable people, caring for the environment or even  being responsible for the whole of Cornwall aren't important.  What salary do you think these jobs should pay?

I am told that a recent times article revealed that public sector pay is now way beyond the private sector. Added to this they have gold plated perks and pensions.

A chief executive of a local council should be on £30-£35K (not £160).

They take no career risks and there is no penalty for failure. Other than where they commit murder or rape (in office hours) they can never lose their jobs. They work short hours, they take long holidays and have incredible perks. Most of them treat sick leave like additional holiday entitlement.

HOLA445
salaries that are in line with other sectors and not jobs for the boys, quango, gravy train type salaries?

This is interesting

"Your professional background is not important although experience in managing some of the service areas within Urban Living would be an advantage. What we really want is someone with outstanding management"

That's because the guy whose name is on the job (inbred relative of someone on the council) hasn't got any professional experience.

So what do you think the chief executive of an organisation with a turnover of £472 million earns in the private sector, then? And I'll give you a clue, it's not dog's ridiculous figure of £30 - 40K.

HOLA446

I wonder how many overpaid jobs in the city are on the pages of the FT or the Telegraph this week. You know the ones, £150k a year plus bonus plus non contributory pension, etc., etc. You know, jobs that arent available to applicants really but are for the old boy network, public school clowns who thru family connections and family money have never had to struggle for anything. You know the type, stripped of their unearned advantages would be living on some scummy estate, chavving it up.

Of course they cost the ordinary consumer and investor thousands every year, idiotically chasing the market for short-term profiteering, destroying businesses up and down the country. For example, Nissan, Ford, Honda can all make cars profitably in the UK ( believe me they are not sudsidising UK workers ), however British managers/investors in charge and its a disaster.

Every week we get the same bullox sprouted about wasted taxes, for heads of education, social services etc. but the same individual who posts these never posts any of these disgraceful graft and cronyism jobs which exists in the corporate world. Rather one sided?

HOLA447
So what do you think the chief executive of an organisation with a turnover of £472 million earns in the private sector, then?  And I'll give you a clue,  it's not dog's ridiculous figure of £30 - 40K.

A CEO in the private sector has competition, a Chief Executive in the public sector doesn't !

HOLA448
HOLA449
A CEO in the private sector has competition, a Chief Executive in the public sector doesn't !

What utter and complete ******. Nepotism is rife in the private sector, far more so than in the public sector. And where are the private sector jobs that cost us as consumers far more? As has been pointed out, never mentioned.

Shall we look for a comparable ad for a chief executive of a private company with a turnover of around £500 million and see what that pays, just in the interests of fair comparison?

No, thought not.

HOLA4410

I understand that the council for Brixham (I believe) flew out to New York as there was a yacht competition or something from New York to Brixham and they wanted to see them off before they got to Brixham.

When they got to Brixham, there were NO council members around to greet them.

Waste of **ck*ing money!

HOLA4411
What utter and complete ******.  Nepotism is rife in the private sector, far more so than in the public sector.  And where are the private sector jobs that cost us as consumers far more?  As has been pointed out, never mentioned.

Shall we look for a comparable ad for a chief executive of a private company with a turnover of around £500 million and see what that pays, just in the interests of fair comparison?

No, thought not.

I think I'm going to start a thread, useless selfserving t0ssers in the private sector, listing all the overpaid, 'director of .. ' , get googling!

HOLA4412
So what do you think the chief executive of an organisation with a turnover of £472 million earns in the private sector, then?  And I'll give you a clue,  it's not dog's ridiculous figure of £30 - 40K.

Quite right but in the private sector the Chief Executive is accountable to someone. Councils spend £472 million because they are incompetant, wasteful and unaccountable. They are like children with millions of pounds in pocket money. For example, the administrative cost of purchasing a stapler in the public sector is between £100 and £400 (and all they have to do is buy it). A private sector company can build a computer and send it half way round the world for less money.

HOLA4413
I understand that the council for Brixham (I believe) flew out to New York as there was a yacht competition or something from New York to Brixham and they wanted to see them off before they got to Brixham.

When they got to Brixham, there were NO council members around to greet them.

Waste of **ck*ing money!

What's that got to do with public sector salaries? You're talking about councillors, not paid employees.

HOLA4414

I don't care what people in the private sectors earn - they have to compete in open markets. It's no-one else's business.

I do care what public servants earn and those salaries are ludicrously high bearing in mind they cannot be sacked, have great pensions etc.

I believe in today's economy no public servant should earn more than 60k. In case you forget, its our taxes and council tax they are spending. I don't want to spend 2k a year to have my bins emptied. I certainly don't want to contribute to a salary of 133k for a chief executive of a bloody council.

What strategic decisions to they have to take for heaven's sake. Who is competing with them? No-one measures their performance, there is no profit motive and no price to pay for failure.

Having said that those jobs surprise me. On my local council web site they want degrees for quite crappy sounding jobs.

HOLA4415
Quite right but in the private sector the Chief Executive is accountable to someone. Councils spend £472 million because they are incompetant, wasteful and unaccountable. They are like children with millions of pounds in pocket money. For example, the administrative cost of purchasing a stapler in the public sector is between £100 and £400 (and all they have to do is buy it). A private sector company can build a computer and send it half way round the world for less money.

Can you back that up? I have worked in the public sector, and that, is just not true.

HOLA4416
I wonder how many overpaid jobs in the city are on the pages of the FT or the Telegraph this week. You know the ones, £150k a year plus bonus plus non contributory pension, etc., etc. You know, jobs that arent available to applicants really but are for the old boy network, public school clowns who thru family connections and family money have never had to struggle for anything. You know the type, stripped of their unearned advantages would be living on some scummy estate, chavving it up.

Of course they cost the ordinary consumer and investor thousands every year, idiotically chasing the market for short-term profiteering, destroying businesses up and down the country. For example, Nissan, Ford, Honda can all make cars profitably in the UK ( believe me they are not sudsidising UK workers ), however British managers/investors in charge and its a disaster.

Every week we get the same bullox sprouted about wasted taxes, for heads of education, social services etc. but the same individual who posts these never posts any of these disgraceful graft and cronyism jobs which exists in the corporate world. Rather one sided?

True but city jobs are not paid with public money and old people are not reduced to poverty so that low calibre public servants can live like Tsars.

HOLA4417

So you would trust someone content to work for £30-40k with a budget of almost £500 million, would you?

The comparison with the private sector is entirely valid, responsibility for public money and services on which lives depend should command a salary commensurate with that. Yet you defend the eyewatering salary of some city wideboy who produces nothing and has no responsibility because it's not public money.

HOLA4418
I don't care what people in the private sectors earn - they have to compete in open markets. It's no-one else's business.

I do care what public servants earn and those salaries are ludicrously high bearing in mind they cannot be sacked, have great pensions etc.

I believe in today's economy no public servant should earn more than 60k. In case you forget, its our taxes and council tax they are spending. I don't want to spend 2k a year to have my bins emptied. I certainly don't want to contribute to a salary of 133k for a chief executive of a bloody council.

What strategic decisions to they have to take for heaven's sake. Who is competing with them? No-one measures their performance, there is no profit motive and no price to pay for failure.

Having said that those jobs surprise me. On my local council web site they want degrees for quite crappy sounding jobs.

They dont have to compete in the private sector, its the old boy network everytime.

In the private sector they dont get sacked either, they resign with huge pensions and golden handshakes, to resurface a couple of years later to fvck up some other company.

Salary levels are comparable with other organisations of similar sizes, in fact probably less if you take into account the off sheet benefits, bonuses, travel, and the like of corporate 'go-getters'.

Strategic decisions, well running the education or social services of an average borough must include some strategic control? Or are they just making it up as they are going along? Somehow I doubt it.

They are accountable to our elected representatives, ultimately the electorate. If you dont like it speak to your councillors.

Of course you need a degree to do rubbish council jobs, its the same in the private sector, you need a degree.

Any more ill-infomed comments?

HOLA4419
What utter and complete ******.  Nepotism is rife in the private sector, far more so than in the public sector.  And where are the private sector jobs that cost us as consumers far more?  As has been pointed out, never mentioned.

No, thought not.

Lets not play ping pong. Im not talking about nepotism, im talking from a business perspective.

A council rakes in money through council taxation - private companies have to earn there money, a big difference in how the organisations perform and operate id say!!

HOLA4420
Can you back that up? I have worked in the public sector, and that, is just not true.

The stapler example came from a leaked report on MOD spending a couple of years ago. You do not need to look far however to see incompetence in every aspect of the public services. CSA. Passport office computer, DSS computer, Millenium dome, supplies for troops, BSE, Foot and mouth. In fact almost anything you can name. The cost of state education is now higher that many fee paying schools and yet the children are taught in classes of 30-40 they have no games and no after school activities. Many of the teachers would not be able to hold down any sort of job in the private sector.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
Lets not play ping pong. Im not talking about nepotism, im talking from a business perspective.

A council rakes in money through council taxation - private companies have to earn there money, a big difference in how the organisations perform and operate id say!!

So you don't know what nepotism means. Not a lot of point in continuing this when you literally don't know what you're talking about, is there?

HOLA4423
So you would trust someone content to work for £30-40k with a budget of almost £500 million, would you? 

The comparison with the private sector is entirely valid, responsibility for public money and services on which lives depend should command a salary commensurate with that.  Yet you defend the eyewatering salary of some city wideboy who produces nothing and has no responsibility because it's not public money.

Fair comment Blue Lady however the point I am making is that any fool can waste money. It is quite possible that the £500 m could be reduced to less than £100 m with professional management. The public sector use extremely low calibre people. I have met some of these people and in my experience they are jargon spewing drones with a very strong sense of political correctness. Providing they keep using words like inclusivity, safety and racist in every other sentence, they rise to the top.

HOLA4424
So you don't know what nepotism means.  Not a lot of point in continuing this when you literally don't know what you're talking about, is there?

Your missing my original point which has nothing to do with nepotism, it was stuff to do with business competition ie not members of staff or nepotism in the work place!!!

HOLA4425
The stapler example came from a leaked report on MOD spending a couple of years ago. You do not need to look far however to see incompetence in every aspect of the public services. CSA. Passport office computer, DSS computer, Millenium dome, supplies for troops, BSE, Foot and mouth. In fact almost anything you can name. The cost of state education is now higher that many fee paying schools and yet the children are taught in classes of 30-40 they have no games and no after school activities. Many of the teachers would not be able to hold down any sort of job in the private sector.

Got a link to the stapler incident?

So who are you complaining to about it? Public servants are accountable to politicians who are accountable to the electorate.

What I dont think you understand is that the public sector is not a business, it has to deal with all the cr@p - some of which is created by the private sector, a slightly more difficult task than scamming the consumer for the benefit of lazy fatcat ex-public school boys.