House Price Crash Forum

Can't Home "owners" Afford A Full Tank Of Petrol Any More?!

It's much easier reversing my car off the drive than driving out forwards - the drivers seat is about two feet from the rear bumper and 8 feet from the front one. I get a much clearer view of the road reversing out without having to put 2 thirds of my car into the road first

What do you drive. One of those American dragsters? I think you need to get a tape measure out and check out those numbers :unsure:

The fact that anyone thinks that their car has those dimensions explains the parking fiasco that occurs every day in my local Tesco car park. :lol:

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of people fall for the hype! I.e. 50MPG when what they mean is in a wind tunnel with no gear changes with zero air resistence cooled air and laboratory conditions. I mean everything is marketted as 40mph or 50mpg (granted my Toyota really does get 48mpg because I sit on the motorway a lot) but BMW man's car is advertised at 46mpg but in reality he gets no more than 12mpg

Bad luck if your company is using the government advisory rates for fuel expenses!

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cars/advisory_fuel_current.htm

I always drive like an old lady when on company business, I don't pay to drive for someone else.

What do you drive. One of those American dragsters? I think you need to get a tape measure out and check out those numbers :unsure:

The fact that anyone thinks that their car has those dimensions explains the parking fiasco that occurs every day in my local Tesco car park. :lol:

Measured from the driver's head, the numbers are correct to the nearest 6" or so.

And i can park it perfectly well, thanks.

The fact is that all cars have become huge over the last 20 years or so, not to mention insanely heavy.

No you are right, thats a completely different scenario and I understand because I have an expensive hobby myself and I do it for my own enjoyment like you with your car. I'm just shocked at the number of porsches, bentley's, astons etc that I see on the roads today, are these people bankers?

Interesting topic....

Quite a few colleagues of mine at work and a hand ful of friends drive exprnsive cars however I checked Auto trader for an indication of costs for 2nd hand cars (taking mileage into considerartion) and they are damn affordable (as a one-off cost).. so people sometimes buy these cars not factoring in the running cost...

As a slight twist to the topic... work colleagues / friends tend to use their car NOT for commuting to work (I aint no CIO, CEO etc ) but mainly for weekend pleasures or evening (after work commutes) .. so how much more affordable inc running cost is this to do when they only drive their cars/4x4's etc for 2 full days (sat / sun) in a 7 day week on average..

Gotta point this out ToW, but not all gas guzzling car drivers 'own' their own home. Probably the opposite. :huh:

:rolleyes: I would say there is alot of truth in that...their wheels are their homes, their own personal space...all the fuel is, is the running costs. ;)

Perhaps the person the OP observed was about to hand the car over to the wife for a day or two. :)

Fuel isn't the ultimate distress purchase, depreciation is. I've given up on economical diesel german cars, they plummet in value proportionally more than the very fast and rarer guzzly german cars. Unless you're doing 20k miles per year or more, it's very easy to save money buying the 25mpg car vs the 50mpg one.

I do 40+K a year usually. I go for a cheap diesel, maybe 1.5-2k £ on ebay at the end of its depreciation curve - say 80k miles. I would go for a LPG but the advantage of a diesel is that you don't need to service them (its just a con by garages) so I just aim to put another 80k or so on the clock and scrap it.

I still can' get my head around the number of expensive vehicles on the roads compared to only 10 years ago, you would never know that this country was in meltdown and no wonder this govt thinks we all have deep pockets.

Me too, I think theres a parallel with house prices in that because of easy credit people have a very skewed perception of what constitutes "alot of money". A quarter of a million quid on a house is "a bargain" and half a million "normal". I wonder if 500k for a house and 50k for car would seem so "reasonable" if you actually to earn the f*cking money to pay it. Even for me, someone whose takehome pay is 6-8k a month, a quarter of a million still seems like an vast amount of money when I'm faced with the prospect of actually earning it, dotti for 50k to blow on a car. I wonder how many people would buy a 30K+ car if they actually had to earn the money first and hand it over. [for the record I have blown 30k on a car no credit involved]

Edited by goldbug9999

Me too, I think theres a parallel with house prices in that because of easy credit people have a very skewed perception of what constitutes "alot of money". A quarter of a million quid on a house is "a bargain" and half a million "normal". I wonder if 500k for a house and 50k for car would seem so "reasonable" if you actually to earn the f*cking money to pay it. Even for me, someone whose takehome pay is 6-8k a month, a quarter of a million still seems like an vast amount of money when I'm faced with the prospect of actually earning it, dotti for 50k to blow on a car. I wonder how many people would buy a 30K+ car if they actually had to earn the money first and hand it over. [for the record I have blown 30k on a car no credit involved]

Exactly.

The 2 most expensive things most people buy in their lives are houses and cars. And I think most car buyers in Britain still borrow to buy a car. OK, if you really have to, but sensible people would then buy an used car. Not borrow to buy a silly flashy car that will depreciate per month more than the buyers salary! (I bet there are many like that - I know a few.) And this type of people is the same that would over-stretch to buy a house.

Measured from the driver's head, the numbers are correct to the nearest 6" or so.

And i can park it perfectly well, thanks.

The only car I can think of that would be anywhere near two feet from the driver to the back bumper is a Lotus 7.