House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
cardiffone

What Do Do With 100K?

Lucky enough to have 100K going spare from the sale of out last house, hoping to use it to fund the next step up the ladder when prices crash ;)

At the moment in a ( "premier" ) bank account getting about £90 a month, not sure what that works out in interest.

My ISA's are full.

So I need quickish access if property prices do fall enough so that the £100K is enough to get a much better house than my present one.

Also note I have no pension ( yet ) and I'm in my mid 30's, married 1 child.

Any advice would be great.

Lucky enough to have 100K going spare from the sale of out last house, hoping to use it to fund the next step up the ladder when prices crash ;)

Put at least 10% in insured allocated physical gold bullion, either with BullionVault or Goldmoney.

If you tend to be paranoid, put another 10% into sovs or Brits in your possession.

Put the rest into any inflation-linked account you can find that allows withdrawals. Make it a joint account so you are covered by the guarantee.

That should cover most bases.

Put at least 10% in insured allocated physical gold bullion, either with BullionVault or Goldmoney.

If you tend to be paranoid, put another 10% into sovs or Brits in your possession.

Put the rest into any inflation-linked account you can find that allows withdrawals. Make it a joint account so you are covered by the guarantee.

I'd also suggest diversifying a good proportion of the remainder into a couple of other currencies (avoid $ or EUR for now).

If you are a high rate tax payer, you should definitely put "some" into a pension, sounds like you have some left over even after a home deposit and ISAs. Its a 67% return guaranteed NO risk. Pension plans are extremely flexible now, and the rules make them an attractive alternative, that even if you want to work until you die, they are still a great investment.

Or if you if want to risk a bit, the emerging market equities have been on a serious bull run for 2 years now, although it might all end in tears...

Thanks for the advice so far, yes I am a higher rate tax payer, but am self-employer and am going to change from sole trader to ltd anytime now, so don't know if I'll still be a higher rate tax payer or not.

The lack of pension is starting to worry me... though must point out the money for investment is half my wifes.

I aim to raise 100k investing and then quit my job. Trading on 100k could give a decent annual wage for yourself, no rat race, and lots of precious leisure time :)

Not even close. Most day traders lose money and 100k is not a sufficient amount to stop work for. You would need five times that, maybe more if you are young and don't want to live in a bus shelter.

My niece was a high powered city trader who thought she might as well trade on her own account rather than make money for Parabas and lasted a few weeks before she had just about lost it all.

Boats are getting cheaper. You'll not get get a Bénéteau 50 for 30 grand though (if you see one let me know, I'll make it worth your while). If we get a full on depression I think stuff might start to get silly cheap at auction. Boats are like houses - the existing owner thinks its worth about 30% more than reality and will not sell but needs the money and then expects to buy back in at 20% less than reality. Human nature I guess.

Not really speaking froggy meself, but is that not 83k + 1.5k a month? ie down payment + 200k on tick?

Well spotted - yes. Hence a 2011 boat for sale in 2010. Damn. Still out of my price range though.

Who does these inflation linked accounts?

The junior mining sector has been very good to me this year, growing my deposit fund by 150%+.

I'm currently invested in copper and gold producers, and iron ore exploration.

Companies that might be worth a look include Weatherly International (WTI) - with two copper mines in Namibia coming onstream in Q1 2011, and African Aura Mining (AAAM), who have just raised funds again for further exploration of their Iron and Gold assets in Liberia, Cameroon & Sierra Leone. Lots of others out there with excellent growth prospects for the year ahead. No advice intended, and do you own research etc.

The junior mining sector has been very good to me this year, growing my deposit fund by 150%+.

I'm currently invested in copper and gold producers, and iron ore exploration.

Companies that might be worth a look include Weatherly International (WTI) - with two copper mines in Namibia coming onstream in Q1 2011, and African Aura Mining (AAAM), who have just raised funds again for further exploration of their Iron and Gold assets in Liberia, Cameroon & Sierra Leone. Lots of others out there with excellent growth prospects for the year ahead. No advice intended, and do you own research etc.

Did anybody read this? Someone asked me to post from anotherr thread.

Weatherly is up by nearly 100% since time of posting, plus AAAM up 15% or so.

Edited by ftbinthewaiting

Did anybody read this? Someone asked me to post from anotherr thread.

Weatherly is up by nearly 100% since time of posting, plus AAAM up 15% or so.

I did. Most interesting. I too am into gold /silver and copper trading. Plus funds of course.