House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Brian Potter

Thick People

Next door neighbours have just put up their house for sale for the second time since April '04.

April 2004 - asking price £219, 950

September 2005 - asking price £239, 950

It didnt sell first time round - so htf will it now?

Either the EA is thick or the vendor is.

Next door neighbours have just put up their house for sale for the second time since April '04.

April 2004 - asking price £219, 950

September 2005 - asking price £239, 950

It didnt sell first time round - so htf will it now?

Either the EA is thick or the vendor is.

The crash will take time, it takes a while for reality to sink in with sheeple.

Moneyweek are prediciting the bubble will really burst in 2008 for the UK, so we've another 2yrs of gently drifting south before things collapse.

Maybe the Estate Agent thinks that people will automatically discount 10-15%, giving them the same sort of £ they expected in April? I'm noticing that the offers over price in Glasgow is going up, but the price accepted is staying stable - people might think they're getting more of a bargain if they pay 10% over asking price rather than the "norm" of 20%

Estate Agents use ever psychological strategy going - I don't think that makes them thick, just manipulative.

Maybe the Estate Agent thinks that people will automatically discount 10-15%, giving them the same sort of £ they expected in April? I'm noticing that the offers over price in Glasgow is going up, but the price accepted is staying stable - people might think they're getting more of a bargain if they pay 10% over asking price rather than the "norm" of 20%

I think this may well be true. However, the property was vastly over priced even twelve months ago. Methinks they may be in for a long wait.

The crash will take time, it takes a while for reality to sink in with sheeple.

Moneyweek are prediciting the bubble will really burst in 2008 for the UK, so we've another 2yrs of gently drifting south before things collapse.

Oh you read that mag as well, funnily enough I was going to bring that article into the forum, some economics boffin claims that its the price of land that should require special monitoring not actual house prices. It was a thoughtful read.

We rent a flat on a development built about 7 yrs ago. Cost per flat then was approx £60k, they are all pretty much identical, 2 beds, commucal garden etc. We are the only renters.

Within the last 3 months 5 of the other 13 flats have been put up for sale, 4 priced at £149k- £152k. The 5th is on the market for £159,950 - the owner of this told me she felt sorry for FTBs as prices are so high nowadays she doesn't know how they cope. There has been no interest in any of them, so why she /the EA think they can justify £10k extra I don't know.

That's interesting to hear, my own feeling for a while is that the time-to-buy envelope will open around about Oct 2007. Got a link to the moneyweek article?

I think this may well be true. However, the property was vastly over priced even twelve months ago. Methinks they may be in for a long wait.

In a discussion about house prices with a friend, he pointed out that prices hadn't fallen, because his house was recently valued at £275k, which was excatly the same as he was offered 15 months earlier (that sale felll through).

He is now finding out that no-one is offering more than £249k (presumably to undercut the stamp duty threshold)

I bought a car stereo for £99 at halfords it was down from £199!! Anyway looked on the internet later to see if it really was a bargain, turned out it was on a few sites for £79.99.

Thing is with a car stereo I didn't do much research. If however I was spending £200,000 on a house I 'might' have a look at a few :) The real bargains will sell themselves most of the others will remain unsold or be bought by the odd brainless shepple. Anyway still a downward elevator!!

I saw a house in the EA last week for £169k, described as needing modernisation. Compared to other houses in the area (asking prices) it looked like a bargain. I went home and checked the sale price of other houses in the area. The house next door had sold the month before for £127k. In fact no house had ever sold on that street for more than £147k and that was overpriced compared to other sale prices on the street.

EA's are putting up prices to absorb lower offers....a sign of the times :)