House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ralphmalph

Council Non Jobs - Tpa Report

I was pleasantly suprised that Dudley and Wyre Forest (the 2 large council areas near me) have 1 diversity officer each but no political or European posts. B+.

Interestingly, the post in Dudley pays 50% more but I expect that it's full time (and Wyre Forest part time / shared) and has a much more 'diverse' population to actually have contact with.

Remind me how much we spend on translation services?

Has anything new been published on that?

Spain doesn't translate in their nhs.

Don't know about the rest of EU.

Most of them are probably subcontracted to some 'training company' led by the likes of Germaine Greer, Lee Jasper or similar. Who'll sign your company/department/quango off as being not racist and not sexist, for a little profit, of course.

Any organisation who declines to pay these mafia/companies a handsome sum for their guidence is quite obviously a racist sexist sweatshop and fair game for character assasination.

I note that many councils have none of these non-jobs at all - so why do others find them necessary ?

There is a danger that some councils will cut essential services whilst keeping all their non-jobs - how can this be prevented ?

Here is a press report from Wales - interesting to see how these sopkespersons try to justify their waste of resources.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/welsh-politics/welsh-politics-news/2010/10/12/pressure-group-calls-on-councils-to-cut-unnecessary-jobs-91466-27450722/

Many small councils have free Spanish lessons though. The signs in the council buildings are often in English too, especially where they've been 'invaded.'

Go to the police though, there is a charge for a translator.

Edited by deflation

Many small councils have free Spanish lessons though. The signs in the council buildings are often in English too, especially where they've been 'invaded.'

Yep just paid it even though I can speak a small amount of Spanish 30 Euros

England Free

was working on a government site down south a few years ago and they had an equality and diversity dept. that took up nearly a whole floor of one of the buildings. They had two big office spaces, an interview room and their own dedicated meeting area. And in a spectacular celebration of diversity with only a couple of exceptions the staff in it were all white middle aged females.

The german hospital told me that I would need to take my own translator to my out patient appointment, but unsurprisingly, the doctor spoke good english so I didn't actually need him, but non-english speakers would.

tim

If you are at the police because you have been charged with an offence then charging for translation service is illegal under EU Human rights legislation (and, for once, quite right too!)

tim

The UK, and the public sector in particular, seems to have this bizarre, nervous fixation about 'offending' and a bizarre collection of completely untrue ideas about what the law does and does not allow. One of my colleagues thought that it was a legal requirement to show ethnics in any pictures published in company literature. Another thought the term 'brainstorm' was illegal because it offended epileptics. A five second check on Google revealed this was nonsense - why do people get these weird ideas?!