House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

profitofdoom

Philip Green

Now we really get to the meat of the cuts.When competitive tendering came in for council contracts some of the bidders were so desperate to get the work that they bid prices that they couldn't get the job done for.The same applies with the big supermarkets who screw their suppliers.The Government needs to get in on this and use their muscle and buying power to ensure that suppliers make F.A. out of the deals.Only when we see their suppliers going into liquidation will we know that the price is right.

Now we really get to the meat of the cuts.When competitive tendering came in for council contracts some of the bidders were so desperate to get the work that they bid prices that they couldn't get the job done for.The same applies with the big supermarkets who screw their suppliers.The Government needs to get in on this and use their muscle and buying power to ensure that suppliers make F.A. out of the deals.Only when we see their suppliers going into liquidation will we know that the price is right.

I thought I heard on the radio today that Green had identified - among other things - spending on IT contractors at £1k per day "for no readily identifiable work".

What is wrong with our councils?

Paying over the odds, getting locked into contracts that the private sector wouldn't entertain - is this a particularly British [civil service] disease?

The argument seems to run that the more you privatise, the more you lower costs and increase efficiency. While I can see that in many cases, that might be true, I can also see that the problem appears to be one of sheer incompetence in Local Government. Why do we tolerate this, and how do people keep their jobs?

I thought I heard on the radio today that Green had identified - among other things - spending on IT contractors at £1k per day "for no readily identifiable work".

What is wrong with our councils?

Paying over the odds, getting locked into contracts that the private sector wouldn't entertain - is this a particularly British [civil service] disease?

The argument seems to run that the more you privatise, the more you lower costs and increase efficiency. While I can see that in many cases, that might be true, I can also see that the problem appears to be one of sheer incompetence in Local Government. Why do we tolerate this, and how do people keep their jobs?

From what I have seen of this at Council level the problem is that the people who do the negotiating havn't got a clue and because it isn't their money don't care.My local council some years ago wanted to replace the Chaoirman's car.They used a top of the range Ford Granada that at the time cost around £18k.As the car only covered about 5000 miles a year I argued that a second hand one would do.I had access to some excellent ex company Vauxhall Omegas with minimal mileages and offered to supply one at no profit for £6000,thereby saving the council £12k.They said NO!

Honestly, just stop shopping with supermarkets and chain stores. Boycott them. It's not hard to do if you make a modicum of effort. People like Green and Leahy have no redeeming qualities whatsoever. They shouldn't be public figures. They make the world bland and monotonous - they are the capitalist equivalent of Soviet grey concrete.