House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
NatalieJUK

How Close To A Motorway Is Too Close?

I love this house, which is a bit too close to the M60 for my liking:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-26589637.html

But then I thought, if people can live THIS close:

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/11338790?utm_source=ood&utm_medium=feeds&utm_content=11338790&refer=ood11338790

According to the map, it's handily located on the hard shoulder. Hence, perhaps:

21 Jun 2010 First day listed (price £250,000)

19 Aug 2010 Price changed from £250,000 to £190,000

How much can trees and UPVC do with noise?

My friends house is about half a mile from the M5 on the oiutskirts of Birmingham. Inside the house the road noise is low but outside in the garden it is a constant loud drone of road surface noise.

My friends house is about half a mile from the M5 on the oiutskirts of Birmingham. Inside the house the road noise is low but outside in the garden it is a constant loud drone of road surface noise.

Likewise renting within 1/2 mile of the M4. No way I would buy this house even at a bargain price, you can't even open a window for the constant racket.

Keep looking.

Thanks. I find the DEFRA site really helpful:

http://services.defra.gov.uk/wps/portal/noise/!ut/p/c5/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3hnd0cPE3MfAwMD42BTA093f1Nvk2ATAwMTE_1wkA7cKgyMIfIGOICjgb6fR35uqn5Bdnaao6OiIgCFDsNU/dl3/d3/L3dDb0EvUU5RTGtBISEvWUZSdndBISEvNl9DR0FINDdMMDAwM1M1MElHTzVLNFM0MDBDMA!!/

Although it doesn't mention the chief source of noise in my own road in E17, which appears to be Police, Camera, Action! helicopters flying overhead.

that's a nice house.

Can't you schedule a viewing for the middle of the day (when there's no traffic jams and you'll hear the noise of cars/trucks going fast)?

I'm about 1500ft from the motorway.

Some days you don't hear it at all - but some days it even sounds like the sea...

Thats very close though and I imagine it's a dull roar all the time.

You'd not enjoy the garden. Or the windows open.

But go and see - stand outside during rush hour - pick a dry and a wet day as it's different and it varies according to the way the wind blows

If you have shed loads then buy this

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-27944443.html

and do it up!

:)

Edited by SarahBell

I'm about 1500ft from the motorway.

Some days you don't hear it at all - but some days it even sounds like the sea...

Thats very close though and I imagine it's a dull roar all the time.

You'd not enjoy the garden. Or the windows open.

But go and see - stand outside during rush hour - pick a dry and a wet day as it's different and it varies according to the way the wind blows

If you have shed loads then buy this

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-27944443.html

and do it up!

:)

Well...one of the main things I've missed since I moved to London is the sea... Garden's crucial to me though, so perhaps it wouldn't be the best move after all.

Oh my God, that place is amazing! Why is it so cheap? I know it needs complete refurbishment and that, but still. I can't believe that there are so many new builds up for so much money when there are places like that to be had.

Well...one of the main things I've missed since I moved to London is the sea... Garden's crucial to me though, so perhaps it wouldn't be the best move after all.

Oh my God, that place is amazing! Why is it so cheap? I know it needs complete refurbishment and that, but still. I can't believe that there are so many new builds up for so much money when there are places like that to be had.

It's in Blackley.

I just looked at the Wikipedia Entry for Blackley, pronounced 'Blakeley'. It spawned Bernard Manning. :(

So...it's bad then?

let's just say ... it's a complete and utter sh1thole!

It's in Middleton. On a busy road. With very little garden compared to house size.

Not viewed it - CBA though.

It's been on market for while overpriced - and is boarded up now so presumably kids have been in and smashed windows.

It's in Blackley.

I think he meant the one in middleton I linked to actually...

I don't know if middleton ever spawned anyone exciting... or bad...

They have a huge tesco just opened...

Edited by SarahBell

I think he meant the one in middleton I linked to actually...

I don't know if middleton ever spawned anyone exciting... or bad...

They have a huge tesco just opened...

You're absolutely right. My apologies, I skim read the thread having clicked on the £430k one near the M60 in Blackley.

The Blackley M60 house has been reduced:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-26589637.html

22 October 2010 21:13:06 * Price changed: from '£439,000' to '£395,000'

I'm wondering how bad Blackley would have to be to put me off...

I cannot stress enough what a shitehole Blackley is.

It's not just noise you've got to worry about.

A doctor mate reckons if you're within 2 miles of a motorway your chances of having some sort of respiratory problems after a few years are way, way higher.

It's not just noise you've got to worry about.

A doctor mate reckons if you're within 2 miles of a motorway your chances of having some sort of respiratory problems after a few years are way, way higher.

Wow, two miles rules a lot of stuff out.

Good to know though - thanks.

Looking at the map though, it's not really Blackley is it? It's more 'M60 borders.'

Its about 500 metres to Victoria Avenue. Its Blackley.

Also, if you have kids, the nearest high school would be Plant Hill, which scored a massive 17% 5 A* to C GCSE in 2009. Has been turned into an 'Academy' now. Same intake though.

Its about 500 metres to Victoria Avenue. Its Blackley.

Also, if you have kids, the nearest high school would be Plant Hill, which scored a massive 17% 5 A* to C GCSE in 2009. Has been turned into an 'Academy' now. Same intake though.

:D Oh dear. No, I don't have kids...I take it it's not a great place to pull either then?! :)