House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Physics Experiments

Watching something on BBC2 about the Big Bang. They've just been on about some experiment involving 4km long stainless steel tunnels along which lasers are fired. This, apparently, on the basis that something might be detectable - to be honest, they didn't seem too confident. This didn't look like a cheap installation.

We have the likes of the LHC which must have cost an obscene amout of money yet what it it going to achieve, precisely?

The world is littered with huge radio telescopes, even massive arrays of the things.

Who provides the money for this sort of stuff? Moreover why? I mean, I don't get the impression that these things are providing much of a return for those investing.

We have the likes of the LHC which must have cost an obscene amout of money yet what it it going to achieve, precisely?

Scientific Curiousity. Free Energy? The advancement of human kind.

The real tragedy is how much countries spend on defence [attack]

The big red slice at the top accounts for more than half the USA federal budget [on military spending.] Over 50% of GDP.

541030653_79201c9029.jpg

The USA military spend is equivalent to what the rest of the world combined spend on their military............

And these ARE the yanks dont forget. [bless em]

Its all a waste of money unless it gets used................................................:unsure:

Sounds like a gravitational wave experiment, there are several of these around the world. I once visited a lab in Japan where they had some similar installation to look into quantum gravity. i stared at a pair of high vacuum tubes stretching out km's across a river plain. When i asked the japanese scientist i was with why their government would spend money on such a thing, he replied that their Govt had a plan to win x nobel prizes in the next ten year and they estimated it would cost y $Bn's. In other words national pride - proof that you a first world nation.

I was reminded of this today when i was showing a Japanese scientist around Manchester university. He asked what the pictures in the paper of the uni were. I said, oh didn't you hear we won a nobel prize on tuesday. His first reaction was "oh the guys a visiting prof?". No I said he has been here for years and did the work in Manchester. He was astonished. I said "well the UK has a good record in the Physics nobel". His reply was rather telling "in the past yes, but i thought that was history"

PS love your sig.

Thankyou. B)

I was reminded of this today when i was showing a Japanese scientist around Manchester university. He asked what the pictures in the paper of the uni were. I said, oh didn't you hear we won a nobel prize on tuesday. His first reaction was "oh the guys a visiting prof?". No I said he has been here for years and did the work in Manchester. He was astonished. I said "well the UK has a good record in the Physics nobel". His reply was rather telling "in the past yes, but i thought that was history"

It may have cleared up his confusion if you had informed him that it was all done by a pair of eastern europeans using a pencil and sellotape. ;)

Scientific Curiousity. Free Energy? The advancement of human kind.

The real tragedy is how much countries spend on defence [attack]

The big red slice at the top accounts for more than half the USA federal budget [on military spending.] Over 50% of GDP.

541030653_79201c9029.jpg

The USA military spend is equivalent to what the rest of the world combined spend on their military............

And these ARE the yanks dont forget. [bless em]

Its all a waste of money unless it gets used................................................:unsure:

15% of their entire budget was spent on producing one ******ing massive 'X' :o

And I thought our lot were wasteful.

Watching something on BBC2 about the Big Bang. They've just been on about some experiment involving 4km long stainless steel tunnels along which lasers are fired. This, apparently, on the basis that something might be detectable - to be honest, they didn't seem too confident. This didn't look like a cheap installation.

The world is littered with huge radio telescopes, even massive arrays of the things.

Who provides the money for this sort of stuff? Moreover why? I mean, I don't get the impression that these things are providing much of a return for those investing.

Who - the taxpayer, companies, charitable foundations, philanthropists. (I don't have the exact figures, but public funding and company paid research are roughly at the same sort of level).

Why - because every pound you put in generates more than a pound back in inventions, spin offs etc. Even if the main event (eg Cern) probably won't have applications for years (and for an example of that in the past - the laser, the transistor, the atomic clock - all things that waited years to find a problem to solve), the technology developed to support it (eg for Cern - the world wide web, database capable of handle millions of transactions a second, fibre capable of transmitting at terabits a second) is often rapidly the source of economic activity. Even something as esoteric as astronomy leads to new active optics techniques, data handling, signal cleaning and amplification that finds application somewhere. Generally these spinouts generate returns in vast excess of the tiny amount of money (as a proportion of the overall budget) that goes in. Someone sat down and went through a lot of literature and matched it up with inventions, and the current reckoning is that every pound you spend today on research will generate about 30p a year in perpetuity in gdp increase.

To declare an interest - some of the research I do is publically funded (and some funded by companies).

15% of their entire budget was spent on producing one ******ing massive 'X' :o

Target practice. Buy big X. Drop bombs on it.

eeerr - we all do

but the real question is.....

how long after we solve the problem of free energy - ie the answer to all humanities problems and the realisation of the utopian dream...

how long will it take them to f*** it all up from there and have use ripping each others throats out for another meal?

No US military, no internet.

Big fallacy there. The internet comes from many different networks, with their own separate histories. If the world hadn't converged on the DARPA protocols (e.g. no US military) we'd just be using something else.

Since these are low-level protocols we're talking about, you'd be unlikely to see any difference at the level of applications such as the web or email.

Saw the programme. Must admit I turned to my partner around the time the 4km tunnel thing came on and someone was explaining that two people were on shift all the time (accompanied by train set noises and the bloke grinning) and said "You can see why Governments don't want to pay for this" :)

I'm glad that someone does, and that the research goes on.

Though watching the groups of physicists trying to prove the Big Bang theory on a blackboard with equations was funny. If I were there, I'd have my hand up:

"All you've done is prove a theory on a blackboard with some maths. It's all very clever, but how did it all come to be in the first place?"

I sometimes think that the closer you get to a subject, the less able you are to take a more helicopter view of it.

Only the guy (the owner/head researcher?) actually dared to divulge some genuinely new ideas and theories about how it all came into being, while everyone else seemed busy with mathematical equations trying to prove a theory that doesn't come anywhere near explaining much anyway.

Maybe I was missing the point :)