House Price Crash Forum

Tent Cities In The Uk

HOLA441

I have very complex feelings about all this, but I think the overriding one is that EU-8 enlargement and free migration of workers has led to chronic hostilities brewing against a people who really do not deserve to go through a whole heap of rubbish yet again.

Migrant Poles have been historically painted as "the problem" when Western politicians mess their economies up something chronic. It happened in Germany after the first world war and it is happening in Britain now. They are a people politicians and the intellectual elite think they can get away with scapegoating because, to be blunt, they are "white" (ie. "non-ethnic") but still "foreign", not "middle-class" but also not "crikey, we have to be seen to be nice because they are our working class".

Labour totally messed the EU-8 enlargement with this, and now the sanctioned 'dislike' of Poles in Britain is palpable. I don't blame those who feel they have been undercut by EU-8 migration, but I feel all this tension could have been avoided by just simply being realistic and capping the migrants numbers.

I nearly put my fist through the screen when I read about Keith Vaz complaining about Polish migrant numbers going up this year. It is so obvious he feels it is okay to dislike Poles because they are "non-ethnic" in his world view, and it is a joke considering that of all the migrant groups to come to Britain in the last thirty years, the Poles have never rioted, bombed, or refused to work.

Edited by dissident junk

HOLA442

I don't blame those who feel they have been undercut by EU-8 migration, but I feel all this tension could have been avoided by just simply being realistic and capping the migrants numbers.

...or postponing the migrants until 2011 as most of Europe did, including the Germans and French.... :rolleyes:

Edited by South Lorne

HOLA443

I nearly put my fist through the screen when I read about Keith Vaz complaining about Polish migrant numbers going up this year. It is so obvious he feels it is okay to dislike Poles because they are "non-ethnic" in his world view, and it is a joke considering that of all the migrant groups to come to Britain in the last thirty years, the Poles have never rioted, bombed, or refused to work.

+1000

Ironically, Polish men get singled out by the media because:

- they're white and Chrisitian,

- wear civilised clothing,

- don't breed like rabbits hence can't milk the UK's benefits system and...

...don't run with banners 'Britain go to hell' on the streets of London.

HOLA444

From The Economist (7.10.10):

Bleak house Where do migrant workers live in a crowded, post-recession town?

Garden sheds, wooden lean-tos and garages—that some householders have rented out without planning permission or safety inspections, mainly to migrants. They commonly rent for £130-150 ($210-240) a week.

The real reason behind homelessness in this country - £150 per week for living in a garage in Slough...

HOLA445

It is a bit of a stretch to lay the blame for all this at Labour's door.

Freedom of movement within Europe is an EU issue. When you join a club you have to obey the rules. If the UK should withdraw from Europe, ther will be pros and cons.

Tent cities were a feature of Thatcher's Britain, all along London's Embankment.

The economic conditions were this time round, caused by the Credit Crunch and the bank's incompetence.

Fortunately, our Government's wise investment in saving the banking sector meant that we avoided a catastrophic crash in the economy.

A direct descendant of lord haw haw I fear! Errr no other countries didn't allow them in. Errr no the majority of the debt is due to labour borrowing huge amounts of money to buy voters in the boom times when they should have been running a surplus, hitler blamed the jews, labour blame the bankers, and stupid people believe them, besides it was labour who deregulated the banks, ignored liar loan warnings and generated the housing boom cos they loved all those taxes to squander The bankers are a minor factor but highly convenient scapegoat for new libores lies. To be honest after 13 years of labour that has left us with the biggest debts in our history anyone who defends them or votes for them should be tried for treason. Labours stooges are everywhere, doubtless planning their come back and the next HPI scam. Why would any labour voter be on a forum like this? It defies all logic.

Edited by All Seeing Eye

HOLA446

A8 nationals get a really raw deal, they must work for a year in total before being eligible for benefits/housing, unlike other immigrants eve though they are from the EEA. They report higher amounts of racial harassment and loss of accommodation. They make up 1% of the immigrant population and 7% of the immigrant population working.

I'd rather they got council houses to share 6 to a room than share 6 to a room in poor quality rented property, often above the market rate, opposed to the workshy immigrants who don't work nor learn the lingo. These people get a very raw deal indeed

Well why don't you go out get a job and give them YOUR money or are you a lefty who loves nothing more than spending other peoples money? Buy a house and let them live rent free in YOUR house! Become part of the big society and YOU do something instead of telling everyone else what they should do from the comfort of your ivory tower.

Edited by All Seeing Eye

HOLA447
HOLA448