House Price Crash Forum
Tonkers

My Back To Work Session

I attended my first 'back to work session' at the job centre this morning. (central London)

The girl holding it was really nice, but failed to fill the room with optimism.

People in this meeting, from the ones I could hear clearly:

Secretarial now learning accounting (good for her)

Dispensing Optician

Young fellow who was going for anything, recently got turned down for cleaning work due to lack of experience (!)

A para legal (old)

A graduate in physiology wanting to go into film making

An office manager (young)

So the girl was talking about where jobs are advertised pointing out that 36% of jobs are never advertised. I raised my hand and asked what proportion of those jobs were in the public sector and the BBC, that are only advertised internally. Her supervisor hopped in and said that they are an equal opportunities employer and advertise all jobs. He then said ' but now, there aren't any'.

Make sure you make at least 3 attempts at finding work per week and record it in the little paper booklet you was given. If you don't they stop your money for 2 weeks every time you don't.

Good luck.

So the girl was talking about where jobs are advertised pointing out that 36% of jobs are never advertised. I raised my hand and asked what proportion of those jobs were in the public sector and the BBC, that are only advertised internally.

In my experience working for a university I'd say about 10% of jobs (ancedotal, I don't have the figures). In my (limited) experience of the private sector, internal recruitment or head hunting is more common there. At my university, if they are recruiting they are generally going external to cast the net more widely and get better staff.

Edit: Best of luck with the job hunt. In my experience, the job centre is useless - they cannot get people jobs, the 'clients' are too diverse. It is really about crowd control

Edited by FaFa!

Make sure you make at least 3 attempts at finding work per week and record it in the little paper booklet you was given. If you don't they stop your money for 2 weeks every time you don't.

Make sure that those 3 attempts are also via different channels!

The first time I ever had to go I put NINE things in those three boxes, including applying for four separate jobs, but was told that because I had found them all via the Internet that they only counted as one! The next week they got 'Read Papers', 'Looked on Internet' and 'Spoke to ex-colleagues' in their three little boxes.

It's a game.

The first time I ever had to go I put NINE things in those three boxes, including applying for four separate jobs, but was told that because I had found them all via the Internet that they only counted as one! The next week they got 'Read Papers', 'Looked on Internet' and 'Spoke to ex-colleagues' in their three little boxes.

It's a game.

Oh yes, if I apply for a job via a recruitment agency, it is 1. Looked for job via new channel, 2. Applied for such and such job, 3. Joined so and so recruitment agency. I am also allowed to include getting in touch with contacts separately. I started off same as you :)

Good thing having fifteen years in the music industry, they haven't got a clue what to do with me.

Oh yes, if I apply for a job via a recruitment agency, it is 1. Looked for job via new channel, 2. Applied for such and such job, 3. Joined so and so recruitment agency. I am also allowed to include getting in touch with contacts separately. I started off same as you :)

Good thing having fifteen years in the music industry, they haven't got a clue what to do with me.

Just be polite and come across as personable and having a brain and you should have no problems with them.

It's a game.

It's a flippin joke.

I have my first one of these in a week or so but they know there is no work around for me to do so it really is just going to be a case of going through the motions on both sides. I print out copies of any emails I send to agencies and potential employers and take them in every time I sign on and that keeps them happy.

They also gave me a list of 'the big jobs that came in just today'! The London market is b-b-b-b-b-bouyant!

15 jobs, all minimum wage.

Also, since when were shop assistants called customer sales advisors? Honestly, if I am going to be a shop assistant, I don't mind being called that. Why play dress up?

How mobile are you, Tonks? The last time I was (voluntarily) looking for work, I cast my net over the whole of the UK and had no troubles finding work. At the risk of ever so slightly on topic, I could only do that because I'm renting.

Back off standard topic but back on this topic, what game are you in Tonks?

Good luck, you'll need it the current market. I'm pretty much the "Young fellow who was going for anything, recently got turned down for cleaning work due to lack of experience (!)" at the moment.

How mobile are you, Tonks? The last time I was (voluntarily) looking for work, I cast my net over the whole of the UK and had no troubles finding work. At the risk of ever so slightly on topic, I could only do that because I'm renting.

Back off standard topic but back on this topic, what game are you in Tonks?

I am not mobile at the moment, due to renovating a housing association flat and that commitment.

My strongest skills at this time are e-commerce, from marketing to website management and business development, but having run a record label in the past I have many advanced transferable skills (legal, accounts, production, stock control, admin). It is getting a foot in again. For all of these London is still a good place to be :) I am looking at refresher courses in some aspects or full retraining (a degree in law even?) but this may depend on getting a reasonable settlement in my employment tribunal.

I had forgotten something else in this session. The dispensing optician was given time to talk and was mentioning a few things he was doing to find work. The session supervisor said, speak to me after, I might have something for you. He went up to him at the end and said 'have you been to Spec Savers?' No joke. The guy said yes, the job centre had already sent him there :(

yes, you cant have a person doing more than 3 things a week.

Good luck, you'll need it the current market. I'm pretty much the "Young fellow who was going for anything, recently got turned down for cleaning work due to lack of experience (!)" at the moment.

The lack of experience thing sounds like a nightmare nowadays, ten times as hard as it was for me in the late eighties / early nineties.

I keep thinking, oh, if I was younger it wouldn't be so hard... different times.

I am not mobile at the moment, due to renovating a housing association flat and that commitment.

My strongest skills at this time are e-commerce, from marketing to website management and business development, but having run a record label in the past I have many advanced transferable skills (legal, accounts, production, stock control, admin). It is getting a foot in again. For all of these London is still a good place to be :) I am looking at refresher courses in some aspects or full retraining (a degree in law even?) but this may depend on getting a reasonable settlement in my employment tribunal.

I had forgotten something else in this session. The dispensing optician was given time to talk and was mentioning a few things he was doing to find work. The session supervisor said, speak to me after, I might have something for you. He went up to him at the end and said 'have you been to Spec Savers?' No joke. The guy said yes, the job centre had already sent him there :(

Go onto the Online Gaming Companies PLc websites like 888 and PartyGaming. they are always looking for smart ecommerce people and hire direct! Good luck, I have been in a similar situation and it takes hard work in this market to get a good job (but they do exist) and I got onewithin 3 months.

Oh yes, 'lack of experience' is just such a great line isn't it?

You can understand why our youth unemployment is sooooooooo high can't you. <_<

Go straight from lack of experience to over qualified. Do not pass go.

Good luck.

The JC has always told to apply for at least 2 jobs a week. If your not too fussy, a lot of shops are looking for temporary christmas staff. I'm starting to look around now, before the uni students get their first dibs..

The JC has always told to apply for at least 2 jobs a week. If your not too fussy, a lot of shops are looking for temporary christmas staff. I'm starting to look around now, before the uni students get their first dibs..

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/personal?forcesegment=SG-Personal&catId=500185&mediaId=83900761&pageId=rql_rm_segmentListArticle

christmas work recruiting now

I have a large retailer at the top of my list right now for this, just waiting for news on my employment tribunal schedule. This is extremely time consuming and the outcome changes the game somewhat - I will have references and an end to the continued slander that has affected my work prospects. The end could be one week away or six... I do not want to get a job and start messing them about right away with shift swapping and days off. Looking at the part time option though.

Being back on the shopfloor would be fine, and it is a company I want to progress in, just hope they take on the middle aged!

The lack of experience thing sounds like a nightmare nowadays, ten times as hard as it was for me in the late eighties / early nineties.

I keep thinking, oh, if I was younger it wouldn't be so hard... different times.

16 or 18 fresh out of school\college yes. Mid 20s with GCSEs, A-levels and some experience in IT? Not exactly a prime candidate for sweeping or shop floor duties...

On the plus side I have an interview for a techy job, hopefully it goes well :)

Edited by HPC001

In my experience working for a university I'd say about 10% of jobs (ancedotal, I don't have the figures). In my (limited) experience of the private sector, internal recruitment or head hunting is more common there. At my university, if they are recruiting they are generally going external to cast the net more widely and get better staff.

Edit: Best of luck with the job hunt. In my experience, the job centre is useless - they cannot get people jobs, the 'clients' are too diverse. It is really about crowd control

The hatchet-man hired to make me redundant (who I actually got on ok with and he even offered me a job working for him :ph34r: ) claimed it was 80% of jobs that weren't advertised. That might just have been to make people feel better though!

Edited by Austin Allegro

Shame you are not mobile. Post this just in case anyone else interested, being public sector no chance of being made redundant. ;)

Executive Director

Department:

Salary: Upto £40,000

Closing Date: 22/10/2010

Reference:

Contract Type: Permanent Full Time

Working Hours:

Type: External

Wiltshire Music Centre

Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire, BA15 1DZ

Now in its 12th Year and attracting 70,000 visits a year, WMC is Wiltshire’s dedicated centre for music and young people, promoting a year round public concerts programme and delivering music education and outreach initiatives, in partnership with government agencies and voluntary organisations, across Wiltshire.

EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR - up to £40K pa

This new post will play a strategic role, with the Artistic Director, in all aspects of the operation and activities of the Music Centre, with specific responsibility for strategic and business planning, relationships with major funders, public relations, the building operation and its services, HR and fundraising and marketing strategies. The postholder will become the Centre’s chief operating officer and is a Board level appointment.

Details from:

www.wiltshiremusic.org.uk

or

brianharrisarts@btinternet.com

CLOSING DATE 22nd October 2010 (5pm)

Registered Charity 1026160

Investigation Officer

Department: Resources (DoR)

Salary: £23,708 to £26,276

Closing Date: 15/10/2010

Reference: RES10/128

Contract Type: Permanent Full Time

Working Hours: Full Time

Type: External

(2 posts - full and part time hours considered)

It is an exciting time for Wiltshire Council as the organisation is transforming the way it operates and delivers its service to its customers. The Revenues and Benefits Service has a reputation for high performance and demands the highest standards of its staff.

We are looking for enthusiastic, self motivated individuals to join our investigation team. As an integral part of the team you will be required to carry out quality investigations in accordance with legislative requirements and standards. Your responsibilities may include interviewing under caution, representing the Council in Court and administering cautions and penalties. This is a key role in helping to deliver the Council’s strategy for tackling benefit fraud. Accredited Counter Fraud status through PINS or equivalent is essential together with an in depth knowledge of the housing benefit and council tax benefit regulations.

This is an exciting opportunity to join a forward thinking, fast moving team and to make a difference to the quality of service provided to the people of Wiltshire.

For informal enquiries please contact Ann Ball on 01249 706267.

Interviews will take place on 27th and 28th October 2010.

Also the Census are recruiting casual vacancies. My link

Good luck

16 or 18 fresh out of school\college yes. Mid 20s with GCSEs, A-levels and some experience in IT? Not exactly a prime candidate for sweeping or shop floor duties...

On the plus side I have an interview for a techy job, hopefully it goes well :)

I've been out of IT for a couple of years now...I will go back into it, if I can get back in, but I just want to have a go at a crap job in Argos or M&S or something like that before I really start my career again. I'm doing to OU as well, so I'm trying to keep my skills up to date..

In my experience working for a university I'd say about 10% of jobs (ancedotal, I don't have the figures). In my (limited) experience of the private sector, internal recruitment or head hunting is more common there. At my university, if they are recruiting they are generally going external to cast the net more widely and get better staff.Edit: Best of luck with the job hunt. In my experience, the job centre is useless - they cannot get people jobs, the 'clients' are too diverse. It is really about crowd control

As an ex-uni academic, I always understood all jobs had to be advertised externally.

I've been out of IT for a couple of years now...I will go back into it, if I can get back in, but I just want to have a go at a crap job in Argos or M&S or something like that before I really start my career again. I'm doing to OU as well, so I'm trying to keep my skills up to date..

Good luck with that. I've found they expect 6-12 months retail experience for a min wage shop job. Not much point in trying repeatedly when they say it the first time. I'll have to hope I can secure this job and still do my degree alongside it..