House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reck B

Diy'ers

I've redone our kitchen table in a sort of 'cottagey whitewashed' effect and it looks pretty good but I'm sure it needs something to go ontop of the paint to stop food/drink spills soaking into it.

Is there something (wax?) I should be going over the paint before we use it?

ta.

I've redone our kitchen table in a sort of 'cottagey whitewashed' effect and it looks pretty good but I'm sure it needs something to go ontop of the paint to stop food/drink spills soaking into it.

ta.

I think a vase with some twigs in should help

ta.

My wife did exactly the same over the summer. Used a diluted clear Yacht varnish I think. Works a treat and looks like new.

My wife did exactly the same over the summer. Used a diluted clear Yacht varnish I think. Works a treat and looks like new.

What you use depends on the paint to a certain extent. Basically if it is a water based paint use a water based varnish, and oil to oil. Let the paint dry for a long time first. For instance latex water based paint feels dry after a couple of hours, but it can take a couple of months to dry out fully - if you varnish too early you may have adhesion problems down the line.

With regards to the varnish - sand the paint first, then put it on thin with several coats and sanding with increasingly fine paper upto about 320 between coats to get a good finish that isn't plasticy and sticky. Any decent polyurethane should be okay I'd have said (If over paint that is - if not over paint and you want to 'bring the wood out' more, thinner coated and finer sandpaper)

Clear car lacquer. It should be okay to use. Use fine grit wet and dry on the paint to get a smooth finsh then spray between 2 and 4 coats. For a matt finish leave (providing you didn't mess up the spraying) for a gloss finish leave to cure for a couple of weeks then use really fine wet and dry for a super smooth finish. The stuff is cheap and very hard wearing.

All it needs is some clear matt (or gloss) varnish. We've done this many times on all sorts of painted surfaces.

Read the tin & get some tough finish stuff & bob's your uncle.

Don't use clear yacht varnish. I painted my yacht with it and it disappeared.