House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Lander

Orange, T-Mobile Staff Angry At 'traffic Light' Redundancies

The merger of the companiesmeans they have a huge ammount of duplication.

Everyone knew this was coming.

Any attempts unfair dismissal cases are disgraceful and hopfully will be thrown out of court.

"The presentations were made in public in front of between 30-60 colleagues. Some employees are thought to have had no idea that their jobs were at risk before the humiliating public meeting."

What a cruel way of telling people they have no job.

Having been through this process, it's probably the fairest.

How else would you let people know? Posted letters reach people at different times, same with 121 meetings, desk drops are impersonal, and a town hall meeting would need riot police.

As for people who didn't know, didn't they think that there would be duplication of labor? After all, thats why companies merge, to get the synergy benefits.

Edited by msi

The way that people are told is now controlled by the Lawyers who advise the way of least chance of anything going wrong. Last time I was made redundant a letter went out to all company staff (including myself) by email saying that my department was no longer needed. I was in a very senior possition and the legal team stopped the MD from talking to me first! I found out like everyone else.

The funny thing was that the email went out whilst I was in the Canteen and as I walked back in the office everyone knew and was staring at me! I had a shock when I sat down and read the email....mind you I was happy I had not spilt my breakfast down my shirt like I first thought!

Edited by Nautorius

This shows a very disappointing lack of imagination on behalf of management. Surely they should be demonstrating their faith in their own network and making people redundant by text? :rolleyes:

:lol:

The funny thing was that the email went out whilst I was in the Canteen and as I walked back in the office everyone knew and was staring at me! I had a shock when I sat down and read the email....

How horrible for you, when you realised why everyone was staring at you.

I guess there is never a good way to tell someone they are redundant.

How horrible for you, when you realised why everyone was staring at you.

I guess there is never a good way to tell someone they are redundant.

Tell them what a good job they have done and give them a great reference to take away at the same time. Yes this is quite an effort, but the company would be remembered well for it.

Everything Everywhere - is that shortened to ee to make it less of a mouthful. Poor call centre workers.

You don't need to know how they treated their staff just their new name tells you that they're of the NuNutters.

Edited by billybong

As for people who didn't know, didn't they think that there would be duplication of labor? After all, thats why companies merge, to get the synergy benefits.

So the board can pay themselves even more obscene bonuses.

If synergy were the real reason, our pensions would actually be worth something.

Edited by Sir John Steed

I was made redundant twice in one year. The first time, in a big multinational, we were all called to a big meeting in a local church hall and there was a waffly, very vague presentation by the MD which left everyone a bit confused but fairly sure they had got the chop. Full details were given later in private interviews. The second time I was carpeted by the MD, given 2 months' payoff and a third if I agreed to leave the office immediatly. I said 'I'll get me coat' and left.

I find it hard to believe that people didn't realise they were for the chop. In both my cases, it was clear it was coming for a long time.

I find it hard to believe that people didn't realise they were for the chop. In both my cases, it was clear it was coming for a long time.

I dunno, my experience of large companies is that the larger the enterprise, the more likely the vast majority of office staff are divorced from reality. They will be stuck in a narrow silo of their own ambitions and pet projects, spouting buzz words and trying to make themselves look good in front of their line management. Of course, the fact that most large corporate concerns spend more time massaging their books than they do thinking about their customers could also be partly to blame for hiding the malaise.

I was made redundant twice in one year. The first time, in a big multinational, we were all called to a big meeting in a local church hall and there was a waffly, very vague presentation by the MD which left everyone a bit confused but fairly sure they had got the chop. Full details were given later in private interviews. The second time I was carpeted by the MD, given 2 months' payoff and a third if I agreed to leave the office immediatly. I said 'I'll get me coat' and left.

I knew times were tight in 1990 in the construction industry. Indeed I had taken an employed position eighteen months earlier for only the third time in my life to try to shelter from the recession in the industry. I thought I would be safe because, not to put too fine a point on it, most of the other people at my level were pretty useless. They employed me because I had freelanced for them for about 5 years, on and off, and they kept asking me to join.

But, of course, last in - first out. And one fateful morning I found myself visited on site by two of the directors. We did the usual site tour and then adjourned to the offices for a cup of tea. 10 minutes later I was on my way home - paid until the end of next month, keep the car until then, sorry but times are hard blah, blah. That company went under about a year later.

I drove home and arrived at about 11 o'clock. My wife was on the phone (old fashioned, it was fixed to the wall!). She was talking to her sister as I recall. She looked at me quizzically -a 'what are you doing home' look. I picked up my son's potty which was to hand and placed it on our coffee table. I removed my company tie, coiled it up and placed it in the said potty. I then (and I still think this was pretty cool) stood there, in the living room, whipped the old dapper out and urinated on it.

I remember my wife saying to her sister, 'you'll never guess what he's doing'

I vowed that day never to work for anyone again. I broke that promise to myself in the .dot com nonsense because someone offered me a shedload of money. I negotiated an 18 month minimum pay off and received it about a year later! Self employed ever since.

Self employed for 32 of the last 40 years. If you don't work for them, they can't turn your life upside down.

Edited by Let's get it right

I picked up my son's potty which was to hand and placed it on our coffee table. I removed my company tie, coiled it up and placed it in the said potty. I then (and I still think this was pretty cool) stood there, in the louge, whipped the old dapper out and urinated on it.

I remember my wife saying to her sister, 'you'll never guess what he's doing'

You wife's pretty OK. I would have got a hard smack before I'd finihed.

So the board can pay themselves even more obscene bonuses.

If synergy were the real reason, our pensions would actually be worth something.

Synergy is a valid reason. I never said the benefit would go into pensions.

When I got the chop, the chairman of the board gave a speech saying how he could spend more time on his hobbies. I'm sure he was looking at synergy benefits when cashing his share options.

Well having been involved as a staff representative in a major redundancy round in the past with a major IT company my first reading of the Telegraph article would suggest that the tactics being used here are highly questionable in law and unlikely to past muster with an employment tribunal. The rules are pretty clear in law particularly relating to the requirement for a consultation period with representatives chosen by the staff effected and an appropriate appeals process. In particular the concept of red and yellow traffic lights will be likely to attract the ire of the tribunal since there should be no distinction in law between those at 30% risk and those 100% at risk of losing their jobs (ie all should have equal opportunity to appeal against redundancy and to apply for other posts in the company). Openly admitting from the start that this has been predecided by the company is a major mistake which the courts are likely to punish in due course. The actual formal redundancy notices can not be issued until the consultation process is completed. If the tribunal feels an employer has not followed due process then it can not only award payments to dismissed staff it can even make the employer take the employee back onto their books and go through the whole cycle again. Smart employers try to avoid this wherever possible because contrary to what some may believe staff going to employment tribunals following botched redundancy rounds often win. If you are involved in such a scenario and do not have a Unions legal team to represent you then it is well worth checking the legal cover often tagged onto house insurance which will usually cover hiring a lawyer to bat for you in employment matters.

Edited by realcrookswearsuits

My company have had 2 rounds in the last couple of years - company meeting followed by - 'return to your desks & carry on as normal while you wait for a phone call'.

Trouble is, people carried on working meaning phones were ringing all the time so whenever you answered it, you didnt know if it was you for the chop, or a colleague calling in the course of business, plus one or two wind up calls too :blink:

Having been through this process, it's probably the fairest.

No it's not

Having an all staff meeting and telling some (specific) people that they will be losing their jobs in fromnt of people who wont be is not the way to do it.

If you can't tell people individually, at the very least, you should only invite those people who are "at risk" to the meeting