House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JustYield

Why Did You Speak To My Daughter?

OK so this might touch on a few sensitive issues.

I was in my private Club pool with my 3 year-old daughter here in Singapore this afternoon.

While I was by the poolside a 4 year-old girl asked me where the toy she had in her hand came from and I straightforwardly told her we'd found it over in the kids play pool, it wasn't ours. Her mother on a sunbed by the pool asks me "Why did you speak to my daughter?". It was difficult to hear her above all the noise, so I asked her to repeat. "What did you say to my daughter?". So I told her and she immediately went back to texting on her phone, no "They're so inquisitive, aren't they", nothing - she blanked me once she'd established I wasn't some loony - who knows what she thought, she certainly wouldn't have spoken to a woman like that.

So I asked her if there was a problem. She said no, it was all OK. I was a bit annoyed by her attitude by this point and said "Excuse me, but is there a problem here? This is meant to be a friendly club." (Other parents were interested now.) She avoided eye contact and mumbled "No." and seemed annoyed that I might deserve some explanation. She carried on texting, continuing to ignore her daughter as it happens.

Then I was left wondering "WTF!" and took my daughter to change and leave.

Too Mumsnet? :huh:

I was in my private Club pool with my 3 year-old daughter here in Singapore this afternoon.

While I was by the poolside a 4 year-old girl asked me where the toy she had in her hand came from and I straightforwardly told her we'd found it over in the kids play pool, it wasn't ours. Her mother on a sunbed by the pool asks me "Why did you speak to my daughter?". It was difficult to hear her above all the noise, so I asked her to repeat. "What did you say to my daughter?". So I told her and she immediately went back to texting on her phone, no "They're so inquisitive, aren't they", nothing - she blanked me once she'd established I wasn't some loony - who knows what she thought, she certainly wouldn't have spoken to a woman like that.

So I asked her if there was a problem. She said no, it was all OK. I was a bit annoyed by her attitude by this point and said "Excuse me, but is there a problem here? This is meant to be a friendly club." (Other parents were interested now.) She avoided eye contact and mumbled "No." and seemed annoyed that I might deserve some explanation. She carried on texting, continuing to ignore her daughter as it happens.

There is a law of unintended consequences here.It would make me far less likely to intervene to help a child.

should have told her that the girl told you her lazy mummy drank too much and texted men instead of looking after her.

Another boy had to be fished out of the pool a few minutes earlier by a frantic mother once she'd noticed, in between nattering about nothing much to some other mums. I managed to keep an eye on mine while reading a book (Dawkins, haha!) - if she's not in my peripheral vision I look up every few seconds and generally treat the monitoring quite seriously as she's only recently started to swim. All the other mums were saying "Are you ok?" to the negligent mum while the boy was still in slight shock - she didn't seem to get it at all.

The accusatory mum in question was fat, lazy and British by the way.

Another boy had to be fished out of the pool a few minutes earlier by a frantic mother once she'd noticed, in between nattering about nothing much to some other mums. I managed to keep an eye on mine while reading a book (Dawkins, haha!) - if she's not in my peripheral vision I look up every few seconds and generally treat the monitoring quite seriously as she's only recently started to swim. All the other mums were saying "Are you ok?" to the negligent mum while the boy was still in slight shock - she didn't seem to get it at all.

This brings back my earliest memory.I had just turned 2 and was paddling in the sea when I got washed in by a wave.These two old fishermen launched their boat from the beach and I can still recall an arm coming down from the surface and fishing me out.My mother would have been gas-bagging away on the beach at the time.

Too busy complaining about her servant problems and her tennis lessons to attend to her kids. Back in the UK she was probably on the Tesco check-out before being elevated to the expat high life .

But, no doubt hubbie is off humping his young Chinese secretary and the frump will soon be discarded; forced to return to sunny Huddersfield , older and poorer but no wiser.

Rather disappointed you let her off so lightly though.

Rather disappointed you let her off so lightly though.

I went as far as I could with the indignation really - the trouble was I couldn't be sure what she'd said at first or why and so there was a chance I'd got the wrong end of the stick. Judging by her appalling and dismissive manner though, I doubt it. I gave her a sunny "Goodbye!" as I left, hand in hand with my daughter, and she managed a hurried goodbye too. Hope to see her again.

Glad to hear you know the type, I think you've got it spot on (except the tennis lessons part).

I think I saw her in Tanglin Mall the other day with lots of other similar mothers allowing their offspring to run riot, jump on the seats and generally cause havoc. There are a lot of little children going to grow up being absolute monsters because of their monthers' couldn't-care-less attitudes. I left quickly (after giving a little thought to walking over the seats on my way out)

I think I saw her in Tanglin Mall the other day with lots of other similar mothers allowing their offspring to run riot, jump on the seats and generally cause havoc. There are a lot of little children going to grow up being absolute monsters because of their monthers' couldn't-care-less attitudes. I left quickly (after giving a little thought to walking over the seats on my way out)

This already happened, around 1980. A trip to your local personal bankruptcy proceedings will help you to fill in the exact details.

Perhaps, just as likely, she is just a grade A b*tch and if you had hesitated or backed-down then she would have sensed weakness and decided to shout loudly, create a scene and make you look like a mass murdered and sexual pervert in front of everyone.

The fact that the noise of the pool initially caused you to not hear her correctly, and you then followed it up more forcibly, is well down for you as, perhaps, it stopped her being a complete b*tch.

If I am right no doubt she does this regularly when she detects weakness in others.

I went as far as I could with the indignation really - the trouble was I couldn't be sure what she'd said at first or why and so there was a chance I'd got the wrong end of the stick. Judging by her appalling and dismissive manner though, I doubt it. I gave her a sunny "Goodbye!" as I left, hand in hand with my daughter, and she managed a hurried goodbye too. Hope to see her again.

This could be the start of a beautiful friendship! I'm thinking When Harry Met Sally...

I think in general nowadays people aren't good at social interaction. In the past, they lived cheek by jowl with family, neighbours and colleagues and there was little privacy. Nowadays people live in suburbs and don't know their neighbours, they drive everywhere so don't meet people on the streets (nor can they interact so easily outside their cars). Add to that the spread of gadgets like phones, ipods etc which mean you don't have to have ANY interaction with those around you, and you get the situation where any kind of casual chatting is considered dodgy. The obsession with paedos and stranger-danger is all tied up with this, I think.

You do realise you are only weeks away from telling one of these pretend parents they need to close their doors if they want to keep their nippers safe from foxes!

:P

When Harry met Fatty?

:lol:

You do realise you are only weeks away from telling one of these pretend parents they need to close their doors if they want to keep their nippers safe from foxes!

:P

I managed to stay out of it, the mums were in a cluster-clique. If he'd been drowning next to me and I'd fished him out I may have had words with her!

It's the monkeys we have to worry about now:

Macaque discards baby from tower block