House Price Crash Forum
Guest The Relaxation Suite

If One Billion Of Cuts Causes This Much Upset

Guest The Relaxation Suite

With the recent Child Benefit coming at the one billion mark, and causing a partial meltdown among large constituents of the UK, what will the 83 billion cuts coming on Oct 20 do?

Or will they be spread out and spun etc so no one notices?

Housing benefit to the tune of £5 billion is paid to private (often BTL) landlords.

Lets hope that is cut!

As an unemployed person I can tell you the majority of my benefit is housing benefit (60%), about 10% is council tax benefit. By rights I am entitled to claim more housing benefit than I currently claim too!

I think they should cut council tax benefit entirely, there is another £2.5billion there + administration costs. The council has no vested interest in me and my fellow unemployed citizens working, as if we do not work, they are guaranteed council tax payment, they even get paid for administering the benefit to themselves which is ultimately funded by national government.

Edited by Unemployed Youth

With the recent Child Benefit coming at the one billion mark, and causing a partial meltdown among large constituents of the UK, what will the 83 billion cuts coming on Oct 20 do?

How do you know it will be £83bn of cuts?

But you're right, if they get anywhere near addressing the full £149bn deficit the effect on the economy would be dramatic.

Its not resulted in a meltdown. The Polls suggest that cuts to child benefit for higher earners is extremely popular. The only oddity is to why a couple keep their benefit, and a single earner looses it. Doubtless a "Sir Humphrey" proposal to the scupper the idea entirely.

The CB cut was manifestly unfair, and also a direct contradiction of previous commitments. If that's the pattern they are setting, then there will be blood in the streets..

This is a the brilliance of the situation we find ourselves in.

If they make the necessary cuts there will be carnage and Labour will be back spraying the money we haven't got away again in 4 years time.

If they don't make enough cuts we're fooked too.

Gold can only win versus sterling in this scenario, whatever line of policy the government takes.

Bottom line is that we are broke but won't/can't accept the fact, or in the case of the majority of the public are too ill-informed to realise what the hell is going on. Either way, we are getting poorer and it's going to be painful and there's nothing any one can do about it. Between devaluation and inflation, Sterling is going to take an almighty kicking too, so don't hold too much of your savings in it.

No .. The child benefit thing was a PR disaster .. And partly the civil service showing that they are in charge .. They must have thought it would be popular (why else announce it at the party conference) in a sort of "Eat the rich" sort of way .. when in fact it only affects a narrow band of people (single income families with incomes 45-80k). Almost ANYTHING else would have been a better idea politically .. There would have been less outcry if they had abolished child benefit altogether (at least we would all have been in it together then!) instead what they did was to remove child benefit from a load of non working mums who are educated and organised .. (I DEEPLY hate Mumsnet but in things like this they are very effective ..).

What will happen is this ..

The outcry will not die down .. and eventually the government will have to back down so it will be that couples with a combined income of more than £66,000 will not be eligable for child benefit .. Which means that EVERYONE will have to fill in a form annually to get child benefit, The admin cost of child benefit (at the moment very low .. afterall the criteria are very simple!) rockets .. the actual saving is 300million or so and we have broken the idea of universal benefits .. HOWEVER 100's of new civil servants are required to administer it so it's a WIN from that angle ..

No .. The child benefit thing was a PR disaster .. And partly the civil service showing that they are in charge .. They must have thought it would be popular (why else announce it at the party conference) in a sort of "Eat the rich" sort of way .. when in fact it only affects a narrow band of people (single income families with incomes 45-80k). Almost ANYTHING else would have been a better idea politically .. There would have been less outcry if they had abolished child benefit altogether (at least we would all have been in it together then!) instead what they did was to remove child benefit from a load of non working mums who are educated and organised .. (I DEEPLY hate Mumsnet but in things like this they are very effective ..).

What will happen is this ..

The outcry will not die down .. and eventually the government will have to back down so it will be that couples with a combined income of more than £66,000 will not be eligable for child benefit .. Which means that EVERYONE will have to fill in a form annually to get child benefit, The admin cost of child benefit (at the moment very low .. afterall the criteria are very simple!) rockets .. the actual saving is 300million or so and we have broken the idea of universal benefits .. HOWEVER 100's of new civil servants are required to administer it so it's a WIN from that angle ..

Anyone who really needs benefit is entitled to child tax credit, which is means tested. We have two forms of child benefit. The administration jobs are just there to keep unemployment down.

The CB cut was manifestly unfair, and also a direct contradiction of previous commitments. If that's the pattern they are setting, then there will be blood in the streets..

Blood in the streets assumes the 'Great' British Public can be bothered. X-Factor is on so why would the masses spoil their Saturday evenings with something as trivial as defending their rights and holding Government to account?

Yes it was unfair.

But what do you think about this? If a couple are separated, and have equal share of a child, then only one of them can get the child benefit, it cant be shared.

If they get the child benefit, they also get all the rights to tax credits, and the right to claim CSA off of the other parent. Even if that parent is poorer than the other one. This means that both parents of a child in shared care, have to have a massive fight over who gets the CB, as the difference in the amount of money they get is massive. Is that a good idea when you are supposed to be jointly caring for a child?

Now that is what you get when a government tries to meddle in things.

Axing CB altogether would have been the best policy decision as far as fairness goes. Pay for your own kids.

Monday: Government announce that they have to reduce spending and announce the biggest cuts ever.

Tuesday: Business confidence drops, house prices fall by an alarming amount, Tories decline in the polls.

Wednesday: Government announces that they may not cut as much after-all.

Let's see what happens.

Its not resulted in a meltdown. The Polls suggest that cuts to child benefit for higher earners is extremely popular. The only oddity is to why a couple keep their benefit, and a single earner looses it. Doubtless a "Sir Humphrey" proposal to the scupper the idea entirely.

Because they assume a couple both working have higher childcare costs than a single earner with a non-working partner?

It rather depends whether the other cuts are so ineptly done, and so clunkingly, grossly unfair.

The CB cuts had 2 massive, almost comedy, anomalies.

1) a £1 pay rise might cost you £1700+ with 2 kids

2) The family next door, earning 2 x£40K, woudl not lose their benefit

THIS was why there was such a fuss, not the principle of cutting handouts for the better off, whic is clearly necessary.

(And yes, I am personally affected, by both these anomalies having had a pay rise last month which has been more than wiped out, and living next door to such a couple. Was expecting to lose some benefits, and support that, but this is just cretinously stupid)

Because they assume a couple both working have higher childcare costs than a single earner with a non-working partner?

They have not said this, but it's a reasonable point. Child care can be £1K per month :blink: so even after this, a £40K earner is way better off than a stay-at-home parent.

Still doesn't address the "pay rise, you lose" anomaly.

(And yes, I am personally affected, by both these anomalies having had a pay rise last month which has been more than wiped out, and living next door to such a couple. Was expecting to lose some benefits, and support that, but this is just cretinously stupid)

Nothing against you personally, but I just can't muster any sympathy.

If one parent is earning £40k per year, or both, the family shouldn't be getting a sniff of a benefit.

Why is it anybodies responsibility to raise somebody elses kids if they physically can afford it themselves?

Taxes for healthcare, policing, all of those good things, yes. But to raise somebody elses sprogs puts no value back into society whatsoever after keeping them out of poverty.

The pay rise is a pay rise, the free money is a completely seperate issue.

Edited by Kyoto

Nothing against you personally, but I just can't muster any sympathy.

If one parent is earning £40k per year, or both, the family shouldn't be getting a sniff of a benefit.

Why is it anybodies responsibility to raise somebody elses kids if they physically can afford it themselves?

Taxes for healthcare, policing, all of those good things, yes. But to raise somebody elses sprogs puts no value back into society whatsoever after keeping them out of poverty.

The pay rise is a pay rise, the free money is a completely seperate issue.

Did your parents get anything for you when you were a child?I suspect they did.

If you think that children put no value back into society, then you clearly haven't been listening in class.

If you think that children put no value back into society, then you clearly haven't been listening in class.

My mother received some benefits because she earnt around £8k per year, raising two kids on her own, worked part time etc. People like that should still be helped, probably with more generous benefits than they receive now.

People on £40k though, should be 100% cast iron on their own. They 100% can afford to raise their own kids, so have no right to bleat about 'unfairness' of not receiving free handouts IMO.

Not being facetious, but what value do children put back into society in general? Lots of pleasure for the parents and I'm glad the human race will continue, but I personally couldn't care less and have no interest in funding them besides the basics such as education.

Edited by Kyoto

So paying towards their healthcare, education and localised faciilties are not enough?

I don't begrudge my tax paying for these, but CB, WFTC, CTC, HB, etc etc they can fook off. How making parents dependent on any temporary benefit, subject to annual and circumstantial change, can promote healthy parenting and children is beyond me.

We need more progressive measures, such as higher tax thresholds. Not regressive, means tested, child dependent tax refunds.

Edited by PopGun

The idea that shelf stackers on the breadline in Tesco should fund the children of the well off (40k a year is definitely well off) is just plain sick, sorry. Morally bankrupt. I cannot for the life of me see how anybody can support this state of affairs.

Not being facetious, but what value do children put back into society in general? Lots of pleasure for the parents and I'm glad the human race will continue, but I personally couldn't care less and have no interest in funding them besides the basics such as education.

They are the next generation of taxpayers and consumers.

The idea that shelf stackers on the breadline in Tesco should fund the children of the well off (40k a year is definitely well off) is just plain sick, sorry. Morally bankrupt. I cannot for the life of me see how anybody can support this state of affairs.

Well said.

If you do the sums, I bet the tax take of 5+ shelf stackers doesn't even cover one child benefit payment for a £40k earner.

They will possibly stage the cutoff to avoid all of this bleating, but the principle is dead fair.

Edited by Kyoto

+1

ditto heating allowance and free travel for millionarie pensioners.

Edited by PopGun

So paying towards their healthcare, education and localised faciilties are not enough?

You were a recipient of child benefit or family allowance - or more specifically your parents were. Yet you would deny the same to today's children?