House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Number79

Calling All Growers

It seems that there are many gardeners and growers on HPC so I would like to start a thread where we can all share our top tips.

It became apparent very quickly when mixing with 'old boys' that it did not matter what I had read or what I thought that I knew, the fact was that I knew buger all.

Let this thread be for us all to share storage methods and top recipes to deal with gluts of fruit and veg.

To start, I tend to store herbs in jars of olive oil. This helps them keep fresh but also infuses the oil.

I add garlic and herbs to olive oil to cook with but also store cloves and herbs in jars of oil for daily use.

Some store herbs and things in salt whilst other veg can be pickled.

Jams, chutneys etc etc there are lots that can be done.

I will add recipes for onion chutney and beetroot chutney and many more when I get a few minutes but what else do you do?

How do you guys store produce? what recipes do you have for fruit and veg?

It seems that there are many gardeners and growers on HPC so I would like to start a thread where we can all share our top tips.

It became apparent very quickly when mixing with 'old boys' that it did not matter what I had read or what I thought that I knew, the fact was that I knew buger all.

Let this thread be for us all to share storage methods and top recipes to deal with gluts of fruit and veg.

To start, I tend to store herbs in jars of olive oil. This helps them keep fresh but also infuses the oil.

I add garlic and herbs to olive oil to cook with but also store cloves and herbs in jars of oil for daily use.

Some store herbs and things in salt whilst other veg can be pickled.

Jams, chutneys etc etc there are lots that can be done.

I will add recipes for onion chutney and beetroot chutney and many more when I get a few minutes but what else do you do?

How do you guys store produce? what recipes do you have for fruit and veg?

Why don't you nip down your local Polish cafe/club, coz pickling/preservation is second nature to most of them.

They will all have family pickling recipes passed down from generation to generation!

I admit i'm totally addicted to Lidl cornichons (nicest crispy pickles you ever tasted with a cheese sarnie!) & I checked they don't glow in the dark!

TMT does a good Swansea Seaweed pickle.

Now is just the time of year to make piccalilli.

This is my late gran's recipe (have it in a frame so I never lose it - and her handwriting is so lovely). By the way, she was from a Vale of Evesham market gardening family, so she knew her stuff.

3lbs vegetables (onions, cauliflower, cucumber, marrow, runner beans, green tomatoes).

(I only use marrow (cut into small cubes, with skin removed) cauliflower and onions. But I use both finely chopped onions and shallots/pickling onions. But it's a matter of taste. My gran never put any tomatoes in hers, and as a child I'd always pick out the beans, because the looked like bogeys.)

2 pints of vinegar

Half ounce of turmeric powder

One ounce of mustard

Two ounces of sugar

Half a tablespoon of cornflower

Half an ounce of ground ginger

Method:

Chop/break up/peel the veg. Sprinkle well with salt and let them stand for about 12 hours, then drain.

I usually do this overnight. Three pounds of veg generally fills a large colander, so if you place this over a bowl, in the morning you'll see just how much water has been drawn out. Also, I don't tend to rinse, much of the saltiness drips off as brine.

Put a little vinegar into a basin and mix cornflower, mustard, ginger, turmeric and sugar into a smooth mixture.

Put the rest of the vinegar onto boil. Once boiling, add the vegetables.

When boiling again, mix in the basin mixture, taking care not to break up the vegetables.

Cook for ten minutes, stirring carefully.

Put into sterile jars.

Any glass jar will do. I usually wash them out and put them on a baking tray in a hot oven for five minutes. The lids (ideally metal) I boil for a few moments. Do this in advance so they have a chance to cool down a bit. If you put the mixture in when it's really hot, you have the satisfaction of the 'clicking dimple thing' on the lid going down.

The last tip in my gran's recipe is that the sauce will thicken up considerably when cool, so resist the temptation to bung in more cornflower to thicken it up. It probably won't need it.

My final tip is that although, strictly speaking, you should keep the piccalilli for a few months before eating it, it's lovely after just a day or so. Every year I make a big batch planning to give it away as frugal Christmas presents, but it never lasts that long.

Beetroot and Apple Chutney

12oz finely chopped onions

21b cooked beetroot, peeled and diced

12oz cooking apples, diced (weight when peeled)

3/4 pint white vinegar

1tsp pickling spices

12oz sugar

1tsp salt

Put onions, beetroot and apples into a pan with vinegar, tie pickling spices in a loose muslin bag and add to the pan. Simmer until the apples are soft and then add sugar. Stir and boil steadily until the chutney reaches desired consistency. Add salt, remove spices and spoon into jars.

I've been given a tiny allotment to use. Today I bought some broad bean seeds, and some already-growing beetroot and cabbage to plant in there and get it going right now in October.

Any tips for me? I know zero about this subject. Once planted should they be protected from wildlife somehow?

I've been given a tiny allotment to use. Today I bought some broad bean seeds, and some already-growing beetroot and cabbage to plant in there and get it going right now in October.

Any tips for me? I know zero about this subject. Once planted should they be protected from wildlife somehow?

cabbage growing now could be good but beetroot already growing is done. Either take the beets out and use them or let them grow and make seeds for you.

You want something to do now thn clear a patch and get some garlic in the ground, is getting late so this is your last chance.

Hmm ok, so the cabbage has a chance. The broad bean packet said October planting, so they must be ok too. Shame about the beetroot. It's a "super food" and one of my favourites.

Hmm ok, so the cabbage has a chance. The broad bean packet said October planting, so they must be ok too. Shame about the beetroot. It's a "super food" and one of my favourites.

yep, cabbage grows over winter same as onions, garlic, beans etc so long as it is planted at the right time.

The beetroot will stay in the ground and won't rot, slugs and bugs are your only enemy, but they can continue growing in size and will lose flavour.

Sundried tomatoes.

Peel & quarter them, drizzle with olive oil, rock salt/pepper/herbs.

Whack 'em in the oven on it's lowest setting for about 14 hours.

Store in olive oil or vaccuum bags.