House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fellow

Uses Of Pee

This BBC radio program is quite interesting, all about the various uses for urine. Apparantly it is going to solve mankind's energy problems, and can also be 'mined' for pharmaceutical drugs.

BBC: The Secret Science of Pee

You should pee on your compost heap, if you have one.

They covered that one?

You should pee on your compost heap, if you have one.

They covered that one?

Yes they talked about using it as a fertiliser and getting double and triple yields on some crops.

Yes they talked about using it as a fertiliser and getting double and triple yields on some crops.

Brassica vegetables, I think.

I'm told pee is also good at keeping foxes out of the garden. Has to be men's pee though, not women's.

urine has urea in it.

Urea has the highest nitrogen content of all solid nitrogenous fertilizers in common use.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urea

I have had eczema for years and have tried countless prescription creams, none of which worked particularly well. A couple of years ago I found an over the counter moisturiser called 'Eucerin' which contains the active ingredient of 10% urea, and the eczema completely cleared after a week of use.

That's great to hear :-). I have heard of people using urine to get rid of eczema too (though I suggest your best sticking to that cream if it's worked for you).

Its great for relieving a low, full feeling, in the bladder.

Has to be men's pee though, not women's.

I didn't realise there was a difference. I'm guessing it's something to do with the hormones? Does a woman's pee taste different to a man's as well?

In times past, they used buckets full of condensed pee to make black powder. I guess that could be a terrorist tip, never did forgive that Fawkes.

In the 18th - 19th c there was a thriving market for human pee to make alum (used to fix dyes and purify water) from a type of shale found near to Whitby. They used to ship barrels of pee from London and other big cities and sent it to the alum works.

In times past, they used buckets full of condensed pee to make black powder. I guess that could be a terrorist tip, never did forgive that Fawkes.

Yes the secret ingredient for gun powder being saltpeter, ie Potassium Nitrate which is also an  food preservative.

History of production

The earliest known complete purification process for potassium nitrate was outlined in 1270 by the Arab chemist and engineer Hasan al-Rammah of Syria in his book al-Furusiyya wa al-Manasib al-Harbiyya ('The Book of Military Horsemanship and Ingenious War Devices'), where he first described the use of potassium carbonate (in the form of wood ashes).[2]

Into the 19th century, niter-beds were prepared by mixing manure with either mortar or wood ashes, common earth and organic materials such as straw to give porosity to a compost pile typically 1.5×2×5 meters in size.[3] The heap was usually under a cover from the rain, kept moist with urine, turned often to accelerate the decomposition and leached with water after approximately one year. Dung-heaps were a particularly common source: ammonia from the decomposition of urea and other nitrogenous materials would undergo bacterial oxidation to produce various nitrates, primarily calcium nitrate, which could be converted to potassium nitrate by the addition of potash from wood ashes.

In the process of food preservation, potassium nitrate has been a common ingredient of salted meat since the Middle Ages,[5] but its use has been mostly discontinued due to inconsistent results compared to more modern nitrate and nitrite compounds. Even so, saltpetre is still used in some food applications, such as charcuterie and the brine used to make corned beef.[6] Sodium nitrate (and nitrite) have mostly supplanted potassium nitrate's culinary usage, as they are more reliable in preventing bacterial infection than saltpetre. All three give cured salami and corned beef their characteristic pink hue.

Apparently, the Queen Mother used to use it for perfume.

P1ss is the best antidote to jellyfish stings but is als the best antidote to many other bites and stings.

It helps break down compost, womens is better.

P1ss in a pair of leather boots and it will soften them up quickly, admittedly no use to joe public but to a soldier with new boots and lots of miles to face then p1ss is the amber nectar.

Apparently it has lots of uses for skin disoreders but I cant vouch for that like I can for breaking boots in.

its great for turning boring white yfronts into trendy magnolia BTL types.

Apparently, the Queen Mother used to use it for perfume.

That isn't funny. She was probably the last royal that gave a sh1t and the last that deserved any respect. Save your quips for liz and charles, they deserve it.

That isn't funny. She was probably the last royal that gave a sh1t and the last that deserved any respect. Save your quips for liz and charles, they deserve it.

not according to my Grandmother...who hated her guts.

Many Sewage Treatment Plants now convert your number two and send it back to you as electrical power, others convert it to fertiliser which you put on your tomatoes. Monday morning`s curry flow makes the the most powerful fertiliser. ;)

Very caring, but it is claimed she was supportive of the coup to topple Harold Wilson`s Government led by Cecil King of the Daily Mirror. Even Mountbatten was approached but refused to get involved IIRC.

This BBC radio programme is quite interesting, all about the various uses for urine. Apparantly it is going to solve mankind's energy problems, and can also be 'mined' for pharmaceutical drugs.

BBC: The Secret Science of Pee

Excellent programme. Anyone interested further might look at F.H.King's Farmers For Forty Centuries, which has a lot on the use of urine and human excrement in Chinese agriculture/horticulture. They have ground over there which has been continuously cultivated for 4000 years, and have forgotten more than we know about growing food.

I was told by a medical person (cant mind their background) that your pee is only supposed to be a very light yellow. Almost clear. If not you are dehydrated and this can cause headaches. I get it myself when I have not drunk enough water. A quick pint or two and I feel dandy.

I reckon the cause for most headaches in this country is dehydration and nothing else. A quick peek whilst pishing in a local busy boozer is enough to show that most people are properly dehydrated most of the time. I think most people think their pee is supposed to be bright yellow ?!