House Price Crash Forum
sleepwello'nights

Barrister Who Was Dragged From Court In Handcuffs Wins £100K From The Met

Hmmm. press article says:

"Mr Challenger, 65, was arrested following a fracas at the Royal Courts of Justice after a bankruptcy case against his client, lawyer Jamil Tehrani, was adjourned. Onlookers who claimed they had been mistreated by Mr Tehrani turned on Mr Challenger and accused him of delaying tactics."

frankly, the more defending lawyers get slapped around, the happier I will be. It's a possible scenario that he's represented a lot of dodgy geezers and got them off - perhaps the police saw a chance for a bit of rough justice back.

of course, the above is just a personal speculation or hypothesis :rolleyes:

*the fact I've had to write in the above format to minimise risk of being sued is in itself another reason why I like dead lawyer jokes.*

We'll be footing the bill, and nobody in the service concerned will be sacked. :rolleyes:

I wouldnt be so sure...certainly footing "the Bill" in the ass would be in order.

There are two types of barristers:

1. Shysters
  2. Failures

Not a good idea to get on the wrong side of one.

Police, on the other hand, are a broad mix of good and bad, sensible and stupid, etc.

I wouldnt be so sure...certainly footing "the Bill" in the ass would be in order.

I'm posting that based on past performance, of course it may be different this time.

So? Whats the point with 100k compensation they'll just jack up council taxes next year to pay for it.

There is little moral hazard to it.....

Now if they started to take the 100K out of the police pension fund, now that would be a nice way to get them to behave wouldn't it?

Guest UK Debt Slave

There are two types of barristers:

1. Shysters

2. Failures

Not a good idea to get on the wrong side of one.

Police, on the other hand, are a broad mix of good and bad, sensible and stupid, etc.

I don't have any sympathy for any barrister or lawyer. There's very little protection for people under common law. Ergo, why should I have one milligram of sympathy for the barrister/lawyer scum.

I don't have any sympathy for any barrister or lawyer. There's very little protection for people under common law. Ergo, why should I have one milligram of sympathy for the barrister/lawyer scum.

[/qu

There is all the protection in the world with common law as I was in court last week and it worked fine for me.

So? Whats the point with 100k compensation they'll just jack up council taxes next year to pay for it.

Dear Council Tax payers,

Please find enclosed, this years Council Tax Bill and payment plan.

Please note that it includes a £2 per month "Colin Challenger" Levy.

This is to cover a £100,000 payment to Mr Colin Challenger, of ###### street in ######### as compensation for his mistreatment by police officers after he assulted someone in court, and for his lost business even though being arrested for assult while "defending" a client is likely to dramatically increase his business.

Regards,

Local Council

I think there should be general provision for compensation payments to be deducted from employees' wages in public bodies. So if a hospital loses a claim then the compo and legal costs should be deducted from all staff salaries pro-rata how much they earn, eg a cleaner gets docked 50p, the CEO £10.

Likewise police, councils, etc. I'm fed up with organisations indulging in expensive legal battles, losing, and then passing the costs onto the taxpayer.

.......... for his mistreatment by police officers after he assaulted someone in court.........

You've missed the point. According to the story he didn't assault anybody. The police over-reacted and mistreated the victim not the perpetrator.