House Price Crash Forum

Conservative Spending Cuts Are Worse Than Thatcher's, Says Alan Johnson

Kyoto

HOLA441

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2010/oct/09/conservative-spending-cuts-thatcher-johnson

Alan Johnson launched a ferocious onslaught on the government's plans for deep and immediate spending cuts, warning they would "fundamentally alter our community" and inflict greater and more lasting damage on public services than Margaret Thatcher.

In an interview with the Observer, less than 24 hours after being appointed shadow chancellor by Ed Miliband, Johnson tore into the coalition's economic strategy, suggesting it heightened the risk of a double-dip recession.

He spoke out amid signs that ministers themselves were growing increasingly nervous at the effect their plans for £83bn worth of cuts – to be unveiled in 10 days' time – could have on jobs and economic activity.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Just read the article on Skynews website the man clearly thinks the proles are all thick as pigs muck and he can keep lying to us forever more and we'll believe whatever Ponzi nonsense he serves us.

I liked this quote though, he seems to have forgotten the 13 years his party was in power after the "Milk snatcher " where they more then put this 10% back in.

"If you think of (Margaret) Thatcher in the Eighties, the most she cut was 10%, and we are still feeling the effect of that in Hull, the city I represent."

If Hull can only exist with state handouts then its about time it was closed down.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

So has Johnson now found and read the Economics for Beginners text he was going to read when the news broke of his appointment?

BTW - kudos to Milibrown. He's put Balls where he'll struggle to do major damage to anyone except himself, and found a shadow chancellor that works (in opposition at least) 'cos he has the depth of experience in other senior roles. If Balls wins the Labour leadership next time round (as he's presumably been planning) it'll be despite his leader's best efforts.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

He said that the EFFECTS of the cuts would be worse than Thatcher's.

The Labour Party is committed to making cuts, but with the objective of minimising their effects.

We have seen how sensitively and well thought through the Osbourne choices are. e.g. Child benefit, Forgemasters.

HOLA449

The Labour Party is committed to making cuts, but with the objective of minimising their effects.

:lol::lol: since when in the history of the Labour party have they ever carried out a positive economic objective, you dont have to answer im off out to play with the fairies in the back garden

Edited by Tamara De Lempicka

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

We have seen how sensitively and well thought through the Osbourne choices are. e.g. Child benefit, Forgemasters.

So tell us more about these cuts Liebour would make..............maybe a few details?

Thought not.

HOLA4414

So tell us more about these cuts Liebour would make..............maybe a few details?

Thought not.

We have yet to hear the detail of the Tory cuts.

With Huhne muddying the water and the Tories playing fast and loose with the statistics, it would be premature to cite an alternative.

Labour have only just appointed their Shadow Chancellor. A little time to prepare his position will be sensible, rather than jump in as the Tories did, promising billions in painless 'economies' which have yet to be identified.

HOLA4415

We have yet to hear the detail of the Tory cuts.

With Huhne muddying the water and the Tories playing fast and loose with the statistics, it would be premature to cite an alternative.

Labour have only just appointed their Shadow Chancellor. A little time to prepare his position will be sensible, rather than jump in as the Tories did, promising billions in painless 'economies' which have yet to be identified.

err but its Johnson thats shooting his mouth off! I agree he should learn some economics first before making ridiculous statements

HOLA4416

I cannot believe Deadwood has made an ex postman shadow chancellor!! Is he thick?

Is this supposed to be a serious comment?

Do you have a prejudice against postmen or other people from ordinary backgrounds, who have had a difficult upbringing?

Alan Johnstone has achieved high public office, have you? If not, is it perhaps because you are thick?

The Tories have Bullingdon Club, never-worked-in-their-life, never had to worry about paying a bill elitists as Prime Minister and Chancellor. The Child Benefit debacle shows how out of touch they are even with their own supporters.

Osbourne is on record as saying that he only went into politics because he could not find another job. I suspect that being a postman would have been beneath him, but he may have good at it, certainly better than as Chancellor.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Milli has so far failed to impress -

He wants a graduate tax (FAIL)

He wants to rack up further debts = inflation = FAIL

I used to be vaguely supportive of the welfare state, but hearing the extent to which it's tentacles pervade British has made me very angry.

The iniquity of it is that we are taxing people on £12k so that Tarquin can have piano lessons and a subsidised university place! :angry:

The welfare system we have set up is a perverse monster and it needs to be slain.

BTW hilltop - virtually all politicans now, of whatever colour, have never held a proper job in their lives. Look at the Millibands, Balls, Cooper etc etc They are no different to the Tories, or the Liberals they just hold some different opinions that I think will actually hurt the poorest in our society more than help them.

Alan Johnson has the distinction that at least he might understand ordinary people more than most others in his position, he has admitted though that he has no economic experience or credentials. So from that perspective he is a poor choice. Osborne, for all his faults, has at least studied some economics.

Edited by LJAR

HOLA4419

Alan Johnson has the distinction that at least he might understand ordinary people more than most others in his position, he has admitted though that he has no economic experience or credentials. So from that perspective he is a poor choice. Osborne, for all his faults, has at least studied some economics.

I'm not sure - the more people think they understand economics, the more deluded and entrenched their views seem to become, and the less common sense they seem to have.

There are a multitude of views in economics all proclaiming themselves to be 100% right. A bit like religion.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

I'm not sure - the more people think they understand economics, the more deluded and entrenched their views seem to become, and the less common sense they seem to have.

There are a multitude of views in economics all proclaiming themselves to be 100% right. A bit like religion.

fair enough, but a grasp of the basics is required. We will see if he is out of his depth or not.

I really wish Labour would get their act together and put forward a realistic alternative. At the moment all they do is say "look nasty tories cutting things!" which is uterly childish.

HOLA4422

Is this supposed to be a serious comment?

Do you have a prejudice against postmen or other people from ordinary backgrounds, who have had a difficult upbringing?

Alan Johnstone has achieved high public office, have you? If not, is it perhaps because you are thick?

The Tories have Bullingdon Club, never-worked-in-their-life, never had to worry about paying a bill elitists as Prime Minister and Chancellor. The Child Benefit debacle shows how out of touch they are even with their own supporters.

Osbourne is on record as saying that he only went into politics because he could not find another job. I suspect that being a postman would have been beneath him, but he may have good at it, certainly better than as Chancellor.

Are you for real? Slagging off the Tories doesn't make up for the fact that Labour are political and financial dim-wits. And I have nothing against postmen, my old English teacher is now a postman, good bloke he was too but retired when Labour abolished discipline, but I think it is funny how people with not much up top get a long way in Government that possess no real skill, there are many such people in the Tory party.

Alan Johnson only climbed the corperate ladder because he was a trouble making union man promoted to management where he wouldn't cause trouble.

HOLA4423

Personally I prefer an Ex postman to Lord Snooty.

The fact is neither Osborne or Johnson are experienced or qualified enough to be in charge of an economy the size of the UK's. We all know what happens when you put a muppet in the job (Crash Gordon)!!

Doesn't prefering a Posty over Lord Snooty show you have a touch of the old inverted snobbery?

HOLA4424

Personally I prefer an Ex postman to Lord Snooty.

...nothing wrong with him being a postman....that's a real job ....the problem is he is an ex union leader and ex Nuliebour Government Minister under Gordo the Clown....part of the scorched earth policy with no credibility....'thought Red Ed was bringing in the new generation .... 'wish these guys would stop cracking jokes....not funny..... :rolleyes:

HOLA4425

The Child Benefit debacle shows how out of touch they are even with their own supporters.

...most of the country agree with it..... :rolleyes:

....is this not the case for most politicians ....?.... :rolleyes: