House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave Beans

The Perfect Pop Song

It's a fantastic pop song.

What makes a pop song great? Probably a catchy tune and a lyric (or even just a hook) that is abstract enough that people can make it mean whatever they want.

If anyone wants to study how songs are written, and how different chord types/progressions evoke different emotions, I reccomend this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Write-Songs-Guitar-Guitar-playing/dp/0879309423/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1286699244&sr=8-1

The study of song writing is why I like playing the guitar. I'm not into widdly widdly solo's, but how some people write songs that stick in the mind of several generations and what the building blocks of those songs are, fascinates me.

If anyone else has any book reccomendations, please post them up!

It's very subjective I know, but this has to be very close...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EXxMlIExpo

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11485702

Three thousand drawings.. :blink:

What makes a pop song great? Hearing it over and over again, and never getting bored of it?

I'm surprised they got away with only 3,000 drawings. That's like, 100 seconds of animation, 125 at best, depending on the frame rate you're working in. Although looking through that YouTube, they did a lot of rostrum work to stretch it out. A job well done, actually.

As far as the tune goes, it's the Scandinavians who have all the catchy melodies, isn't it?

Even nowadays, something like, say, Britney Spears' "Oops, I Did It Again" is really just an ABBA knock-off.

David Bowie-Life on Mars

Beatles-Something

Four Tops-I'll be there

Marvin Gaye-Sexual healing

Smiths-This charming man

5 perfect pop songs off top of my head. Trick is to be simple enough to be catchy but still original and interesting.

I see having such a songwriting gift as just as impressive as writing a symphony, it is far harder than people think

I know, I know. You've heard it a gazillion times already. But it's still got that something, you know?

Cute video, too.

If you're talking Ah Ha songs, Id say, "Ive been losing you" is their best although "I call your name", "Move to Memphis" and "Shapes that go together" are great too.

Other perfect pop songs would be Rainbow, "All night long", U2 "Vertigo', Belouis Some "Imagination", Kim Carnes "Bette Davis Eyes", ...cant think of any more now, but there are others.

If you're talking Ah Ha songs, Id say, "Ive been losing you" is their best although "I call your name", "Move to Memphis" and "Shapes that go together" are great too.

Other perfect pop songs would be Rainbow, "All night long", U2 "Vertigo', Belouis Some "Imagination", Kim Carnes "Bette Davis Eyes", ...cant think of any more now, but there are others.

The Sun Always Shines On TV is a great pop record too..

I'm a bit of a sucker for synthpop...the early eighties were a fantastic time for that sort of thing, before bloody Stock, Aitkin & Waterman & Jive Bunny buggered the whole thing up..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ_X43zcXcU

What a legacy the likes of Kraftwerk & Gary Numan have left..

I look at the charts, and I just despair at the sheer crapness of it all...Everything over produced & is just rubbish. I mean Scouting For Girls...Come on.... There's some fantastic underground bands (a few of which made it "mainstream" - Arcade Fire for instance..)...