House Price Crash Forum
wherebee

Anti-Landlord Piece: Torygraph

Telegraph anti-landlord piece

Another straw in the wind. The connections between the Tories and the media - just like Labour and the media - mean that every single one of these articles should be approached with a 'is this a piece designed to test the water for the government ahead of a policy announcement'.

Comments are awesome

Edited by wherebee

Another straw in the wind. The connections between the Tories and the media - just like Labour and the media - mean that every single one of these articles should be approached with a 'is this a piece designed to test the water for the government ahead of a policy announcement'.

Comments are awesome

There's been a few pieces in the Torygraph these last few weeks where I've thought 'this looks like Tory kite flying.

This issue needs lots more coverage. We have BTL landlords making more from benefit claimants then the benefit claimants themselves. This one would really get peoples blood boiling.

Edited by Kyoto

Comments are awesome

I am sure you are correct. Got a link?

I didn't think the term Rachamnesque Landlords referred to Housing Assoc. and the like, maybe it does :D

I'm confused as to what he means by "social housing landlords". This would normally mean HAs, but then he calls them Rachmanesque and accuses them of enriching themselves which looks like he menas private landlords.

It would be an interesting development if he's been told they're thinking of cutting of HA rents as well

Rather it is to do with the way social housing landlords have been able to max out on housing benefit rents. The taxpayer has funded the enrichment of a whole new generation of Rachmanesque landlords with a huge vested interest in the benefit dependent. In any case, some way of slaying this benefit leviathan must be found
Edited by oldsport

I'm confused as to what he means by "social housing landlords". This would normally mean HAs, but then he calls them Rachmanesque and accuses them of enriching themselves which looks like he menas private landlords.

It would be an interesting development if he's been told they're thinking of cutting of HA rents as well

I think these Housing Associations deserve some investigating. Their lobbying organisation, that "Charted Institute of Housing" ( http://www.cih.org/ ) has been behaving pretty much like opportunistic b@stards to me.

Have you seen their HQ? Pretty nice.

HA may not be allowed "profits", but there are many legal ways around it. They probably pay v. well its "members", or staff, and I would guess with nice pension plans, etc.

If someone here has a little extra time, it could prove a very interesting research.

Does anyone know who funds the Chartered Institute of Housing? I can’t get wiki at the mo. :angry:

Edited by Blod

Does that mean that they're state sponsored?

I am not sure, but I don't think so. I think HAs have some kind of autonomy.

But are they registered as "charities"? Or perhaps "Social Enterprises"? Or are they just normal private sector companies? I don't know.

Anyone here knows, please?

Having finally got rather muddled replies from both the HMRC and the Department of Communities and Local Government it would appear that as of 2006 there were 1.2 landlords and approximately 880,000 paying tax on declared rental income.

Having finally got rather muddled replies from both the HMRC and the Department of Communities and Local Government it would appear that as of 2006 there were 1.2 landlords and approximately 880,000 paying tax on declared rental income.

Should that be 1.2 million?

Should that be 1.2 million?

Yes, sorry it should be 1.2 million.

That figure comes from The Rugg Review, “The private rented sector: its contribution and potential” published in 2008, used the English Housing Condition Survey (2006). The report was sponsored by the Department of Communities and Local Goveernment. They admit “that there are a number of difficulties counting the number of landlords in England as there is no central register and a significant number of residential lettings are made on an informal basis.”

No wonder BTL has become popular as it presents an easy way to shelter income from income tax.

I love the way that a piece like that is never more than 10 comments away from someone mentioning the Jeremy Kyle Show.

And Fatcher's right to buy, which is to continue to miss the point.

The problem has never been who owns the property but the extent of the subsidy. There are too many people of working age who are not paying their own way and there has been little effort to get value for money in the cost taxpayers have been hit with. That subsidy has helped price working people out of some areas and that should never have been allowed to happen. It is a cost that would be equally burdensome to taxpayers whether the properties were private or council ones because it comes as a result of having too many tenants who are not contributing receiving too large a subsidy for their accommodation.

And Fatcher's right to buy, which is to continue to miss the point.

The problem has never been who owns the property but the extent of the subsidy. There are too many people of working age who are not paying their own way and there has been little effort to get value for money in the cost taxpayers have been hit with. That subsidy has helped price working people out of some areas and that should never have been allowed to happen. It is a cost that would be equally burdensome to taxpayers whether the properties were private or council ones because it comes as a result of having too many tenants who are not contributing receiving too large a subsidy for their accommodation.

How can paying a council rent of say 72 quid per week be 'equally as burdensome ' as paying 120 for a housing association property or 150 for private rented?(estimated local prices)

Comments are awesome

Good point.

Also, Shapps' speech was so mild I was not sure he was saying anything. Though mild for us, apparently it was revolutionary for HPI VIs, as the Tory media made clear.