House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
stripycat

Doom Prophets Looking Foolish

Local property paper headline story.

"Many housing market experts are beginning to look foolish as the crash in prices predicted by many fails to materialise and looks increasingly unlikely to do so"

In addition experts at the forthcoming property investor show broadly agree that the remainder of the year is likely to see continuing stabilisation in house prices"

Nick Clark, MD of the show "However many so-called experts have been overly pessimistic in their predictions for the market's future in their quest for media notoriety at the expense of sensible analysis"

Barbara Goldsmith of Stratford Properties "There is a tonne of money to be made, but in these uncertain times you need plenty of contingency funds to cover unexpected events. A big deposit is essential"

Pretty sensible advise from Barbara.

If the local property paper says so then it must be true. :rolleyes:

Barbara Goldsmith of Stratford Properties "There is a tonne of money to be made, but in these uncertain times you need plenty of contingency funds to cover unexpected events. A big deposit is essential"

Isn't she saying there's loads of money to be made, but it's essencial to have a big deposit/plenty of equity in order to absorb potentially large losses. Why else would such contingency be so important if there's "a tonne of money to be made"!?

Reminds me of tech/dot-com booms when people I know were gleefully saying that their spreadbets will make them loads of money, but at the same time having to find tens of thousands of pounds in margin calls to maintain their ever-weakening postions.

Doesn't contingency suggest the potential for a loss???

Isn't she saying there's loads of money to be made, but it's essencial to have a big deposit/plenty of equity in order to absorb potentially large losses.  Why else would such contingency be so important if there's "a tonne of money to be made"!?

Reminds me of tech/dot-com booms when people I know were gleefully saying that their spreadbets will make them loads of money, but at the same time having to find tens of thousands of pounds in margin calls to maintain their ever-weakening postions.

I presume that by the quote 'in these uncertain times' she is referring to terror attacks, hurriance strikes, the price of oil, the passing of the pope, the unseasonably cool summer and possibly global warming.

Can't have anything to do unsustainable property prices. :rolleyes:

isn't she the mad cow off the telly from a while ago ?  now she is hilarious !

Now that you said that, I remember her now...!

Was she the woman who was advocating buying property in Bradford, or some other "up and coming" area...? <_<

Doesn't contingency suggest the potential for a loss???

No, you need the contingency fund to buy even more property if the price drops :).

"Many housing market experts are beginning to look foolish as the crash in prices predicted by many fails to materialise and looks increasingly unlikely to do so"

In addition experts at the forthcoming property investor show broadly agree that the remainder of the year is likely to see continuing stabilisation in house prices"

Nick Clark, MD of the show "However many so-called experts have been overly pessimistic in their predictions for the market's future in their quest for media notoriety at the expense of sensible analysis"

Pretty sensible advise from Barbara.

If the local property paper says so then it must be true.  :rolleyes:

Few things are worse than being right too soon. Think of those perfectly competent fund managers who said the tech boom was a house of cards and got fired in early 2000 after three years of miserable under performance.

"stabilisation"

What does this word mean?

it means the monthly rate of change in decline has stabilised at roughly -1% per month.

think about it,june yoy HPI 5% ish

july yoy HPI 3.5% ish (-1.5%)

aug yoy HPI 2.5% (-1%)

sep yoy 1%(-1.5%)

oct yoy 0%(-1%)

dy/dx(rate of change) stable at 1-1.5%

maybe to carry on that way until we see a very protracted period of figures stating that it's 7% down on last year(and we see the same thing for years and get bored)

LOL - Are you from Reading? That's on the front of my local property rag today too. I think that last weeks was talking about how house prices were 'easing'... you know, becoming cheaper.... or er, falling.

LOL - Are you from Reading?  That's on the front of my local property rag today too.  I think that last weeks was talking about how house prices were 'easing'... you know, becoming cheaper.... or er, falling.

Yes it was in the property supplement with the Reading Chronicle.

Also noticed on South Today on BBC this evening the presenter was holding up a Newbury paper with "House Price Crash Fails" in major headlines. (story wasn't about property just happened to be a property headline in this paper -or maybe not maybe the director has a huge BTl portfolio :o ) Anyhow, this story is obviously being run in a few different property papers.

"Stabilise/stabilising" is a word that gets banded about a lot.

I would love to know what people mean by it.

At the very least it is an admission that prices have fallen, dipped or been knocked off course.

It's like when you are flying...."just turbulence".

:lol:

"Stabilise/stabilising" is a word that gets banded about a lot.

I would love to know what people mean by it.

At the very least it is an admission that prices have fallen, dipped or been knocked off course.

It's like when you are flying...."just turbulence".

:lol:

I take stabilise to mean steadying not falling.

I think that the fact the property press is staring to use the crash word is very surprising and encouraging. I think it shows we are moving from passive denial into active denial. How far are we from panic? January 2006....

I take stabilise to mean steadying not falling.

I think that the fact the property press is staring to use the crash word is very surprising and encouraging. I think it shows we are moving from passive denial into active denial. How far are we from panic? January 2006....

Just to clear things up as far as vested interests go it is this:

Stabilising = falling but I hope not too much

Stagnating = falling but I hope not too much

bottoming out = falling but I hope not too much further.