House Price Crash Forum

What Is Your Favourite Cheese?

HOLA441

Off-topic doesn't seem to be as Off-Topic as it used to be, so in time honoured tradition, I ask you all,

What is your favourite Cheese?

Mine is Lancashire. Certain cheeses are better suited in certain dishes than others, but If I could only choose 1 cheese, it would be Lancashire.

No Anthea or Grant related Camembert jokes please!

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

There are too many to choose just the one.

Today I bought four great hard cheeses: Keens cheddar (they didn't have the Quickes Vintage), Devon Smoke, Pendragon, and one gorgeous but foreign (to our region) cheese: Cropwell Bishop stilton.

But that's just today. Another time I might go for some of the fine soft cheeses: Bakesy Meadow is just gorgeous for instance, and I'm always partial to Brie variants like Black Eyed Susan, or classic goats cheese like Vulscombe. Or the sharpness of a Harbourne or Beenleigh Blue. Or many, many others.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Unpasteurised soft French cheese.

Love unpasteurised cheese.. didn't think you could get it in this country though? My favourite is central American "Queso Fresco".

My favourite cheese available in this country is without doubt Mont d'or :D

800px-Vacherin_Mont_d%27Or.jpg

HOLA4412

Ring cheddar from Ireland - very hard cheese, great combination with silverskin onions. Stopped production in the 90s because of regulations on use of unpasteurised milk. It used to sting the tongue, so I reckon they used alot of salt.

Apart from that, sweaty stilton for mouth orgy.

HOLA4413

Love unpasteurised cheese.. didn't think you could get it in this country though? My favourite is central American "Queso Fresco".

My favourite cheese available in this country is without doubt Mont d'or :D

800px-Vacherin_Mont_d%27Or.jpg

Two kinds -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacherin_%28cheese%29

The first is eaten in the box like fondu. I've been told that's a good hangover cure, baked in the oven with sherry poured into the middle.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Is that a variant on Geitost/Gudbrandsdalost? Lovely stuff, just not cheese as we know it. Aha, wikipedia says yes it is!

Now Gamalost ... that really is an acquired taste.

Geitost! Yes I never heard it called that!

Well done King Harold for beating off the other Harald Hardraader, or we would be knee deep in the stuff! :(

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Went to Bella Pasta the other day and tried a dish called Penne Diavolo (Penne pasta, tomato sauce, salami and chili).

It came with a dollop of mascarpone cheese which I had never tried before and it was gorgeous. It was the perfect foil to the spicy flavours.

HOLA4425

Stilton - has the added benefit of being a great low-cost LSD alternative when eaten just before going to bed.

I'm not sure that effect is confined to Stilton.My favourite is Roquefort but a perfectly ordinary mousetrap Cheddar seems capable of generating weird and entertaining dreams.

Archived