House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Harry Monk

The French Revolution.

In 1789, the French populace, fed up with increasing taxation and poverty because of France's near bankruptcy as a result of unpopular wars fought by Louis XV, rounded on their masters. Within three years, virtually everybody in power in France had been guillotined.

Just as a theoretical Saturday night question, would it be good or bad if that happened here?

And a series of complete nutters, even by French standards, were able to take power in the vacuum left.

Ending with Napoleon who brought about the first world war. (please note lower case)

I will continue to hope that the democratic system will win through and consign the current Government to a very short historical footnote.

In 1789, the French populace, fed up with increasing taxation and poverty because of France's near bankruptcy as a result of unpopular wars fought by Louis XV, rounded on their masters. Within three years, virtually everybody in power in France had been guillotined.

Just as a theoretical Saturday night question, would it be good or bad if that happened here?

From where I sit, I see no signs of a whole generation of young people being priced out of putting a roof over their heads in France. I don't think there is a hpc equivalent in France or indeed the need. The revolution must have achieved something.

From where I sit, I see no signs of a whole generation of young people being priced out of putting a roof over their heads in France.

:)

Really? You should go and tell that to the French exact equivalent of hpc.co.uk (created in 2004), they'll be delighted to know they were wrong all this time.

And a series of complete nutters, even by French standards, were able to take power in the vacuum left.

Ending with Napoleon who brought about the first world war. (please note lower case)

I will continue to hope that the democratic system will win through and consign the current Government to a very short historical footnote.

Napoleon did not fought against nations, he fought against imperialists. No country was ever "conquered" by him. Stop reading Norman Davies books...get a proper one.

Really? You should go and tell that to the French exact equivalent of hpc.co.uk (created in 2004), they'll be delighted to know they were wrong all this time.

France is nowhere near as bad for property values, this for £45,000, first one I clicked on.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/overseas-property/property-16785516.html

And they don't work as hard... for some reason we fault them for this, and their excessive Bank Holidays etc ;)

I stand corrected. Anecdotally, where I live in sw France, I was talking to an assistant in my local diy store and she was telling me of her new house. 3 bed new build on an acre of land total cost less than 100k euros. I guess she is buying with a partner but even on the minimum wage in France (just over 16k euros for a 35 hour week) she will have a very nice house in the country for less than the price of a 2 bed slavebox in some chav ridden UK market town. God save the Queen.

The French equivalent of hpc.co.uk was a bit eccentric.

Their main premise seemed to be that house price figures in France were a fiction and that the real prices were much lower. They had a series of undercover videos of conversations with estate agents supposedly proving that this was the case. At one point they were asking us to donate money so they could come over here and record similar videos. :lol:

I stand corrected. Anecdotally, where I live in sw France, I was talking to an assistant in my local diy store and she was telling me of her new house. 3 bed new build on an acre of land total cost less than 100k euros. I guess she is buying with a partner but even on the minimum wage in France (just over 16k euros for a 35 hour week) she will have a very nice house in the country for less than the price of a 2 bed slavebox in some chav ridden UK market town. God save the Queen.

So you tried to chat up a bit of top class French totty with "I got a camper van."

and she countered with "I have got a house and a french boy friend, you sad poor brit expat."

I have long maintained that the UK needs a Robespierre type character to sort out parliament.

I don't see what the French Revolution has to do with house prices in 2010! but i can also see that you haven't got a clue about French history as well!

Louis XV Died in 1774 before the revolution

20 june 1789 'le sement du paume '(577 MPs decided to create a new nation)

14 July 1789 le peuple de Paris prend la Bastille(10,000 people armed with 30,000 guns attack and take the fortress to free the prisoners there but there are only 7 in the cells!

4 august 1789 They abolish the 'priviléges' meaning equality for taxes

14 july 1790 La Fayette a french general celibrates the taking of the Bastille

21 june 1791 Louis XVI was arrested in Varennes he was on the run

21 january 1793 The king Louis XVI was executed

16 october 1793 Marie-Antoinette executed

27 july 1793 Robespierre the chef of the terror is arrested executed next day along with 80 others

10 november 1799 Napoleon Bonaparte takes over the 'Directoire ' in Paris and writes the first constitution !

Napoleon did not fought against nations, he fought against imperialists. No country was ever "conquered" by him. Stop reading Norman Davies books...get a proper one.

And his invasion of Egypt? Were they imperialists?

Tell that to the Dutch, the French "allies".

Besides. Napoleon, l'Empereur, the First French Empire. Emperor Napoleon the First was not an imperialist? What does "imperial" mean again?

:o

Edited by EUBanana

I don't see what the French Revolution has to do with house prices in 2010! but i can also see that you haven't got a clue about French history as well!

Yea sorry, just got it off Wikipedia, I understand that the more knowledgeable are allowed to correct entries.

France is nowhere near as bad for property values, this for £45,000, first one I clicked on.

http://www.rightmove...y-16785516.html

And they don't work as hard... for some reason we fault them for this, and their excessive Bank Holidays etc ;)

I'm sorry but Britanny is one of the many ass ends of France and you are showing me what looks like a liquidation sale by some overextended person from the UK.

There is a serious housing problem in France, at last where jobs are.

So you tried to chat up a bit of top class French totty with "I got a camper van."

and she countered with "I have got a house and a french boy friend, you sad poor brit expat."

If I'd wanted the conversation to go that way i'd have said something along the lines of ' I used to have a house in the UK with a garden the size of a tablecloth but I swapped it for a place in France with more land than my neighbour can use for his sheep + campervan for my holidays + a couple of hundred grand waiting to buy the equivalent of what I sold in the UK for half the price once prices have fallen a bit more'. But then I remembered I was in France and people here tend to think of houses as somewhere to live and not as a means to make money.

I have long maintained that the UK needs a Robespierre type character to sort out parliament.

We had Cromwell.

One of England's advantages was that we got revolution and bloodshed out of the way first, then concentrated on making money.

I see you've missed all the 'Assignats' threads. I don't know how to search on this site but if you can I suggest you do. It explains what happened to France at that time.

Do you have a link at all?

TIA.

I'm sorry but Britanny is one of the many ass ends of France and you are showing me what looks like a liquidation sale by some overextended person from the UK.

Yes, that is exactly what it is.

But it would be £300,000 in Surrey so it serves to prove that French people are not as simple-minded as Surrey people. Any French person in that village could buy it tomorrow.