House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Executive Sadman

Wow, Just Wow.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1318975/Britons-donated-7m-help-pay-national-debt.html

But charity director Dame Hilary Blume, who gave each of her five children and grandchildren a £20 voucher towards the national debt for Christmas last year, insisted it was a great way to own up to collective responsibility for the debt.

She said: 'The debt belongs to everybody. Why don't people feel Treasury finances are something to worry about? I think there is a real problem that people do not connect the Government with their own lives.

'Every contribution will make a bit of a difference. It is just like any other debt. You have to start somewhere.'

Dame Hilary, 65, admitted her grandchildren may not have wholly appreciated the unusual gift.

She said: 'The oldest is five and I'm not sure how grateful they were. I don't think they really understood what it was all about but they knew they had helped a good cause.'

Professor Nicholas Crafts, an economist at the University of Warwick, said donating to the national debt was like throwing money down the drain.

'I've never heard of anything like this before,' he said. 'I can't understand why people would do this with their money. Surely they realise they can never pay off the national debt in this way.

I guess its inspiring, in a futile pointless way.

She's the evil miserable old granny no-one would want. I mean, giving a five year old a voucher that is worthless to make a political statement. Socks and underpants would have been appreciated more.

Then the professor of warwick or wherever adds his ten cents worth taking it all seriously. He should just call it out as it is, "the mad cat lady should be locked up, now lets talk about something worthy of my time shall we".

The more I think about that, the more I realise the £20 notes used to repay the 'never to be repaid' debt are just chipwrappers too.

We are all on the brink of suddenly waking up in the middle of the night shaking, full to the brim of the realisation that everything from our pension plans to our wallets are stuffed full of soggy papier-mâché.

bit like the chips from our closest chippy....best avoided.

Good to know that kids are giving their all to rescue the UK while many companies and city institutions are preparing to scarper to Switzerland for tax reasons.

Presumably patriotism like tax is only for the little people

Edited by realcrookswearsuits

We are all on the brink of suddenly waking up in the middle of the night shaking, full to the brim of the realisation that everything from our pension plans to our wallets are stuffed full of soggy papier-mâché.

I guess it makes sense to prepare mentally for that situation, I suppose I'm part of the way there. Should be Okay for another week though.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1318975/Britons-donated-7m-help-pay-national-debt.html

But charity director Dame Hilary Blume, who gave each of her five children and grandchildren a £20 voucher towards the national debt for Christmas last year, insisted it was a great way to own up to collective responsibility for the debt.

Time for Mr Blair and Mr Brown to donate all their lecturing and book publishing profits and perhaps property flipping profits as well to pay down the national debt..

But if you notice, the kids didn't volunteer their money. It was given on their behalf by their patron and benefactor. Wiser heads then theirs prevailed. Very Gordon.

Well our new beloved leader has not been slow to come forward with a 'Your Country Needs You' slogan.

Strange how politicians are only too happy to encourage people to lay down their financial lives for others.

At least in 1914 the sons of the elite signed up to be mown down on the Western Front with the rest of the population.

Now their modern equivalent can not wait to scarper to Geneva

Edited by realcrookswearsuits

Experience has taught me not to discuss personal finances on 'teh Interwebs', but in my opinion, a man in the street (who has no debt - if he does, he should pay that off first) should have some precious metals as a hedge, and be prepared to go virtually all in if a really hard deflation takes grip and the system finally looks set to break and go for full printing/crack-up.

(EDITED TO ADD: After the storm has blown over or failed to materialise, I'd say equities rather than PMs.)

It's part of the plan to ensure even the self-appointed "savvy" cynics lose everything too.

I do think that this might be such a major event that coming out with any wealth on the other side of it might be pure lottery. A bit like being a dinosaur standing in the right place when the asteroid hits and going on to be a pigeon. :D

Yeah you would say that, conspiracy theorist!

Guest The Relaxation Suite

http://www.dailymail...pipe-dream.html

Hands up who thinks Brown or Blair will follow Stanley Baldwin's example:

Interesting about Baldwin. Today this would be about 72 million pounds. Blair is worth about 45 million, so a similar gesture would mean him giving about 9 million to the treasury. Instead, he his going to spend the money on an eighth house in Barbados where he is going to retire.

The greatest irony is that Baldwin was not responsible for the war yet he still gave his money over, whereas Blair is responsible for bankrupting the nation but chooses to spend his money on lavish homes in the Caribbean.

And they wonder why people despise politicians so much today. Long gone is the honour that drove men like Baldwin. Now we are nation of thieves and charlatans following our leaders' examples.

Edited by Tecumseh

She's the evil miserable old granny no-one would want. I mean, giving a five year old a voucher that is worthless to make a political statement. Socks and underpants would have been appreciated more.

Then the professor of warwick or wherever adds his ten cents worth taking it all seriously. He should just call it out as it is, "the mad cat lady should be locked up, now lets talk about something worthy of my time shall we".

Miserable old cow, hope they let her sit in her own p*ss when the time comes.

If this is the case, then this has to help if the red populous start accumulating as well!

There's been a massive push by the Chinese government to encourage it's people to buy gold as the government knows what's coming. But most rich Chinese (businessmen etc) have too much money to care about investments. They would rather waste money on overpriced property so they can show off their property portfolio to beautiful girls to impress them. Status objects like cars and property are currently more important than sensible investments in China.

People underestimate how much wealth is in China now. Sure in the West we have something like 80% of the top richest people. But there are a lot of semi rich Chinese people with a wealth between $1-10 million, probably 100x more than we have in the West.

1-10 million is the new middle class in China. It's created a two tier society where the wealthy middle class buy all the goods and services (so prices are now high for many of these) plus all the materialistic girls get with these guys in multiples to one and the ones who don't are traditional and also don't like foreign guys, so it sucks for me to be in China- I want to live in Tokyo.