House Price Crash Forum

4 Dozen Habaneros

HOLA441

I picked my crop of chilli peppers last night and have made some West Indian style chilli sauce by blending and adding vinegar, salt and some oil before boiling and then sealing in Kilner jars.

I had fancied drying them, but alas the sun has been non existent.

What other suggestions can HPC come up with so I can try something different next year?

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

great for chutney and chillies add a kick if you have fruit and want to make a few jars of mad jam.

If you take the tops off and seed them then you can freeze the chillies aswell, only good for cooking with after defrosting though.

Dehydrators are worth getting if you have lots of produce to store.

HOLA445

I picked my crop of chilli peppers last night and have made some West Indian style chilli sauce by blending and adding vinegar, salt and some oil before boiling and then sealing in Kilner jars.

I had fancied drying them, but alas the sun has been non existent.

What other suggestions can HPC come up with so I can try something different next year?

If you've got any green ones Cayenne, Fresno, Goat Horn or even Pimento (if you're a pussy)

Indian Chilli pickle

fill a 1 Kg jar with destalked fresh chillies that have been sliced from top to bottom, add 300 mls lemon juice and stand for an hour, shake occasionally.

Mix the following dry ingredients in a bowl: -

50g Fenugreek seeds roasted then preferably smashed rather than fully ground.

50g Mustard seeds roasted then preferably smashed rather than fully ground.

20g Turmeric roasted then ground to a powder.

50g Cumin seeds roasted then ground to a powder.

30g Salt sounds a lot tone it down to taste; can be added in later but a bit messy.

Make a thin slurry by adding to this mixture: -

300 mls Lemon juice. Drained from the chillies above.

100mls Mustard seed oil.

Add a couple of teaspoons off whole mustard seeds for that prettiness stuff.

Pour this slurry over the chillies, seal the jar and leave for at least a month for best results.

Have only made this once as it's cheaper to buy, but if you have an excess of chillies then it's definitely worth a go. Great with cheese and crackers, believe it or not.

Bloody addictive though.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

The season is right for late fruits such as blackberries, which make a delicious chutney. And it's the start of winter soup season, with pumpkins and squashes much in evidence - more good uses for chillies, and something you can brew up a big cauldron of and freeze the surplus. As well as, of course, everyday cooking.

HOLA449

If you've got any green ones Cayenne, Fresno, Goat Horn or even Pimento (if you're a pussy)

Indian Chilli pickle

fill a 1 Kg jar with destalked fresh chillies that have been sliced from top to bottom, add 300 mls lemon juice and stand for an hour, shake occasionally.

Mix the following dry ingredients in a bowl: -

50g Fenugreek seeds roasted then preferably smashed rather than fully ground.

50g Mustard seeds roasted then preferably smashed rather than fully ground.

20g Turmeric roasted then ground to a powder.

50g Cumin seeds roasted then ground to a powder.

30g Salt sounds a lot tone it down to taste; can be added in later but a bit messy.

Make a thin slurry by adding to this mixture: -

300 mls Lemon juice. Drained from the chillies above.

100mls Mustard seed oil.

Add a couple of teaspoons off whole mustard seeds for that prettiness stuff.

Pour this slurry over the chillies, seal the jar and leave for at least a month for best results.

Have only made this once as it's cheaper to buy, but if you have an excess of chillies then it's definitely worth a go. Great with cheese and crackers, believe it or not.

Bloody addictive though.

I like the sound of this!!!!

HOLA4410

Chillies store well in oil too. Store them in a jar of olive oil or just add a handful to a descent olive oil that you will cook with to give it flavour and kick.

This is not true and also quite dangerous if the chillies have not been completely dried out / heat treated prior to adding them to the oil. Fresh chillies will rot and botulism can thrive in the low acidity / low oxygen environment that olive oil allows.

There's some good info here on creating a safe product:

http://www.fiery-foods.com/howto/67-manufacturing/1042-hot-sauce-playing-it-safe

I had a bumper crop of habeneros and Dorset nagas this year, probably picked around 500 last week :) . I've frozen has many as I could fit in the freezer and taken the rest to my local smokery. They're going to cold smoke them and then vacuum pack the lot for £10 (for around 300 chillies) and then they should keep for anything up to 2 years without losing their heat.

I'm going to be trying this chilli jam recipe this week:

http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/chilli-jam-2692

And have already knocked up some Onion Nagalade based on this recipe here:

http://www.chillisgalore.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2546

There's a lot of good info on the chillisgalore site.

have fun with them what ever you end up doing :)

HOLA4411

This is not true and also quite dangerous if the chillies have not been completely dried out / heat treated prior to adding them to the oil. Fresh chillies will rot and botulism can thrive in the low acidity / low oxygen environment that olive oil allows.

There's some good info here on creating a safe product:

http://www.fiery-foods.com/howto/67-manufacturing/1042-hot-sauce-playing-it-safe

I didn't know that although tbh I have always dried my chillies and only added dried chillies to infuse cooking oils. Doesn't everyone dry their chillies? I thought that was universal and now I know why. :D

HOLA4412

I didn't know that although tbh I have always dried my chillies and only added dried chillies to infuse cooking oils. Doesn't everyone dry their chillies? I thought that was universal and now I know why. :D

Prefer fresh chillies.

Especially since one of our local shops found a supply of scotch bonnets.

HOLA4413

Archived