House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JoJoDancer

American Style Refrigerator

We got an American style refrigerator with the fitted kitchen we had installed 3 years ago. Now the thing won't work! The cool box is room temperature and the freezer is about -1c. So who do you get to fix these things? I reckon it's a problem with the computer chip. Tried switching it off and on again, but it made no difference. Needdless to say, the company that fitted the kitchen has gone bust!

We got an American style refrigerator with the fitted kitchen we had installed 3 years ago. Now the thing won't work! The cool box is room temperature and the freezer is about -1c. So who do you get to fix these things? I reckon it's a problem with the computer chip. Tried switching it off and on again, but it made no difference. Needdless to say, the company that fitted the kitchen has gone bust!

Need someone that does white goods repair. Hopefully it is something cheap but sounds like it could be the fridge compressor that has packed up.

Given that it is still partially working from what you say, It could just be that the cooling gas needs to be topped up.

Fridges have got to be the most reliable things with moving parts ever!

They are thrown away more often due to rust, or the door falling off!

I reckon it's a curse from God!

Fridges have got to be the most reliable things with moving parts ever!

They are thrown away more often due to rust, or the door falling off!

I reckon it's a curse from God!

Yet strangely water chillers (which are basically the same thing) are among the least reliable things on Earth! We have at least ten engineer visits a year to sort our out and we only have three.

I have one of those old white ones from the seventies where the plastic trim has gone a bit yellow. It works. I have quite literally never noticed its existence until this moment. :D

Sounds like my last girlfriend.

Sounds like my last girlfriend.

what, you given up?...go on...try just one more.

I never understood why people buy American fridges. All part of keeping up with the Jones's I expect.

Why not just buy 2 identical normal fridges and fit the doors on opposite ways. Put one next to the other and ...Tada ! An American fridge.

You also get more space in the fridge to because you do not get all that crappy ice maker type stuff built into the doors and what not.

It also works out at about 1/3 of the price.

It would be interesting to correlate sales of American fridges against house prices.

I never understood why people buy American fridges. All part of keeping up with the Jones's I expect.

Why not just buy 2 identical normal fridges and fit the doors on opposite ways. Put one next to the other and ...Tada ! An American fridge.

You also get more space in the fridge to because you do not get all that crappy ice maker type stuff built into the doors and what not.

It also works out at about 1/3 of the price.

It would be interesting to correlate sales of American fridges against house prices.

Quite.

Why would anyone want an American syle anything.

As you say the freezer is -1 and the fridge is ambient, this would suggest that thankfully your compressor is ok. (you are getting some refrigeration). The next thing would be a shortage of gas. This is very unlightly unless the fridge has been moved recently.

Usually poor performance on a domestic fridge/freezer can be traced to a blockage in the airway from the freezer to the fridge. Look at the bottom or top of the fridge, right at the back and you will find a hole or vent type thing. Clean all the lost peas and congealed milk from here and the chances are that your fridge will live another day.

Steve

Quite.

Why would anyone want an American syle anything.

Like your American avatar Mr Limpet! ;)

As you say the freezer is -1 and the fridge is ambient, this would suggest that thankfully your compressor is ok. (you are getting some refrigeration). The next thing would be a shortage of gas. This is very unlightly unless the fridge has been moved recently.

Usually poor performance on a domestic fridge/freezer can be traced to a blockage in the airway from the freezer to the fridge. Look at the bottom or top of the fridge, right at the back and you will find a hole or vent type thing. Clean all the lost peas and congealed milk from here and the chances are that your fridge will live another day.

Steve

Shortage of gas would lead to a warmish freezer and a rubbish fridge if it were a single compressor. Large yank double jobs generally have 2 compressors, one for the freezer and one for the fridge. Will have to see what happens.

Shortage of gas would lead to a warmish freezer and a rubbish fridge if it were a single compressor. Large yank double jobs generally have 2 compressors, one for the freezer and one for the fridge. Will have to see what happens.

But what are the chances of them both failing together?

If as you say these things are usually twin circuit systems, the op is probably correct in that it is a control pcb fault. Best disconnect the electrics and fit a couple of ranco's.

Steve

But what are the chances of them both failing together?

Steve

slim to nil.

That is why the freezer would still work whilst the fridge doesnt or vice versa.