House Price Crash Forum

Anyone Else Not Really Give A Shite About The Chile Miners "human Interest" Story

pl1

Well I've found it absolutely absorbing and riveting.

To have managed to survive in those conditions for over 2 months and show such dignity and genuine joy at being rescued I find it very difficult to be cynical. Contrast these ordinary men to the absolute scum that is our political and banking classes and it's no wonder we're in a mess.

I happened to catch some of the Apprentice earlier and it struck me just how pathetic and infantile the participants were with their childish bickering and petty point scoring. Stick those non-entities down that hole for 2 months and see how they get on.

The media coverage is way over the top but I don't think that ought to detract from the human story. (I agree all the on-site journos are an equally useless bunch of w4nkers mind you - especially that excitable grey haired one for the BBC who appears to be on coke the whole time. Silly sod).

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every year brave police officers die in the line of duty. Yet that barely merits a single piece on the news.

These people haven't died, and aren't going to die. That would be a real tragedy.

It isn't as if we're following the antics of Bruce Willis trying to blow up an asteroid and save the planet.

It isn't that the miners' lives are worthless. It's more a question of coverage priorities.

If the BBC learned that David Cameron had been caught shagging one of his office staff, the miners story would be dropped in seconds.

That, I think, is my "objection" (quotes deliberate) to the scale of the coverage of this.

A lot of strange replies on this thread IMO. I can just see a lot of people saying this story has been milked by the media as much as possible. I don't exactly see how anyone could argue with that.

Has anyone 'dissed' Chile on this thread ? Has anyone 'dissed' the miners ? Has anyone 'dissed' the engineers involved in rescuing these people ? I don' think so.

People are just getting a little bored of the media obsessing and going over the top with every 'heart rending' news story they possibly can. I would agree.

I do look back with a bit of jealousy on the very British 'matter of fact' stories of yester year.

I'm a bit unsure about this, TV are pushing this as the 'greatest story ever told'

A remarkable and organised rescue operation but '70 days in hell for the miners'?

Some things tell me different - they mostly are in good health, all look a bit too clean and some of them a bit too portly.

They were used to shifts of a few weeks under ground, they didn't work NUM 8 hour shifts, so were used to long periods living underground.

Obviously a shit scary time before contact was made with them.

They were used to shifts of a few weeks under ground, they didn't work NUM 8 hour shifts, so were used to long periods living underground.

Obviously a shit scary time before contact was made with them.

I must admit I didn't know they routinely stayed down there for weeks on end. :huh:

I must admit I didn't know they routinely stayed down there for weeks on end. :huh:

I think in Chile they mainly work 4 days on (underground), then 3 days off.

The mines are located too far away from anywhere for the men to commute in and out daily just for an 8 hour shift.

Now it must have been pretty shit. And there does appear to be long term health impacts on a few of them. And I would hate to go through it myself. However, it is not as if they were stuck in some tiny wee cave down there for 8 weeks. There were tunnels over a kilometre long apparently all over the place.

Again - not saying it would be nice or pleasant. However it is clearly not the 'stuck in a tiny cave for 8 weeks' scenario the media are portraying.

I don't care about this story at all. Have skipped the pages in the paper and avoided all TV reports. Not sure why people find it so interesting.

As far as I am concerned 'they' have used this as cover for the REAL news - i.e. the collapse of Western financial systems, Mortgage fraud, rioting in France/Greece etc etc.

It's OTT for sure. There's no news value to the story - on day one it was worked out that they were perfectly rescuable. It's in Chile. It's not that exciting. It's not news. We don't even learn anything about Chile, a country not often in the news, nothing about how the mining industry stole the lands of the indigenous peoples over the years.

Tell you what. In an act of solidarity with those indigenous people, why don’t you strip out all the copper in your house and send it back. There’s a good chance that it came from there. Post us back & tell us how you got on (or not)

Supply & demand.

If you can’t grow it, you’ve got to mine it.

Tell you what. In an act of solidarity with those indigenous people, why don’t you strip out all the copper in your house and send it back. There’s a good chance that it came from there. Post us back & tell us how you got on (or not)

Supply & demand.

If you can’t grow it, you’ve got to mine it.

I don't care about Chile at all. It could be wiped off the face of the earth and I wouldn't blink.

I don't care about Chile at all. It could be wiped off the face of the earth and I wouldn't blink.

You’re not fooling me, I can see through your cunning plan.

Wipe out Chile, a major gold producer, and the price soars.

But beware, Lex Luthor tried to do similar with California in Superman 1 and look what happened to him!

Well I've found it absolutely absorbing and riveting.

Me too, the first 17 days down there with very little food not knowing if they would ever be found, alone, abandoned wondering what the possible outcome would be must have been the worst....they are all very brave men with great faith that organised themselves well and supported each other to the end...a life changing experience. ;)

Archived