House Price Crash Forum

Anyone Else Not Really Give A Shite About The Chile Miners "human Interest" Story

pl1

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:o

******s sake. A second by second commentary. Constant chat by the expert pundits to avoid quiet moments. Bit like QVC really.

It's utterly ridiculous. Whilst I am all for a few minutes on the mine rescue it's all that's been on the news since I woke up. The voice over just said something like "now that cable can take 50 tons, so there is no suggestion that it could break, but..." What the f is that all about? Trying to inject a little excitement I guess.

The hype makes me ill. I can't decide whether the miners are patriotic or just vying for a government PR role.

As to the rescuers, the real heros, nobody gives a toss. Thank Chile, thank luck, thank "god", thank the president; yep, twas them what did it :rolleyes: .

If I thought there was any truth in that I'd be waiting for the Pen & Teller expose.

Bringing back 33 catholic men from certain death is a true miracle. Shame on the Pope and his mates for not being on site to witness a true miracle instead of pretending fairy stories from the past are miracles. I think the vatican have missed a massive pr opportunity to put a religious slant on it and clean up their image

Just my opinion but I care a lot about the safe rescue of these miners.

My son had the same reaction as the OP, he didn't give a shite about what was going on either. I had to have a few words with him pointing out that it was on the backs of men like these that the industrial revolution and subsequent technological advancement came about, allowing most people's great, great grandparents, or whoever, to crawl out of whatever hovels they were living in, work in those damn awful conditions, improving living standards generation by generation till he emerged into the comparatively privileged lifestyle he now has. That is what these miners represent to me.

I truly hope each and every one of them comes through this horrible ordeal safely.

Just my opinion but I care a lot about the safe rescue of these miners.

My son had the same reaction as the OP, he didn't give a shite about what was going on either. I had to have a few words with him pointing out that it was on the backs of men like these that the industrial revolution and subsequent technological advancement came about, allowing most people's great, great grandparents, or whoever, to crawl out of whatever hovels they were living in, work in those damn awful conditions, improving living standards generation by generation till he emerged into the comparatively privileged lifestyle he now has. That is what these miners represent to me.

I truly hope each and every one of them comes through this horrible ordeal safely.

Good for you. I care, to the extent I can for people I don't know personally but I won't get engaged in the media circus surrounding it. Worse accidents go pretty much unreported, the human interest here is that they actually survived and the President seems to be milking it.

By way of comparison, when the BP oil leak was going on I asked my niece if she was concerned about it and she brushed it aside as some boring news that doesn't affect her.

Anyway, it's good to care to an extent.

Good for you. I care, to the extent I can for people I don't know personally but I won't get engaged in the media circus surrounding it. Worse accidents go pretty much unreported, the human interest here is that they actually survived and the President seems to be milking it.

By way of comparison, when the BP oil leak was going on I asked my niece if she was concerned about it and she brushed it aside as some boring news that doesn't affect her.

Anyway, it's good to care to an extent.

Bloody human race. Even those situations with the greatest capacity to be heart-warming, humans turn into vulgar, tacky crap.

Bringing back 33 catholic men from certain death is a true miracle. Shame on the Pope and his mates for not being on site to witness a true miracle instead of pretending fairy stories from the past are miracles. I think the vatican have missed a massive pr opportunity to put a religious slant on it and clean up their image

...and they coulld lower 33 paedophiles down into the cavern. Why waste the downward journey?

...and they coulld lower 33 paedophiles down into the cavern. Why waste the downward journey?

better still use paedo priests as a counterweight, thus saving miners and energy / the planet at the same time. Have we got it going on here or what?

There's some bloke called "Johnny Barrios" coming up. Apparently each miner can name three people that they can meet at the summit. This chap decides to "invite" his Wife and his Mistress. His wife stormed off once she heard his mistress crying out his name... His mistress then stormed off..

Just had a look at CNN, it's saturated with the story. It really is their Ace In The Hole. Or they want it to be. Once this light news period is over, the world media will forget about Chile, almost as quickly as they arrived. I'll bump this thread in a few weeks or months and we'll see.

Media feeding frenzy as I guessed. I mean these miners well.

If every major country (lets say 100) in the world had 3 news channels and 3 international newspapers, 3 people each from each station/paper that's 1800 people descending into Chile.

---

I was close, 2000 is the estimated number http://blogs.pressgazette.co.uk/wire/7072

56 will be from the BBC.

It's OTT for sure. There's no news value to the story - on day one it was worked out that they were perfectly rescuable. It's in Chile. It's not that exciting. It's not news. We don't even learn anything about Chile, a country not often in the news, nothing about how the mining industry stole the lands of the indigenous peoples over the years.

It's OTT for sure. There's no news value to the story - on day one it was worked out that they were perfectly rescuable. It's in Chile. It's not that exciting. It's not news. We don't even learn anything about Chile, a country not often in the news, nothing about how the mining industry stole the lands of the indigenous peoples over the years.

Indeed..Good luck to 'um..but it's been running almost 24 hours non-stop on Sky News. I wouldn't be bluddy surprised to see Cheryl Cole pop out of the hole in a minute...

Not sure its OTT. Its a world record ground breaking mine rescue. They have achieved the impossible. I am trained in mines rescue. The UK nor anywhere else in the world could never have pulled this rescue off yet you diss Chile for doing the impossible. I get the distinct impression that you are a complete non achiever in life and will remain so. Sad really.:(

The outcome will turn into a blockbuster film.

Probably. After all, there appears to be no end to the amount of times people want to see what is essentially the same movie.

Wiki makes it >500. Some in the list I would not class in the same category as the quintessential "Towering Inferno", but nonetheless, I feel we can consider this plot largely milked. There are even two there called "Cave In" - with added exclamation mark for good measure.

Not sure its OTT. Its a world record ground breaking mine rescue. They have achieved the impossible. I am trained in mines rescue. The UK nor anywhere else in the world could never have pulled this rescue off yet you diss Chile for doing the impossible. I get the distinct impression that you are a complete non achiever in life and will remain so. Sad really.:(

+2 It is so sad that there are so many sad assholes.

Archived