House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Charlie The Tramp Returns

A Brit Has Won The Whole £112 Million Euro Lottery Jackpot

I really hope it wasn't my team at work! I'll be blushing on Monday.

I calculated their chances of winning back more money than they spent on tickets for them and kept my money in my pocket.

Good teacher of mine always called the lottery a "tax on stupidity".

What's the frikkin point of giving £122m to one person?

Why not make 122 people millionaires? Wouldn't they sell more tickets?

well, tbh £112m is too much money! I'd be totally lost with all of that money and scared to leave the house, even if the grounds were the same size as Wales!

The Queen would not agree! :ph34r:

I don't know! Maybe the Queen does? :ph34r:

I really hope it wasn't my team at work! I'll be blushing on Monday.

I calculated their chances of winning back more money than they spent on tickets for them and kept my money in my pocket.

Good teacher of mine always called the lottery a "tax on stupidity".

This presupposes at least one of:

(1) you chose your numbers at random

(2) everyone else choses their numbers at random

You shouldn't and they don't. I forget the exact citation, but a few years ago I read a report about an anlaysis done by a statistician that showed that certain sets of numbers were likely to have positive returns in the UK lottery. People, for instance, avoided numbers ending in 0, and the number 38. Because the returns are based on diving up prize pools, many sets of numbers had expected returns as high as 2 to 1 (but obviously the distribution was highly skewed.)

Seems like your math teacher (and many others) isn't quite as clever as he thinks he is.

Of course, for many (most!) people, the sets of numbers they chose (often based on birthdays etc., and hence weighted towards the lower numbers) will do slightly worse than the average for precisely the same reason. As an extreme case, the smart alecs who chose 1,2,3,4,5,6 will be sharing the jackpot when their numbers turn up with about 100,000 other people who think that they too are clever individuals. So, one could think of the lottery as a tax on the stupid, but an opportunity for the not so stupid.

Of course we haven't even begun to discuss the marginal utility of money. Sometimes £10 can have more than 10x the utility of £1.

Lottery officials are still waiting to make a lucky British jackpot winner an instant multi-millionaire with a fortune to match rock stars.

High street banks are offering 2.75% on standard savings accounts at the moment and this would net the winner £8,500 a day in interest alone.

Yeah, but in real terms losing money hand over fist.

Yeah, but in real terms losing money hand over fist.

I'm sure that's all they are thinking about as they frantically search for the ticket.

Why not make 122 people millionaires? Wouldn't they sell more tickets?

Other lotteries are available ;)

If you fancy a real long-odds gamble why not buy a couple of BTL's?

It might be possible to acquire the Wilsons' portfolio in its entirety. Back in March Fergus was saying that 'the difference between his borrowings and the value of his properties "is around £180m, although it was as high as £225m"'. Maybe they'd accept cash for a quick sale.