House Price Crash Forum
TheCountOfNowhere

What Reaction Have You Had To The Halifax 3.4 Drop?

Being abroad at the mo I cant guage much what the feeling in the UK is in the aftermath of yesterdays good news, i.e. the 4% ( i like to round it up ) Halifax index drop (hang on....:lol::lol::lol:, it does that to me ) ?

The countess stated...I knew you were right all along, I knew prices were too high and would plummet.

She wasn't saying that 3 months ago though !!!

Any other reaction from the UK to brighten up my Jet Lagged internet surfing ?

Got a txt message from my mother saying I was spot on with every prediction over the past year. She has always believed everything I have said except for the houseprice crash scenario. Colleagues at work are starting to admit I was right. In-laws who previously said prices only ever go up are starting to believe. Everyone.

Gold, ftse bulls/bears, silver, property, mortgage approvals, elections. Everything.

99% of it came from this site (:

The tide has well and truly turned guys, it won't be long now.

Edited by fadeaway

3.4%? has it been revised up?

Sorry can't type properly for laughing :lol:

Just call it a round 4%, the BBC would, if it was up !!! :lol:

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

Got a txt message from my mother saying I was spot on with every prediction over the past year. She has always believed everything I have said except for the houseprice crash scenario. Colleagues at work are starting to admit I was right. In-laws who previously said prices only ever go up are starting to believe. Everyone.

Gold, ftse bulls/bears, silver, property, mortgage approvals, elections. Everything.

99% of it came from this site (:

The tide has well and truly turned guys, it won't be long now.

seems you are fortunate not to have come across it in 2003, your colleagues would be calling you a right RealistBear

Edited by Tamara De Lempicka

I don't understand that post. I found the site in 2003 but I already thought prices would fall since 2001-2002. Does that make me a realist bear?

Anyhow, ordinary people are now finally waking up that the cost of living is rising, pay is being squeezed, and the things they thought were 'normal' over the last 10 years or so were the result of a truly ******ed up bubble of an economy built on irresponsible lending and greed. This is finally getting threough that house prices were all part of it and they too need to adjust to normality - to affordable levels for the FTB or those wanting to just trade up. It'll be painful and I think we are now here and it won't be quick.

I mentioned it to a few guys who hadn't heard the news.

Media had a shocker on this yesterday, should have been much more widely discussed.

Edited by Kyoto

I mentioned it to a few guys who hadn't heard the news.

Media had a shocker on this yesterday, should have been much more widely discussed.

It was massively overlooked on the rolling news channels - I channel hopped between News 24 + Sky News for a good hour (yes I know, sad b@stard) before Sky gave it around 45 seconds of airtime. Nowt on the BBC, they were too busy masturbating into a frenzy over the shadow cabinet.

seems you are fortunate not to have come across it in 2003, your colleagues would be calling you a right RealistBear

In 2003 I believe I was taking my GCSEs without a care in the world (: It wasn't even until 2007 that my politics teacher at A level inspired a lifelong passion for foreign politics. I only became interested in British politics and the economy in 2009. I like to think I'm one of the more clued up young sheeple, thanks to this website and it's regular posters. <3

It's a weird feeling. The media are definitely trying to ignore it. Scumbags! So I'm feeling personal joy! but in a sad "on my own, except for HPCers" type way. No media storm anywhere to make it feel as big as it actually is.

The real test will be if the next months numbers are negative too, and then when the year on year figures go negative. No one can ignore it then.

Being abroad at the mo I cant guage much what the feeling in the UK is in the aftermath of yesterdays good news, i.e. the 4% ( i like to round it up ) Halifax index drop (hang on....:lol::lol::lol:, it does that to me ) ?

The countess stated...I knew you were right all along, I knew prices were too high and would plummet.

She wasn't saying that 3 months ago though !!!

Any other reaction from the UK to brighten up my Jet Lagged internet surfing ?

An absolute conversation killer !!!

When I proudly proclaim I rent, the reaction is still one of "why don't you buy, surely it's a good time ??!?"

Maybe it'll be a better time to buy in a couple of years ?? ;)

"Maybe.......funny....mortgage company won't give me another self cert . Annoying, they're happy to take my dosh !"

It's a weird feeling. The media are definitely trying to ignore it. Scumbags! So I'm feeling personal joy! but in a sad "on my own, except for HPCers" type way. No media storm anywhere to make it feel as big as it actually is.

Yes but what is recognition compared to knowing that no matter how much bullsh*t TPTB and VIs throw at you, you are the master of your own life. You've got your brain, and you know that if you use it you can do anything you like. Nothing compares to that, it's like being free in a nation of slaves.

In 2003 I believe I was taking my GCSEs without a care in the world (: It wasn't even until 2007 that my politics teacher at A level inspired a lifelong passion for foreign politics. I only became interested in British politics and the economy in 2009. I like to think I'm one of the more clued up young sheeple, thanks to this website and it's regular posters. <3

you're most definitely not one of the sheeple if you're here on hpc :lol:

but you're right, most young people have ****** all of a clue as to whats really going on

Yes but what is recognition compared to knowing that no matter how much bullsh*t TPTB and VIs throw at you, you are the master of your own life. You've got your brain, and you know that if you use it you can do anything you like. Nothing compares to that, it's like being free in a nation of slaves.

You're absolutely right.

But it really has been a lonely path to follow these past few years. HPC.co.uk has been brilliant for linking up the few of us that actually think for ourselves.

Well I popped a few bottles of ... fizzy Rose wine tonight, the young lady I was drinking them with was also very pleased with the news.

Other FTBs I know are all smily and happy however I haven't spoken to any boomers yet, they're likely to try and get me hung, drawn and quatered for saying blasphemous such as 'house prices have fallen' ...

The reaction was muted from my other half and then the average 3 month rate was thrown back at me.

Then I showed her the 25 houses have been put up for sale in our postcode in the last 24 hours and another load relisted with drops whereas this time last year it was nil new and nil drops. All in that well known busy time in house sales of mid October.

:D

Well I popped a few bottles of ... fizzy Rose wine tonight, the young lady I was drinking them with was also very pleased with the news.

Other FTBs I know are all smily and happy however I haven't spoken to any boomers yet, they're likely to try and get me hung, drawn and quatered for saying blasphemous such as 'house prices have fallen' ...

yeah..they are all going to pile in now things are so CHEAP..

An absolute conversation killer !!!

When I proudly proclaim I rent, the reaction is still one of "why don't you buy, surely it's a good time ??!?"

Maybe it'll be a better time to buy in a couple of years ?? ;)

"Maybe.......funny....mortgage company won't give me another self cert . Annoying, they're happy to take my dosh !"

:D:D Maybe you can find a bent, corrupt, sleazy sh*t-bag "Mortgage Broker" to give you a massive

LIAR LOAN

so that you could "afford" to buy into the World's Greatest Ever Ponzi/Pyramid Scam - the UK "Housing Market".... :D:rolleyes: ...

.... [No! You don't say!! :rolleyes: ]

Missus gave a cheer which I'm sure even the neighbours could hear. Has started looking at houses again though so I'm not sure she's quite got the message.

A small note of caution perhaps required though - if the Halifax index (being a tad chaotic) goes up next month by 2% how will you break the news?

Missus gave a cheer which I'm sure even the neighbours could hear. Has started looking at houses again though so I'm not sure she's quite got the message.

A small note of caution perhaps required though - if the Halifax index (being a tad chaotic) goes up next month by 2% how will you break the news?

:) I can't see it rising soon, this week marked a turning point on the charts IMHO. have been banging on about this since 2002 and most people has just ignored my rants.

It is good news for rationality and common sense but the sentiment is so entrenched it'll take months (if not longer) for this to become accepted.

Just how much of the industry depending on housing is scary, financially and supply of materials. We are living through a period that will go down in history as how not to run an economy and spend our money.