House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

Newport Passport Office Is Facing The Axe

Breaking news on the BBC.

Now that you have to go for a face to face interview I wonder how far people in South Wales will have to travel to get a passport... or maybe we ain't going to be allowed to have one!? :blink: Or maybe the Tories are going to stop the need to be interviewed for a passport?

How many to go across the UK?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-11503599

Newport passport office is facing the axe

The passport office in Newport is set to close with the loss of more than 250 jobs.

The Public and Commercial Services Union (PCS) said the move would have a "devastating" impact on the local economy.

There are also fears passport interview offices in Swansea, Wrexham, Newport and Aberystwyth could close.

The Identity and Passport Service (IPS) confirmed it was consulting on closing the Newport office.

Continue reading the main story

Related stories

The PCS Union said: "The closure of the Newport Office will leave Wales with a vastly inferior service to the rest of the UK.

"It will devastate the local economy and lead to untold hardship for those who lose their jobs.

"There is no excuse for this - PCS believes that ordinary working people in south Wales should not be made to pay for the crisis and that the Government should invest in jobs rather than attack jobs and services."

The passport office at Newport opened in 1967. It is one of seven passport offices in the UK but the only one believed to be closing.

There have already been some cutbacks among civil servants in Wales.

IPS chief executive Sarah Rapson said: "It is never pleasant to implement changes which means jobs are lost, but IPS is taking these steps to ensure it makes the best possible use of taxpayers' money.

"It is with great regret and reluctance that we are consulting on closing our Newport office.

"But by improving efficiency in the passport application processing network, IPS can be smaller and still deliver good customer service and a secure, internationally respected passport without additional funding from the taxpayer."

Staff at Companies House in Cardiff are facing cuts of 11% this financial year with savings of £6m being made but managers have said they believed they could make the savings without compulsory redundancies.

There are more than 30,000 civil servants in Wales. That includes the DVLA in Swansea where more than 5,000 people work and the Office of National Statistics in Newport where 1500 people are employed.

Edited by The Masked Tulip

Now that you have to go for a face to face interview I wonder how far people in South Wales will have to travel to get a passport... or maybe we ain't going to be allowed to have one!? :blink: Or maybe the Tories are going to stop the need to be interviewed for a passport?

You don't necessarily have to. Colleague of mine hadn't had a valid passport for about 30 years, but got one only a couple of weeks ago simply by filling in forms.

You don't necessarily have to. Colleague of mine hadn't had a valid passport for about 30 years, but got one only a couple of weeks ago simply by filling in forms.

So what was all that stuff in the Press over the last few years about having to go for interviews? More Labour spin and waste of our cash I bet!?

I don't know whether it was announced or leaked to the Press but apparently they are going to send a letter to staff informing them.

Jolly good - let everyone else know before the staff do! Great way to treat people. Big redundancy payments all round I guess.

All of these public sector jobs were created in Wales to mitigate the effect of the 1980s recession but the majority of them are "non-jobs" and we can't afford to pay redundant coal miners and steel workers this glorified dole money any more.

So what was all that stuff in the Press over the last few years about having to go for interviews? More Labour spin and waste of our cash I bet!?

I dare say some people will have to. My colleague was initially told she might have to, and was hacked off about that, to put it mildly. She was working herself right up about maybe being interviewed by someone who (unlike her) wasn't born here, and was wondering how she'd stop herself saying something, er, 'unhelpful'.

Like, 'WHAT THE HELL GIVES YOU THE RIGHT TO QUESTION ME ABOUT MY RIGHT TO A BRITISH PASSPORT?!!!'

Just as well it was merely a case of filling in forms. The only thing that hacked her off in the end was the 'horror film' photo. :P

All of these public sector jobs were created in Wales to mitigate the effect of the 1980s recession but the majority of them are "non-jobs" and we can't afford to pay redundant coal miners and steel workers this glorified dole money any more.

Not when b(w)ankers can p*ss the money up a wall much more effectively and in a more stylish and lavish manner.

How many times have we heard the unions say every time there's job cuts announced, that government should be hiring people to "invest in the economy". They are morons! It doesn't work like that. We have no money! And a huge deficit

Her Britannic Majesty's Secretary of State Requests and requires in the Name of Her Majesty all those whom it may concern to allow the bearer to pass freely without let or hindrance, and to afford the bearer such assistance and protection as may be necessary.

Now that you have to go for a face to face interview I wonder how far people in South Wales will have to travel to get a passport... or maybe we ain't going to be allowed to have one!?  :blink: Or maybe the Tories are going to stop the need to be interviewed for a passport?

http://www.bbc.co.uk...-wales-11503599

So not content with charing a toll for entering Wales, they'll be putting up a Berlin Wall across the Severn Bridge

Two lands at last connected

Across the waters wide,

And all the tolls collected

On the English side.

I dare say some people will have to. My colleague was initially told she might have to, and was hacked off about that, to put it mildly. She was working herself right up about maybe being interviewed by someone who (unlike her) wasn't born here, and was wondering how she'd stop herself saying something, er, 'unhelpful'.

Like, 'WHAT THE HELL GIVES YOU THE RIGHT TO QUESTION ME ABOUT MY RIGHT TO A BRITISH PASSPORT?!!!'

Just as well it was merely a case of filling in forms. The only thing that hacked her off in the end was the 'horror film' photo. :P

Wonder if they'd be speaking to you in your native tongue or welsh? :unsure:

Interesting isn't it that they sack people late on a Friday afternoon - BBC Wales is struggling to cover the story on their bulletin now it seems. I guess the news leaked early.

You know, I have read numerous times that HR depts are advised never to fire people on a Friday as apparently there is a sizeable percentage of people who go home, think about losing their job over the weekend, have no one to share it with and hence they top themselves.

Apparently firing people on a Tues or Wed is preferable as it allows people to have human interaction and to talk through thoughts with others who have been fired.

Good to see that the public sector well-paid HR people are up to speed on this :(

Only first time adult applicants were ever invited to interview - not renewals ,not people changing from child passports - was aimed at immigrants and new passport applicants - areas identified as the 2 highest fraud risks

Maybe they're planning to close all offices eventually and you can then conduct your interview by video over Skype directly with David Cameron and Nick Clegg...