House Price Crash Forum
timebandit

Time For Hpc Volunteers

Mods please could we leave in the HPATE section before moving or even better a sticky.

Thanks

I get fed up with phone ins where the guests are dominated with estate agents.

It must be time for the site owners, mods and us to find a media team to put forward our VI.

A snapshot below shows the interest on the topic during J Vine radio 2 property phone in today.

We must have the talent on this forum for phone ins and media articles, where the media have a point of contact.

The grammar and spelling in my post demonstrate, my skills lie in ticking green and red arrows.

However willing to do all I can support the new HPC media team.

211 User(s) are reading this topic

61 members, 149 guests, 1 anonymous users

1. timebandit, 2. mel in w9, 3. HertsBob, 4. spiney, 5. THE L4 KID, 6. GordonBrownSpentMyFuture, 7. pyracantha, 8. nightsod, 9. lotus7, 10. Harry Monk, 11. CHICHESTER WAITING ROOM, 12. Branigan, 13. butterfly, 14. Tired of Waiting, 15. Cozza, 16. Kyoto, 17. Redcellar, 18. cool_hand, 19. Brave New World, 20. guitarman001, 21. ant1980, 22. sukuinage, 23. GBdamo, 24. buckers, 25. Riedquat, 26. RentingForever, 27. Timak, 28. PupTrumpet, 29. mitchbux, 30. yellerkat, 31. gravity always wins, 32. billybong, 33. ratatat, 34. Caveat Mortgagor, 35. red, 36. neon tetra, 37. Flaps, 38. Fudge, 39. Abstra, 40. satch, 41. leicestersq, 42. Roseland69, 43. Roman Roady, 44. Custard Insurance, 45. tennaval, 46. plb, 47. waferthin, 48. Umaguma, 49. stew007, 50. Muswell Hillbilly, 51. waitingscot, 52. Bristol Dylan, 53. Spoony, 54. AskFrank, 55. pasquino, 56. dances with sheeple, 57. ginnie, 58. gavd, 59. kirsty, 60. Lambie, 61. SomethingHasToGive

PS

Really impressed with Red/Chris on the phone in putting a different and not often voiced slant on our agenda.

If you are on the above list or anonymous readers and have not introduced yourselves to this site, it must be time.

Future genrations will ask what did you do to make a home more affordable.

Edited by timebandit

I agree completely with your sentiments, and kudos to you for making the suggestion.

But for me there is a whole world of dfference between having the chance to sneak a glimpse at this site on one of the tabs of my computer during a quiet moment at work, and having the opportunity to spend time on hold on the phone to make a 15 sec call that will get cut short.

However, i think Ive done a bit for the cause. I have converted most of the people around me. I am lucky that my wife is completely on board. Additionally, over the last few years I've converted the mother in law. You wouldnt believe how many times I heard "What are you getting married for? You should be buying a house etc " She now grumbles about how expensive property is and exasperatedly asks "how can people afford to buy?"

On top of that, I carefully presented a few facts last summer which meant the brother in law decided aginst buying. He readily accepts that the asking price of the houses he was looking at are now reduced by the equivalent of his annual salary!

I hadnt really thought about it that much, but i obviously express my views strongly to everyone I meet. When we got married earlier this year, my best man (I havent got through to him yet) made reference to the fact that I refuse to buy a house. About 18 months ago I said he was crazy for refusing an offer on his former house on advice from his agent. Apparently the agent wouldn't let him sell for that price as it would besmirch his reputation and tarnish the local area. The house later sold for £7k less! Still cant get through to the bloke - Classic denial!

Edited by Caveat Mortgagor

The owners of this site must make money from advertising.

Why don't they take out some full page ads in newspapers (e.g. Daily Express) with views on housing written by people on here and stick a reference to this site "read more at housepricecrash.co.uk."

The owners of this site must make money from advertising.

Why don't they take out some full page ads in newspapers (e.g. Daily Express) with views on housing written by people on here and stick a reference to this site "read more at housepricecrash.co.uk."

I doubt the Daily Express would accept such an ad.

I doubt the Daily Express would accept such an ad.

An ad is revenue for them though and might slip through the editorial net. I particularly mentioned the Daily Express as you would be very unlikely to get a similar actual property article in there.

If it was printed it would be nice to think of them choking over their cornflakes.

Isn't there any underemployed copywriter on this site or would-be moonlighter?

Also, any CNBC-like good looking bird (FP didn't have what it takes to get the message across)?

If one or two people were prepared to play these roles, would others be prepared to contribute financially to make the jobs more palatable?

I think we need to lend our support more to / join forces with "Priced Out".

Their appearance on Channel Four News yesterday suggested to me that they have the contacts or at least the profile to get air time. With sentiment changing it may be the only way to build momentum and speak with a single voice. Also, "Priced Out" sounds a bit more sympathetic in the MSM compared with "House Price Crash". We need that on our side.

Edited by GordonBrownSpentMyFuture

I was impressed with how JD recently identified a Chartered Surveyor on Radio 5 Live as also being an Estate Agent. Nolan was surprised and asked him if it were true. He said yes and that most of them are.

Sadly, we never get to know who the VI guest is until the "discussion" starts but the moment we do we should hit Google and combine research. Imagine if red/Chris had called Vine on Radio 2 today armed with the knowledge that the "expert" VI guest had been on an estate agent website just 30 minutes before asking "What on earth am I going to say??? Hope you are still selling."

We need to expose these VIs for what they are. This guy trashed the Halifax report, largely unchallenged (Vine is hardly Paxman), and can read tea leaves no better than the rest of us, yet he was given considerably more air time and credence.

"Barber says now is a good time to get a hair cut."

Disgraceful.

It's actually a lot less difficult than people think. I work for a charity organisation and developed their media strategy on a budget of zero. I send out press releases once a month that are picked up by at least three media each time.

What's needed is for someone to trawl through the websites of MSM outlets and gather email contact details - as many as possible. Then, when Halifax, Nationwide etc release their monthly stats, HPC puts out a formal press release stating their take on the figures. This can be as brief as 250 words. It needs laying out in something like Microsoft Publisher so it appears in the body of an email and not an attachment (so more chance to be read). At the bottom needs to be a contact name and telephone number who media folk can get back to for further comment.

Making it look professional, no typos and consistency with the contact details will build the HPC brand. After a few such releases these will be noticed as an alternative comment on the issue of house prices.

Also, any CNBC-like good looking bird (FP didn't have what it takes to get the message across)?

Well, young Katy is quite easy on the eye, I thought. ;)

How do you think they pay for the hosting costs?

Going off at a slight tangent, I have noticed that the ad at the top of my page is currently for South-West Trains, just as I am seeing on the news that train fares are expected to leap by at least 5.8% but probably nearer 10%.

i'd love to, but if people worry that FP sometimes loses his rags and starts ranting - you've not heard me in full flight...

I write to the papers on a fairly regular basis but don't do the phone thing :)

It's actually a lot less difficult than people think. I work for a charity organisation and developed their media strategy on a budget of zero. I send out press releases once a month that are picked up by at least three media each time.

What's needed is for someone to trawl through the websites of MSM outlets and gather email contact details - as many as possible. Then, when Halifax, Nationwide etc release their monthly stats, HPC puts out a formal press release stating their take on the figures. This can be as brief as 250 words. It needs laying out in something like Microsoft Publisher so it appears in the body of an email and not an attachment (so more chance to be read). At the bottom needs to be a contact name and telephone number who media folk can get back to for further comment.

Making it look professional, no typos and consistency with the contact details will build the HPC brand. After a few such releases these will be noticed as an alternative comment on the issue of house prices.

I like this idea.

Maybe JD could come back as spokesman now things are kicking off? He used to be introduced as from house price crash.co.uk so some of this sort of thing must have been done before?

We need spin to deal with the negative impression created by the site’s title. HPC is too negative in the eyes of too many meaning we’ll trail “Priced out” when trying to gain traction with the MSM.

Martin Lewis’s position is a possible example of what can be achieved with the use of web exposure to gain the ear of the MSM.

We’d need someone who’s able to avoid being seen as a crank and also who’d be able to communicate the logic of HPC whilst being telegenic. A Bruno styled HPC channel on you tube could be a start. With a few documentary style vids which should have some kind of hook to gain web traction we’d be away. A good start would be to look at the kinds of people who’d be the first to see the benefits of lower housing costs, and luckily they are the same group who use the web most.

We’d need someone who’s able to avoid being seen as a crank and also who’d be able to communicate the logic of HPC whilst being telegenic. A Bruno styled HPC channel on you tube could be a start. With a few documentary style vids which should have some kind of hook to gain web traction we’d be away. A good start would be to look at the kinds of people who’d be the first to see the benefits of lower housing costs, and luckily they are the same group who use the web most.

Well, I have seen Katy John from http://pricedout.org.uk/ on TV twice now, the recent thing and the other show about a year ago with Jonathan Maitland and that bloke off Dragon's Den, the one that FP was on, and she is intelligent, articulate and attractive and belongs to the group most badly affected by HPI (I guess she is mid 20's).

I couldn't think of a better public face for our combined cause, I will try to find some footage of her being interviewed but if anyone else can dig some up then please do.

Edited by Harry Monk

We need spin to deal with the negative impression created by the site’s title. HPC is too negative in the eyes of too many meaning we’ll trail “Priced out” when trying to gain traction with the MSM.

Martin Lewis’s position is a possible example of what can be achieved with the use of web exposure to gain the ear of the MSM.

Absolutely! I think we should actually ask Martin himself. He loves a bargain. Lower prices are good, non?

ml-thumb-spin2.gif

Well, I have seen Katy John from http://pricedout.org.uk/ on TV twice now, the recent thing and the other show about a year ago with Jonathan Maitland and that bloke off Dragon's Den, the one that FP was on, and she is intelligent, articulate and attractive and belongs to the group most badly affected by HPI (I guess she is mid 20's).

I couldn't think of a better public face for our combined cause, I will try to find some footage of her being interviewed but if anyone else can dig some up then please do.

I've just been to their site and saw this. Perhaps someone should tell them to come here and do a bit of a fundraiser.

A total of £70 has been collected since 1st July 2007! Thanks to our members for their generous donations.

Someone from that site was on C4 News last night.

Great ideas from everyone and demonstrates the undervalued genepool we have.

We have a fantastic army of foot soldiers here for collating and dissecting information, however we fail to get our message out to the media.

Fubra and Mods thank you for leaving this topic on HPATE. We need your help and permission to become more media savvy.

Do we need a media team?

Do we need to send an olive branch to J.D?

Do we need a HPC donation link for campaigns funding?

Do we have any qualified unpaid volunteers willing to help if we can get a media team off the ground?

Rantwave welcome to the site, good comments including your post on the EA website.

As recommended I have just joined priced out, paypal donation link down- email sent to Katy.

Let's not miss this opportunity to get our message out to the wider audience.

Edited by timebandit

Great ideas from everyone and demonstrates the undervalued genepool we have.

We have a fantastic army of foot soldiers here for collating and dissecting information, however we fail to get our message out to the media.

Fubra and Mods thank you for leaving this topic on HPATE. We need your help and permission to become more media savvy.

Do we need a media team?

Do we need to send an olive branch to J.D?

Do we need a HPC donation link for campaigns funding?

Do we have any qualified unpaid volunteers willing to help if we can get a media team off the ground?

Rantwave welcome to the site, good comments including your post on the EA website.

As recommended I have just joined priced out, paypal donation link down- email sent to Katy.

Let's not miss this opportunity to get our message out to the wider audience.

Couldn't agree more Timebandit. -3.6%. This is the moment from which we should build momentum! The bull trap is over with a jolt. Next up it's fear and capitulation. If the MSM and VIs get their way it'll take 20 years for this wide spread fraud to unravel - by then they'll be retiring and living off the fat of their ill-gotten gains. Personally, I don't want to wait that long!

As individuals, citizens and tax-payers we need to join forces and help fund and promote the good work that "Priced Out" have already achieved. JD / FP has done a great job and I'm sure will continue to do so but he's introduced as a financial advisor and therefore a VI whether he is or not.

"Priced Out" is the face of an entire generation of 20 and 30 somethings right across the country and from all walks of life. They need our support - financial or otherwise.

I propose that we continue to use this thread as a way of sharing information, resources and promotion.

There's a whole industry looking to support high house prices. There is no one in the media looking out for the interests of FTBs other than "Priced Out" - and as I say, their name is a little more sympathetic than the one here at HPC.

"House Price Crash" is what we want. "Priced Out" is who we are.