• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11499638

Don't think he's up to it, Tories will be happy I should think

Johnson is not up the calibre required of shadow chancellor atall. Neither is Balls up to being home secretary. His wife (Yvette Cooper) is the better speaker, but uses so many false premises to make her point, it is hard to imagine her dealing with any foreign policy issue.

Edited by plummet expert

HOLA444

Johnson is not up the calibre required of shadow chancellor atall. Neither is Balls up to being home secretary. His wife (Yvette Cooper) is the better speaker, but uses so many false premises to make her point, it is hard to imagine her dealing with any foreign policy issue.

I s'pose the idea is Johnson will say nice things and be personable (which is true) and people like a bit of steel in the home secretary. Dunno much about Cooper. However I think this is all going to fall apart in the white heat of any election campaign. Balls can ******** the numbers, but I don't think Johnson will be able to. The problem is they elected the wrong Miliband and he doesn't have the necessary support within the cabinet, party or country.

Edited by FaFa!

HOLA445

Out of Balls, Cooper and Johnson, Johnson is the best choice for Shadow Chancellor in my opinion.

That's not he's a GOOD choice; just better than the other two... :)

Balls and Cooper should've been given jobs like 'Minister in Charge of Making Alan Johnson a Sandwich' instead of big, grown-up jobs like 'Shadow Home Secretary', but hey.

Hague vs. Cooper could be fun, though.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

That's not he's a GOOD choice; just better than the other two... :)

Looks like you are not the only one who sees the lack of talent in the Labour Party

Earlier, a senior MP warned that a third of the newly elected shadow cabinet would be “incapable”. Jack Straw, the former justice secretary, predicted that “half a dozen” would not be up to the task of serving in government.

He described the system under which Labour MPs elect the shadow cabinet as “daft” and “barking mad”.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/ed-miliband/8050607/Alan-Johnson-shadow-chancellor-in-Ed-Miliband-cabinet.html

Only sensible thing Straw has said in years

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I think Ed Miliband's done very well so far. He's moved extremely quickly to put his own stamp on the party and seems very sure of himself. Certainly not panicking like William Hague did in 1997 when he picked Cecil Parkinson :lol: as his deputy.

Labour are already ahead in most polls.

He's ditched most of Labour's unpopular baggage.

He's had some very well received media appearances.

Alan Johnson is by far the best choice to counter George Osborne and it also helps nullify claims of a lurch to the left. Ed Balls should duff up Thersea May as he has with Michael Gove.

If you ignore the predictable sour grapes from the remaining uber Blairites then I can't see how it could have gone better for him since taking over.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

...is it Joey Jones on Sky ...?...pontificating about how Red Ed was calming any family squabble by not appointing Balls Ed or his wife as Chancellor.....the real reason ...for Sky's information ...is the prospect of two people who both worked for Brown at the Treasury ..either would have been a joke...at least REd avoided that pot-hole..... :rolleyes:

HOLA4418

Neither is Balls up to being home secretary. His wife (Yvette Cooper) is the better speaker, but uses so many false premises to make her point, it is hard to imagine her dealing with any foreign policy issue.

Balls and Cooper are far too tribal to ever have the good of the country as their main objective. They'll always prefer a politicla fight over doing what's right

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Am I the only one who thinks Chancellors should know something about Economics (eg Cooper & Balls). Neither the Tories or Labour seem to think this matters.

I read an article recently arguing that politicinas with an economic background have generally made the worst Chancellors because they don't see the broader picture. Although Gordon Brown is an obvious exception.

HOLA4423

I think Ed Miliband's done very well so far. He's moved extremely quickly to put his own stamp on the party and seems very sure of himself. Certainly not panicking like William Hague did in 1997 when he picked Cecil Parkinson :lol: as his deputy.

Labour are already ahead in most polls.

He's ditched most of Labour's unpopular baggage.

He's had some very well received media appearances.

Alan Johnson is by far the best choice to counter George Osborne and it also helps nullify claims of a lurch to the left. Ed Balls should duff up Thersea May as he has with Michael Gove.

If you ignore the predictable sour grapes from the remaining uber Blairites then I can't see how it could have gone better for him since taking over.

Yeah Ed's done really well - Nu Labour apparatchik who stabbed his own brother and all his former colleagues in the back in order to get the left wing union vote.

Now he will stab the unions in the back and go for the middle class vote - because Labours core voters would elect Adolf Hitlers reanimated corpse if it had a red rosette pinned to it.

If the coalition could have chosen any scenario guaranteed to destroy Labour - this would have been it

Awesome!

:blink:

HOLA4424

Cooper and Balls know something about economics?!

Man, they've been hiding that well! :D

Do you honestly believe that what Balls and Brown did to the economy was an accident? They knew exactly what they were doing -- create a huge bubble in the property market, massively expand gov't spending through debt, then claim that the economy is booming due to their brilliant economic management, despite the whole thing being a short-termist fraud based on a massive expansion of debt. Hard to argue that it didn't work as it kept Labour in power for 13 years. They're still making the same argument (borrow, borrow and borrow some more) and it appears to be putting then back in lead in the polls. Future generations will always be out-voted in a democracy.

Edited by RichC

HOLA4425

Am I the only one who thinks Chancellors should know something about Economics (eg Cooper & Balls). Neither the Tories or Labour seem to think this matters.

.....Cooper and Balls were both serving the Treasury as they destroyed the country .....Economics is an art ...not a science ....and these two don't have it....they may be academics ....but let's face it ...running the country is real life .... :rolleyes: