House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Portent

Young Priced Off Housing Market

Young people in Wales are finding it increasingly difficult to get a foothold in the housing market, new figures have revealed.

Their wages match those of Devon..

but the prices are 50% lower..

Wales is looking healthier then the rest of the country

I would like to know where BBC staff in London live? The BBC produces many reports about rural workers and Welsh people being priced out the housing market but I cannot remember anything ever about BBC staff being priced out the housing market. Are the people who write these reports at the BBC ex-public school types who have trust funds or wealthy parents? Or maybe the BBC pays such large salaries to its journalists they do not have a problem buying a property in London. Or maybe all BBC journalists are old enough to have bought a property a long time ago and they are out of touch with the trouble ftbs have in London. The problems people face in London is usually greater than those in rural areas and Wales.

In this article a BBC jornalist write:

Jamie Holder, 18, who is renting in Monmouthshire with her boyfriend, said they were looking for a house to buy in Chepstow.

Doesn't it occur to the BBC journalist that an 18 year old in London would not be able to even consider buying a house in London. If a Welsh person can't buy a house at 18 it is newsworthy.

Edited by Padiham

Guest Guy_Montag

I applied for a job at the beeb, as a tech. The money was pretty poor, and talking to the other techs, they all rented rented, when they got responsabilities & needed a house they went to work for Sky so they could afford to buy a house. Then moved back to the beeb once they'd paid off the mortgauge.

Basically, the beeb was a better working environment, but Sky paid far more.

This is just for techs, the presenters get the big bucks.

I had a friend who did tech work for the BBC, and he had a decent house in West London (though he rented one room out to another tech guy to help pay the mortgage).

Of course he bought it in the mid 90s... I doubt he could have bought it today. Last time I met him he was looking at moving to Sky too :).

Now I know why the BBC do not do stories about its staff not being able to buy properties because they would have publicly admit SKY pays more its staff often move to SKY for the better pay.

If the BBC did produce stories about its staff being unable to afford housing in London it might receive demands for increased pay from staff and the unions. Therefore, to produce unbiased coverage of ftb problems in London could be costly to the corporation. Therefore, maybe for the BBC the problems of buying a property in London is a taboo subject.

Edited by Padiham