House Price Crash Forum

Bbc News Fails To Mention Halifax

Henrik

HOLA441

I made a coffee mid way through the BBC 10pm news, so might have missed it, but did they really not say anything about the Halifax figures???

Nothing about the BBC really shocks me anymore, but really, wtf? I bet if it was a positive figure they would have reported it.

:angry: :angry:

HOLA442
HOLA443

I can't believe it......................it was all over the six o'clock news with a reporter in Sheffield, a bit "the crash is only 'oop north", but quite bearish overall...................then not a mention at 10 o'clock.

It's like one of the editors comes in and says "we're not running with that........ my BTL portfolio has just lost £100k!!!"

HOLA444
HOLA445

Not sure what you expect. The BBC was chief chearleader in helping blow a massive property bubble. Judging by its programming its still trying to do that. Old habits die hard. Seems to be chief propagandist for a whining public sector now. I wish some one chop this monster down to size.

And why is it so big? Most of its output is repeats, regurgitated press release VI news. What programmes it makes are outsourced to private production companies. I'd have a thought a modest office containing commissioning editors would be all the BBC required. Closed this monster down or chop it down to size!

HOLA446

Loking at the YoY chart, is the rate of decline this time steeper than in 2008? I think it looks like it.

_49403782_house_prices_464_sep.gif

Mmmm, yes it does.

Someone was trumpeting that the YOY figures were deeply negative in Q3 2008, so we're not in the same crash mode in Q3 2010, but you're right, it looks like we're at the start of a steeper fall than the crash two years ago.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

I can't believe it......................it was all over the six o'clock news with a reporter in Sheffield, a bit "the crash is only 'oop north", but quite bearish overall...................then not a mention at 10 o'clock.

It's like one of the editors comes in and says "we're not running with that........ my BTL portfolio has just lost £100k!!!"

I guess news that breaks at 7am isn't as hot by 10pm

Nevertheless a RECORD fall deserved a mention

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Wow not on a single front page, not sure what to say.....

http://www.thepaperboy.com/uk/

When they reivewed the next days newspapers last night on Newsnight, I noticed that nothing about the hpc was on any of the papers' front pages, except for the Guardian. This article was on their front page, but it was not the main story, it was on the bottom right of the paper, but at least it did make front page news on one newspaper.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/oct/07/housing-crash-house-prices-halifax

I was shocked when listening to radio 5, then radio 1, this morning that there was no mention whatsoever of the biggest monthly house price falls ever. Yet when those plus 0.1 figures were released recently, radio 1, reported it on their main news items throughout the day. :angry:

It seems the media on the whole, have managed to mask the biggest house price monthly falls ever. I don't thnk many of the public even seem to of realised it has happened.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

When they reivewed the next days newspapers last night on Newsnight, I noticed that nothing about the hpc was on any of the papers' front pages, except for the Guardian. This article was on their front page, but it was not the main story, it was on the bottom right of the paper, but at least it did make front page news on one newspaper.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/oct/07/housing-crash-house-prices-halifax

I was shocked when listening to radio 5, then radio 1, this morning that there was no mention whatsoever of the biggest monthly house price falls ever. Yet when those plus 0.1 figures were released recently, radio 1, reported it on their main news items throughout the day. :angry:

It seems the media on the whole, have managed to mask the biggest house price monthly falls ever. I don't thnk many of the public even seem to of realised it has happened.

…they (the BBC) also made great issue of the RICS survey:- an index of VI’s perceptions that there would be an increase at some point in the future.

And now with actual drops (albeit small volume, …yadda yadda) we hear next to nothing. Did you also notice that the story quickly disappeared from the “most read” window (prominence being given to Chilean miners and Red Hungarian sludge). Hard to believe really.

Shameful, simply shameful.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

You're right, I don't think a lot of the public will have even heard the story. But when there's the slight hint of a rise it's all 'HOUSE PRICES SET TO SOAR' blast on the front pages. Sickening.

You know some people think we're wackos, but there really is a conspiracy going on with the VIs.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

You're right, I don't think a lot of the public will have even heard the story. But when there's the slight hint of a rise it's all 'HOUSE PRICES SET TO SOAR' blast on the front pages. Sickening.

You know some people think we're wackos, but there really is a conspiracy going on with the VIs.

That was the warped genius of creating an economic boom on the back of HPI. When you get enough higher net worth individuals involved they will do their utmost to keep the bubble inflated and higher net worth individuals includes most journalists.

HOLA4419

..they will do their utmost to keep the bubble inflated and higher net worth individuals includes most journalists.

They are not keeping the bubble inflated by ignoring the record drop. The immediate downside is that a lot of people will remain in denial for a few months, but thats a sales issue not a pricing one.

Don't fret about the media too much. When the great unwashed find they can't rollover into another cheap deal because their equity is gone/too small the word will spread.

That and watching their neighbours loading vans from their repo'd house.

They won't thank us for being right though. Brace yourself for more 'talking the market down' accusations. Have said it many times - property is like religion now. Its the one thing people think they can rely on when their job and pension go pop. Their house going pop will be like finding out there's no afterlife.

HPs are going only one way in real terms. Media are a sideshow now.

HOLA4420

They are not keeping the bubble inflated by ignoring the record drop. The immediate downside is that a lot of people will remain in denial for a few months, but thats a sales issue not a pricing one.

Don't fret about the media too much. When the great unwashed find they can't rollover into another cheap deal because their equity is gone/too small the word will spread.

That and watching their neighbours loading vans from their repo'd house.

They won't thank us for being right though. Brace yourself for more 'talking the market down' accusations. Have said it many times - property is like religion now. Its the one thing people think they can rely on when their job and pension go pop. Their house going pop will be like finding out there's no afterlife.

HPs are going only one way in real terms. Media are a sideshow now.

I'm not fretting, they will do their utmost to keep the bubble inflated, but they won't succeed. It will take time though, I expect another few years before the market hits bottom, when prices will have dropped by 30 or 40%.

HOLA4421

I work in news. I was not surprised that the package shown 8 mins in on the 6pm was later pulled for the 10 pm news this often happens through time constarint apart from anything else, but I was staggered it wasnt mentioned at all from the autocue. Particularly as much of the stuff towards the end was inconsequential fluff. Strange, because as far as I know the 6pm and 10pm has the same editor (James Stephenson) ........

HOLA4422

On Breakfast today they had a piece on yesterday's Halifax figures where Simon Jack (snivelling little sh1t) interviewed some finanical type and they agreed that pressure needs to be applied by homeowners, the CML etc.to stop the FSA's new mortgage lending proposals. Unbelievable.

HOLA4423

That was the warped genius of creating an economic boom on the back of HPI. When you get enough higher net worth individuals involved they will do their utmost to keep the bubble inflated and higher net worth individuals includes most journalists.

No sure about the word "Net" in that description. My guess is mortgaged past the eyeballs.

HOLA4424

I work in news. I was not surprised that the package shown 8 mins in on the 6pm was later pulled for the 10 pm news this often happens through time constarint apart from anything else, but I was staggered it wasnt mentioned at all from the autocue. Particularly as much of the stuff towards the end was inconsequential fluff. Strange, because as far as I know the 6pm and 10pm has the same editor (James Stephenson) ........

Hi Tennaval. Thanks for posting. Glad to have someone "on the inside." There used to be another poster on here that worked at the Beeb, W12 I think. But I think even he gave up trying to defend the Beeb.

We are not surprised at all it wasn't mentioned and if prices had risen, it would have had constant coverage, on News 24, bulletins and on all the lunchtime/daytime programmes.

The pensions coverage yesterday was particularly bad. It amounted to a lot of whining and sense of entitement, starting on the breakfast sofa at 6am.

The BBC has a mission to explain, instead it confuses and distracts. No back story was given to pensions at all. No demographics, declining yield, worldwide savings glut, declining resources and productive capacity. The BBC just wanted bums on seats to whine about their loss of entitlements and make the coalition look bad. The BBC is a monumental disgrace.

HOLA4425