HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

sell B)

Finger always hovering around the sell button--rumours that their US business is facing a positive turnaround and the Chinese like their banking business and may buy billions of shares......

That said, I hate shares right now as I feel a big crash brewing. Too much exuberance against a back drop of awful fundamentals.

HOLA449

aye.shares are overpriced imo.

todays news draws me to prep the maths on the retailers eg next,

I draw your attention to my M&S experience.

I used to buy a pack of 2 roast chicken leg portions, 400 grammes a packet, for £1.99 in Marks and Spencer. One breast would provide a meal for an adult... with some healthy veg of course.

Over the last 2 - 3 months the portions have fallen from 400 grammes to 300 grammes. On more occasions than I care to mention I have found the portions to be more bone than meat - once I found a single bare bone behind each portion in the packet which was adding weight but nothing edible.

The portions are now tiny to look at and one will no longer suffice, IMPO, for an adult meal. You have to eat the two.

Alas, the packet still costs £1.99 so that is a doubling of my food costs if I continue to shop at M&S for these.

But my local M&S, which a few years ago, would have shelves stocked fully from Tues to Sat now has loads of half-empty shelves every day - even on Fri and Sat. In other words, IMPO people are deserting M&S in droves.

I use the above an example of how to spot a share to avoid. I could have pointed to the very thin material, IMPO, used in their mens trousers but you get my point.

Next is a case in point - go and have a look at their clothes and judge whether they are a buy or a sell on the FTSE.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I use the above an example of how to spot a share to avoid. I could have pointed to the very thin material, IMPO, used in their mens trousers but you get my point.

I bought a suit recently and noticed how thin the trouser material was. It didn't particularly worry me because I only wear it for weddings and funerals but it does confirm your point. One thing I will say though. Their fresh beef is a cut above Sainsbury's in quality even if it is a bit pricey.

HOLA4412

[snip]

The portions are now tiny to look at and one will no longer suffice, IMPO, for an adult meal. You have to eat the two.

[snip]

TMT there is a butcher in Swansea, right? Give him your business instead, ditto the baker and greengrocer.

HOLA4413

TMT there is a butcher in Swansea, right? Give him your business instead, ditto the baker and greengrocer.

This + a lot. Buying fresh stuff in supermarkets means you are a mug, who deserves the water injected shit you are buying.

HOLA4414

re. the supermarkets, buy from a butcher it is usually cheaper too. M&S is down market now anyway, I really can't tell the difference between them and Primark on the clothes - stores look almost identical, it went pear shaped when they stopped buying from British Clothing manufactures (actually a directive from the top at the time) and sourced from India, Turkey etc etc instead - we lost 2,000UK based jobs because of this alone so no one could afford their marked up outsourced foreign tat so they had to change their strict policy and accept credit cards, remember that - mid bubble.

re. Barratts homes and other builders.. I had a day off in the week last month so thought i'd have a look around all the big developers properties on the four counties border in the midlands. At every single development I asked to see various 3/4 bedroom houses only to be told that the 'keys' were not in the sales office or the house is just being finished for viewing and told to come at the weekend, thinking for a moment it was obvious they wanted to drive the footfall through on a Sat/Sun so I would have been more likely to bump in to another 'prospective buyer' and be panicked in to putting in an offer as I would see other people - a four bed was on at (had to enquire, price not in brochure) £270k looked like £170k property so again can't see it selling close to that. The biggest laugh was at Persimmon, the woman actually looked me up and down and told me my budget (I was looking rather scruffy, lol) she pointed me in the direction of the £160k 3 bed (2 1/4 bed) starter homes. Worth noting, half the sales offices weren't open until the weekend.

If HB shares don't take a hammering then we will all be ok! (I am laughing as I write this).

HOLA4415

I bought a suit recently and noticed how thin the trouser material was. It didn't particularly worry me because I only wear it for weddings and funerals but it does confirm your point. One thing I will say though. Their fresh beef is a cut above Sainsbury's in quality even if it is a bit pricey.

The grass-fed beef in m&s is very good if indeed pricey.

HOLA4416

Oddly enough, I went to my local award-winning butchers yesterday and was surprised to see that he had closed down - a big retirement notice on his door.

In some other butchers I have had water-injected chicken breasts whereas the supermarkets I buy my chicken breasts from do not water-inject - you have to look around for the ones who don't this.

Or about a friend who paid a small fortune for an organic chicken from a local butchers and it was one of the worst tasting chicken we ever had - it both tasted and smelt of the fish pellets that this, supposedly organic, chicken had been fed on.

Or the local butchers that sell sausages with a much lower meat and higher bread content than the likes of the Co-Op, M&S, etc. Many supermarkets now do gluten free sausages.

If you can find a good butcher - I did but he has now retired - then you are lucky but IMPO they aren't as well regulated as the supermarkets are.

There are lots of myths about local butchers. You only need to see some of the things Corporal Jones does in Dad's Army to realise these have been going on for decades.

HOLA4417

I used to buy a pack of 2 roast chicken leg portions, 400 grammes a packet, for £1.99 in Marks and Spencer. One breast would provide a meal for an adult... with some healthy veg of course.

Over the last 2 - 3 months the portions have fallen from 400 grammes to 300 grammes. On more occasions than I care to mention I have found the portions to be more bone than meat - once I found a single bare bone behind each portion in the packet which was adding weight but nothing edible.

Alas, the packet still costs £1.99 so that is a doubling of my food costs if I continue to shop at M&S for these.

At the risk of stating the obvious, why not buy a whole chicken instead and roast it yourself?

Much cheaper than portions and all the 'undercarriage' bits are great in a stir-fry or curry. And after all that you can boil up the carcass and make some lovely soup, too. :)

HOLA4418

At the risk of stating the obvious, why not buy a whole chicken instead and roast it yourself?

Much cheaper than portions and all the 'undercarriage' bits are great in a stir-fry or curry. And after all that you can boil up the carcass and make some lovely soup, too. :)

Which is what I am cooking right now.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

I don't remember a thread that has ever gone as far off topic as this!

I enjoyed the "grass-fed beef" post the most! :)

I do know they also get supplement pellets/vitamins

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Kate Bush's "A Sky of Honey" features Rolf Harris playing the didgeridoo on one track, as he had done on her 1982 single "The Dreaming" (Harris also provides vocals as "The Painter" on 'An Architect's Dream' - which takes its name from a painting by Thomas Cole - and 'The Painter's Link').

Does anyone else have any Kate-Bush-Rolf-Harris related facts?

Yes. In Wuthering Heights Kate wailed wowowowowow, Rolfs wobbles board makes a much similar wowowowowow sound, only in a different key.

HOLA4423

Archived