House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mikhail Liebenstein

Attack Of The Mushrooms

Now I know I wouldn't have this problem if I were French and owned a truffle pig

Having  come back from a longish holiday and having missed the UK rain, I have returned to a field of mushrooms on my lawn. Not that surprising as I live near a lot woods, but I wondered if any HPCers knew what species of mushrooms these are and whether they are edible or not?

I am sure some will say all mushrooms are edible.

Here's what happens if you get it wrong: The deadly dish that poisoned our lives: How The Horse Whisperer's Nicholas Evans almost killed his own family with wild mushrooms.

Unfortunately this particular link is from the Mail, but you'll get the gist.

It is a plot that would stretch even his vivid imagination: the author of The Horse Whisperer picks and serves lethal wild mushrooms on the vast estate of his Scottish clan chief brother-in-law, almost killing both them and his own wife . . . and leaving all three needing kidney transplants

This was two years ago and three people are still undergoing regular dialysis until they get new kidneys. You really want to be quite certain that you're eating the right thing.

Here's what happens if you get it wrong: The deadly dish that poisoned our lives: How The Horse Whisperer's Nicholas Evans almost killed his own family with wild mushrooms.

This was two years ago and three people are still undergoing regular dialysis until they get new kidneys. You really want to be quite certain that you're eating the right thing.

Yep I remember that story well. Interesting he says he was 'told' they were Cep mushrooms and didn't actually know himself. He then goes on to say this.

‘I am naturally a very cautious person and always on the look-out for danger. I have picked mushrooms for years and, if I am the slightest bit unsure, always carefully check in at least one book.

‘There was a book in the kitchen but – tragically – we never consulted it. It was,’ he says slowly, ‘a momentary suspension of doubt.'

Well it is clear he is not a naturally cautious person - is he !! Probably just been lucky up until that point. Would be interesting to know who told him they were ok to eat. If they were some sort of expert then it would be understandable to trust them. He doesn't say this though so unlikely.

I know many of the edible fungi here but do not recognise those.

Had a quick look, this site seems handy for showing the main edible varieties. There are about 20 good eaters over here iirc but there may well be far more that are edible.

If you identify your garden fungi then post back what they are but trying to do so will probably highlight the dangers of wild fungi. Even with books and colour pictures it is not always that easy to identify them. If in doubt go without.

Not that surprising as I live near a lot woods

All mushrooms have a favoured environment. Field mushrooms do not grow in woods. Where you find it growing is a key to identification. The only wild mushrooms I have eaten are magic mushrooms in my youth. Once I got the eye, I could harvest hundreds per hour. The fields were full of them.

Terrible story.

Ceps are easy to identify, so that was a very stupid mistake.

Terrible story.

Ceps are easy to identify, so that was a very stupid mistake.

The book 'Free Food' by Richard Mabey is very useful for identification of mushrooms. There is also a step by step test (I don't have the book to hand so it may be somewhere else) you can do to check mushrooms using sight, smell etc, if you can tick all the boxes it is safe. I generally only eat field mushrooms because these are the only ones I can be sure of. I tried fairy ring champignons one time and got an upset stomach so tend to avoid those.

It's been a good year for mushrooms! Sadly, I'm no expert - my mum is happy to go picking various wild mushrooms, but my knowledge extends as far as recognising puffballs (which are easy to spot!)...

I recommend Rogers Mushrooms - the link is to the visual key - click on the group of mushrooms it relates to, and then all the mushrooms in the group are shown, along with where they grow, when, etc, as well as if they're edible.

As others have said, if in doubt, don't do it!

In France, you can take your wild mushrooms to the local pharmacist and they'll identify them for you - it's a shame, but I'm not aware of any service like that here.

Now I know I wouldn't have this problem if I were French and owned a truffle pig

Having come back from a longish holiday and having missed the UK rain, I have returned to a field of mushrooms on my lawn. Not that surprising as I live near a lot woods, but I wondered if any HPCers knew what species of mushrooms these are and whether they are edible or not?

I am sure some will say all mushrooms are edible.

The picture on the right looks like it may have a veil - be very wary of shrooms with veils that come out of an egg like sac - they could be members of the often deadly Amanita family, e..g. like the beutiful but deadly Destroying Angel (the santa red n white mushroom's in that family to).

amanvi1.jpg

LINK