House Price Crash Forum

Road Rage Up Close In Gloucester

xux42

HOLA441

Didn't see everything that happened in rear view mirror but I can pretty much piece it together.

Long queue for single lane working between the docks and the city centre, while I'm waiting a truck pulls up next to me - thankfully I'm far enough forward not to get involved.

Move off to hear a long horn sound & glance back to see car and lorry side by side and then car pull ahead & stop.

We are all stationary again and the lorry driver jumps out & starts abusing the car driver (both men).

Ends up with them standing in the middle of the road shouting & swearing - the car driver seemed more composed but they were both pushing each other.

I think the lorry driver decided to muscle out and the car driver decided not to put up with it.

Questions:

Why did the lorry driver get so upset only ending up one car length further back?

Why wasn't he worried about this confrontation getting back to his employer via Lorry Reg, Co. Name & Tel. or even video evidence from the cctv all over that area?

Why were they both prepared to go to the edge of serious violence and frighten people around them? God knows how old people and mum's with kids in the car stuck near this were feeling.

Why didn't the driver's mate step in to defuse the situation instead of standing nearby and watching?

But most of all, why didn't they see that the pressures that their bosses are putting on them, the stresses of modern living and the ridiculous idea of still trying to thread heavy traffic though a major building site are the real culprits?

Any lorry drivers, reps etc. care to comment?

HOLA442

It's a combination of invasion of personal space, apparently poor road etiquette and lack of respect/deference while enclosed within several tonnes of powerful machinery. I suffer from occasional road-rage myself. It's pathetic.

Let me know the solution.

HOLA443

I was reading about an horrific incident in Dublin the other day - this guy got the shit beaten out of him with a hurley stick, and died a couple of days later.

I saw my first road rage incident when I was a nipper - again in Dublin (Gardiner Street), with a truck driver attacking a car with his feet a fists and the guy inside giving him the finger.

Only place I've ever been at the receiving end was in South Wales - on the M4 - this troglodyte kicked off coz I wasn't moving lane for him (just before a feeder lane merged from left). Shoni cretin. The police got him.

HOLA444

Lorry driving is a stressful/brain numbing job. They call it "deadman shoes".

We have a lorry driver who has to reverse his 3.5T HGV up a one way street to make his deliveries.

The police have allowed it (no other way), but one day a member of the public (pedestrian) wouldn't accept it and stood in the way. Of course traffic was building up, and he was running late etc.

HOLA445

I saw my first road rage incident when I was a nipper - again in Dublin (Gardiner Street), with a truck driver attacking a car with his feet a fists and the guy inside giving him the finger.

:lol::lol:

I have been on the receiving end twice. First time I was a teenager, had driven through some slush which splashed up and must have got a pedestrian. The old sod came upto the car and started shouting then kicked my passenger window. He nearly fell over doing it but fortunately he didnt break the window so I didnt have to put him on his ar5e.

Second time was a couple of years ago, 2 chavs cut me up at a roundabout but due to road works I ended up infront of them again. They tried to cut me up again but I didnt yield and when we ended up side by side at another roundabout the passenger opened his window to start shouting abuse. Ofcourse, I behaved responsibly and did not exchange insults. I did throw an empty coke bottle and a cheese sandwhich through his window before driving off :lol: they chased me for another 12 miles all the way to work :lol:

HOLA446
HOLA447

I behaved responsibly and did not exchange insults. I did throw an empty coke bottle and a cheese sandwhich through his window before driving off :lol: they chased me for another 12 miles all the way to work :lol:

Just as long as you smoothed things over... :lol:

HOLA448
HOLA449

Why did the lorry driver get so upset only ending up one car length further back?

In these cases the polite thing to do is to filter together, one from each lane at a time. I've despised lorry drivers since they decided to stop me earning a living by preventing me from driving my car when they clogged up the roads in 2000 protesting about the price of fuel, selfish f'kers that they are. However, I'm prepared to stick up for this one as he was standing up for manners and chivalry.

HOLA4410

On the other side some people are good at calming the situation down. Was driving into a space in Edinburgh once, on George street and you can enter from both sides. I was half way in when someone from the other side arrived half way in too. I thought ****** this could get interesting. But I wasn't moving !! he had the same idea. So he got out of his car. I was thinking almost time to do a quick reverse !!

However he calmy put his hand in his pocket and pulled out a coin and showed it to me. I opened the window and picked a side. He tossed the coin. I won. He reversed out.

I thought it was brilliant. This was about 10 years ago and I am still waiting on the opportunity to try it myself. Insant way to calm the situation down.

HOLA4411

On the other side some people are good at calming the situation down. Was driving into a space in Edinburgh once, on George street and you can enter from both sides. I was half way in when someone from the other side arrived half way in too. I thought ****** this could get interesting. But I wasn't moving !! he had the same idea. So he got out of his car. I was thinking almost time to do a quick reverse !!

However he calmy put his hand in his pocket and pulled out a coin and showed it to me. I opened the window and picked a side. He tossed the coin. I won. He reversed out.

I thought it was brilliant. This was about 10 years ago and I am still waiting on the opportunity to try it myself. Insant way to calm the situation down.

I thought this anecdote would end, "And the man's name was Sean; Sean Connery."

HOLA4412

I have been on the receiving end twice. First time I was a teenager, had driven through some slush which splashed up and must have got a pedestrian.

So you were driving far too fast for the conditions. I expect someone here can fill in chapter and verse on the law and highway code, but going so fast as to spray innocent people in wet conditions is a clear no-no, and the antisocial shits who indulge in it are a blight on our town centres.

HOLA4413

So you were driving far too fast for the conditions. I expect someone here can fill in chapter and verse on the law and highway code, but going so fast as to spray innocent people in wet conditions is a clear no-no, and the antisocial shits who indulge in it are a blight on our town centres.

:lol: No, not really too fast. The roads were clear but you know how the melted snow and slush gathers and remains nearer the curb? I think I got too close to the curb and drove in the slush pile which caused it to spray, cant have been much though and I wasnt going fast. The fact that he managed to come over and kick the window should give an indication of the traffic situation.

Hardly like hitting a huge puddle at 50mph and drowning someone stood right next to it but then I know you are winding me up :P

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Didn't see everything that happened in rear view mirror but I can pretty much piece it together.

Long queue for single lane working between the docks and the city centre, while I'm waiting a truck pulls up next to me - thankfully I'm far enough forward not to get involved.

Move off to hear a long horn sound & glance back to see car and lorry side by side and then car pull ahead & stop.

We are all stationary again and the lorry driver jumps out & starts abusing the car driver (both men).

Ends up with them standing in the middle of the road shouting & swearing - the car driver seemed more composed but they were both pushing each other.

I think the lorry driver decided to muscle out and the car driver decided not to put up with it.

Questions:

Why wasn't he worried about this confrontation getting back to his employer via Lorry Reg, Co. Name & Tel. or even video evidence from the cctv all over that area?

Why were they both prepared to go to the edge of serious violence and frighten people around them? God knows how old people and mum's with kids in the car stuck near this were feeling.

Why didn't the driver's mate step in to defuse the situation instead of standing nearby and watching?

But most of all, why didn't they see that the pressures that their bosses are putting on them, the stresses of modern living and the ridiculous idea of still trying to thread heavy traffic though a major building site are the real culprits?

Any lorry drivers, reps etc. care to comment?

It's likely the driver was self-employed. I work with around 40 drivers, everything from transit multi-drops to class C&E, and they are all aware that any 'road rage' incident, where they get out of the cab, means they will very likely face the boot.

Most drivers with a few years under their belt wouldn't even blink at this incident. Most car drivers see a rig as nothing more than a moving obstacle, and they don't want it in front of them, and tend not to courteous because of this.

HOLA4416

I thought this anecdote would end, "And the man's name was Sean; Sean Connery."

Nah more likely Mohammed. But I didn't want to ruin the stereotype of all Muslims being blood crazy AK-47 wielding mentalists.

Some of them are clearly pretty decent chaps. :ph34r:

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

violent *****ers are all over the place. if you are not a hard nut in real life, don't become a temporary hard man just because you are sitting behind the wheel, as being in a car is not likely to disuade the prize A **** white van driver who wants to smash your puss. keep your head done, mind your own, play dumb. no probs.

HOLA4419

:lol: No, not really too fast. The roads were clear but you know how the melted snow and slush gathers and remains nearer the curb? I think I got too close to the curb and drove in the slush pile which caused it to spray, cant have been much though and I wasnt going fast. The fact that he managed to come over and kick the window should give an indication of the traffic situation.

If you splashed a big filthy puddle on someone, you were going too fast. No matter if it was only 10mph, it was too fast for the conditions. It's downright nasty, and I'm happy to say I have seen police stop drivers for it.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

If you splashed a big filthy puddle on someone, you were going too fast. No matter if it was only 10mph, it was too fast for the conditions. It's downright nasty, and I'm happy to say I have seen police stop drivers for it.

Now you are just talking sh1t. I explained what happened and probably wasn't doing much over 10 mph. I was not going too fast for the road conditions but was unfortunate enough to have edged over into the remaining slush. The road was clear. Had it been a puddle then one could have moved over or slowed down.

I have seen the police pull people over hitting a large puddle and soaking someone, I have also reported drivers for it myself. I am, however, 100% certain that none would have even spoken to me for what happened that winter.

For anyone that actually does something worth reporting, not my non incident, the offence is called "driving with undue care and attention".

Archived