House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1929crash

Coldest Winter In 1,000 Years On Its Way

After the record heat wave this summer, Russia's weather seems to have acquired a taste for the extreme.

Propeller Forecasters say this winter could be the coldest Europe has seen in the last 1,000 years.

The change is reportedly connected with the speed of the Gulf Stream, which has shrunk in half in just the last couple of years. Polish scientists say that it means the stream will not be able to compensate for the cold from the Arctic winds. According to them, when the stream is completely stopped, a new Ice Age will begin in Europe.

Full story at: http://rt.com/prime-time/2010-10-04/coldest-winter-emergency-measures.html

Not again? We need Chris25 to verify this. His last prediction about the unbelivable cold spell last year was spot on.

There's been a lot of internet chat about the Gulf Stream slowing as a direct result of oil and corexit from the Gulf of Mexico shutting down the Loop Current.

I can't verify this from a "respectable" source and have gone boggle eyed watching the charts on the US Naval research Lab website.

The input you suggest from Chris25 would be appreciated.

From what I've read the sudden freezing of Northern Europe has happened before. The Canadian tundra contains fossilized trees still lying where then fell on Ellesmere Island. By investigating isotopes of oxygen which are produced by sunlight only over land the prevailing wind direction can be found that existed when the trees were growing. This wind direction was from the south. The theory goes that something causes a basic wind shift over the North American continent from West/East to South/North. The result is hot humid air from the Caribbean blowing over Canada circulating over Greenland back into the Atlantic. Canada goes tropical until the wind eventually blows completely over the pole where the air cools rapidly and buries Europe (Russia mostly) in snow and sub freezing temperatures.

If this had really happened there would be lots of animals frozen into the snow with freshly eaten grass in their mouths and stomachs and tropical plant remains in Northern Canada. These animals would be mostly in Siberia and only large, possibly extinct herbivores would be reported. Smaller animals would be found on a regular basis but eaten rather than talked about. Actually, even these large animals might never be reported unless they happen to have huge tusks that are made of ivory and they started turning up on the ivory market and other people start asking questions.

A very unlikely story but hey! . . . . . . yer never know.

How can I discourage mammoths from the turnip plot? :blink:

Great, this came just at the right time, I was running out of things to worry about.

Cheers for my next dose of fear and terror to focus on. Although, I did much prefer the prospect of the uk becoming spain rather than iceland but cest la vie. Who can argue with the scaremongers?

Remember swine flu? That was a good one, had me going for a while. I wonder what the bbc will do to pump this.

Ah great. Its taken years to make the met office understand that they can't predict seasonal behaviour for toffee, and having finally got that message through to the idiots that reside there, another bunch jump up.

Ya just can't win.

I can't see the BBC pumping it though richyc - they are still too busy worshipping the remaining tatters of the AGW scam. About five years after everyone else abandons it, they'll follow suit.

Great, this came just at the right time, I was running out of things to worry about.

Cheers for my next dose of fear and terror to focus on. Although, I did much prefer the prospect of the uk becoming spain rather than iceland but cest la vie. Who can argue with the scaremongers?

Remember swine flu? That was a good one, had me going for a while. I wonder what the bbc will do to pump this.

Don't knock it.A year ago I argued that we wouldn't all be dead by teatime and got heavily flamed.

:lol: Best quote of the thread IMO.

Don't knock it.A year ago I argued that we wouldn't all be dead by teatime and got heavily flamed.

If it gets really cold, you'll be wishing you were flamed.

Without wishing to sound all TFH, I guess it wouldn't hurt to have a stock of food in, just in case?

I think I'd rather have shed full of coal. :)

I have some thermals on standby.

Although in my place, if there's no heating, I'd need to wear them, a t-shirt, two pullovers, a fleece AND a thick winter coat.

Come Spring 2011 I'd look like this

2d7f91cb27844809_98ff94c5e3022d8e_o.jpg

There's been a lot of internet chat about the Gulf Stream slowing as a direct result of oil and corexit from the Gulf of Mexico shutting down the Loop Current.

I can't verify this from a "respectable" source and have gone boggle eyed watching the charts on the US Naval research Lab website.

The input you suggest from Chris25 would be appreciated.

Was there really enough oil to have such a huge effect ? I know it was a lot however in Atlantic Ocean terms ?

Yes, i posted this from revered oracle and HPC deity figure gerald celente (predicted 87 and 2008 crashes). No one seemed interested though.

If this is in fact the case, then Britain is about to experience a winter like none in living history. This could possible destroy the infrastructure of the country as we are not prepared for the onset of such cold!!!

Just after I'd finished reading One Second After as well.

Was there really enough oil to have such a huge effect ? I know it was a lot however in Atlantic Ocean terms ?

Yes, IMO there was. The Atlantic conveyor is driven by strikingly small differences in salinity and these differences may have been upset by the corexit and the oil.

Yes, IMO there was. The Atlantic conveyor is driven by strikingly small differences in salinity and these differences may have been upset by the corexit and the oil.

Once conditions return to normal, will the Gulf Stream also do likewise?

If thats the case the Thames will freeze over.

This would be very bad news for the economic recovery , everything would grind to a halt.

Good to have some snow chains or socks for the car, last year I got in just in time thanks to a thread on here.

We have, in short, been overwhelmed with enquiries, orders, follow up e-mails, phone calls and answerphone messages. The huge demand for AutoSock came unexpectedly, like the snow. We received 20 times the orders we normally expect to receive in a day, and probably 50 times the number of e-mails, with many of these being customers asking for different delivery addresses, having realised that their local roads would be impassable to couriers. Vast numbers of customers, desperate for their AutoSocks, have e-mailed me direct but again, there's been no time to reply to all of you.

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=133580&st=15

He he. Interesting article.

I don't think it is possible to have the coldest winter for a 1000 years without some significant event (e.g. volcano, solar minimum etc) or years of previous cooling.

What will happen this winter? Well it is still too early to tell. However, I think the chances are for a cold winter.