House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
or in excess of

Alan Sugar

Just listened to Al on Radio 5. Very interesting. The female interviewer then recalled something Digby had said in the past. Big Al then questioned Jones` credentials, asking what he had ever done to justify his reputation. I thought because he was director general of the C.B.I, that he must, at some stage, been a C,E.O. of some big organization. All i could find on wiki, was that he has had a number of advisory roles, and honorary posts.Other than that, he has no qualifications to justify his largesse. Yes, a windbag.

Just listened to Al on Radio 5. Very interesting. The female interviewer then recalled something Digby had said in the past. Big Al then questioned Jones` credentials, asking what he had ever done to justify his reputation. I thought because he was director general of the C.B.I, that he must, at some stage, been a C,E.O. of some big organization. All i could find on wiki, was that he has had a number of advisory roles, and honorary posts.Other than that, he has no qualifications to justify his largesse. Yes, a windbag.

We had a similar laugh on 'ere looking into the background of some the "Property Expert" tv presenters

Former years of "expert" training in the 'housing' business included:

"bra marketer with M&S"

"Minor TV show auto/car presenter"

etc

We've all been had! :o

Hmm, glass houses and that eh, Sr'alan?

LORD Sugar if you DON'T MIND! Touch your forelock in a respectful manner.

What a world eh? I know the eegit's made a load of money, but it just goes to show you don't have to be clever to make money. Luck, capital and appetite for risk are what you need. And one in a thousand makes it big.

And let's not forget his main business interest these days is property - commercial I believe. You know, the sort of property that has halved in price over the last few years.

M'lord's a shrewd b'stard and no mistake.

Edited by Let's get it right

We had a similar laugh on 'ere looking into the background of some the "Property Expert" tv presenters

Former years of "expert" training in the 'housing' business included:

"bra marketer with M&S"

"Minor TV show auto/car presenter"

etc

We've all been had! ohmy.gif

Seem to remember someone arguing with DOMMMMMM on some show or other. He started shouting 'I'm a property expert me!' when someone asked him what qualified him to comment on property. He's a 'property expert' no less. Say no more.

Digby Jones - I think he was partner in a large law firm - being a lawyer not sure what that qualifies you for though

Probably a stepping stone on the road to being a highly paid investment banker, MP or something less slimey and deplorable such as a mass murderer, :lol::lol::lol:

Here's Fatby's biography: http://www.digbylordjones.com/biography.html

Be warned, it's very long and self-indulgent, and I feel ashamed that I bothered to read as far as I did.

The key bit on his real life business experience is this: "His graduation from University College London was followed by 20 years with Edge & Ellison, a Birmingham-based firm of lawyers, where he worked his way up from Articled Clerk to Senior Partner." So, basically, he has no business qualifications at all.

Edited by WageslaveX14

Probably a stepping stone on the road to being a highly paid investment banker, MP or something less slimey and deplorable such as a mass murderer, :lol::lol::lol:

Why's that funny?

Gamblers in the City were recently directly responsible for the deaths, by starvation, of over 30 Million people by speculating on food basics wheat,rice etc and driving the price too high for them to afford!

??? Whether you question his products, methods or personal hygiene, the man has built and sold several companies from scratch. I give him his dues.

Here's Fatby's biography: http://www.digbylord.../biography.html

Be warned, it's very long and self-indulgent, and I feel ashamed that I bothered to read as far as I did.

The key bit on his real life business experience is this: "His graduation from University College London was followed by 20 years with Edge & Ellison, a Birmingham-based firm of lawyers, where he worked his way up from Articled Clerk to Senior Partner." So, basically, he has no business qualifications at all.

In serving writs I made such a name

That an articled clerk I soon became;

I wore clean collars and a brand-new suit

For the pass examination at the Institute,

And that pass examination did so well for me,

That now I am the Ruler of the Queen's Navee!

I remember browsing a forum when I had first got online, possibly early 2000s, it was an electronics forum and whatever the discussion was about somebody had gotten around to stating how s**t Amstrad equipment was in general and how 'Sir Alan' had played a blinder ripping people off.

Shortly afterwards there's a post from somebody with a username something like 'AMS1947', not exactly stating that he was Alan Sugar at first but stating a lot of facts which must have had at least some insider knowledge of the company. As happens on the Internet, even with this slightest inference to being the man himself, a few of the regulars starting berating him, calling him down, all of the usual stuff to be expected.

One of the posters was particularly going for it suggesting that it was bulls**t and there's no way AMS would be posting on this particular forum, AMS1947's next post reads something like 'Call Amstrad head office, ask for my secretary and tell them your name and I've just PM'd you a 'code word', your call is expected.'.

Next post from the guy was 'HOLY S**T!! IT REALLY IS HIM!'.

Even Lords browse the forums on work's time!

In serving writs I made such a name

That an articled clerk I soon became;

I wore clean collars and a brand-new suit

For the pass examination at the Institute,

And that pass examination did so well for me,

That now I am the Ruler of the Queen's Navee!

That video took me right back to the time your grandfather and I used to go up to the D'Oyly Carte operas in London just after the war.

Digby Jones, Stephen Alan Brittas, Michael Coogan, 3 of the biggest cr@p spouting media hogging cvntz.

That video took me right back to the time your grandfather and I used to go up to the D'Oyly Carte operas in London just after the war.

Heh. I've performed in that. Well, not the patter-part, only the Boson ("He is a HEnglishman!"). Want to play Dick Deadeye sometime.

But surely the verse cited isn't the best ...

"That junior partnership I ween / Is the only ship that I ever had seen"

"I always voted at my party's call / and I never thought of thinking for myself at all /

I thought so little they rewarded me / by making me the ruler of the Queen's Navy"

"Stick close to your desks, and never go to sea / and you all may be rulers of the Queen's Navy"

What a world eh? I know the eegit's made a load of money, but it just goes to show you don't have to be clever to make money. Luck, capital and appetite for risk are what you need. And one in a thousand makes it big.

IMO the key to business is selling. If you can sell, you can move any old tat.

The reason Sugar is still around is because he hasn't done a Ratner, and let the cat out of the bag.

Heh. I've performed in that. Well, not the patter-part, only the Boson ("He is a HEnglishman!"). Want to play Dick Deadeye sometime.

But surely the verse cited isn't the best ...

You're right. It wasn't the best verse. It was just that it was mentioned that Digby Jones was an articled clerk and that was

what reminded me of the song. I just found it amusing that he has been an articled clerk and blagged his was to the top

just like the ruler of the Queens Navee! (sic). Plus ca change ...

Edited by Exit pursued by a bear

I heard it too. Very good.

Here it is: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00v16mk/Victoria_Derbyshire_05_10_2010/

His comments start from 0:10:20 ... worth listening to the whole interview.

I like people who speak their mind.

Edit: Although he speaks a bit too highly of Gordon Brown for my liking which is not an opinion I share.

Edited by GordonBrownSpentMyFuture

Alan Sugar on Digby Jones. Has this anything to do with Chubby Chasers?

Lord Sugar is pretty fit and a keen cyclist, unlike Fatby.

The noble Lord was on the One show yesterday and tried to explain the loss of child benefit for higher tax payers. Very laboured and I was sweating for him afterwards. Why he was asked is beyond me as a Labour peer is unlikely to give an unbiased answer.

IMO the key to business is selling. If you can sell, you can move any old tat.

The reason Sugar is still around is because he hasn't done a Ratner, and let the cat out of the bag.

I rea somewhere that Sugar did do a 'Ratner' in the 80s or 90s, but for some reason it did not bury him.

From memory he said something like... 'Amstrad brand Hi-Fi units were low quality and only bought by residents of council estates'.

Sir Lord Sugar is indeed a very, very rich bloke make no mistake but shrewd ??

His business empire is built on very favourable business terms with our government throwing money his way to implement very average infrastructure. He makes his money from the public sector... an example could be the £30million contract he won to supply and set-up in an NHS PCT a few computers. The gross margins private enterprise makes from goverment projects are nearly 30%, that is twice what B2B would achieve. Do we honestly believe that he made his 100s of millions from Amstrads Email Phones ?? Fair enough he made his first few million off his own back selling stereos.

Another high flyer was Phillip Carter who became stinkingly rich from yet more government outsourcing for silly New Deal type training schemes that threw good public money after bad. He died crashing in his helicopter flying to support his football team. The business went in to administration soon after his death and i'm sure if Lord Sugar snuffed it his businesses would in all probability go the same way. It's the man who knows the right people that makes the business viable.