House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Un 'to Appoint Space Ambassador To Greet Alien Visitors'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/space/8025832/UN-to-appoint-space-ambassador-to-greet-alien-visitors.html

Mazlan Othman, a Malaysian astrophysicist, is set to be tasked with co-ordinating humanity’s response if and when extraterrestrials make contact.

Aliens who landed on earth and asked: “Take me to your leader” would be directed to Mrs Othman.

She will set out the details of her proposed new role at a Royal Society conference in Buckinghamshire next week.

The 58-year-old is expected to tell delegates that the proposal has been prompted by the recent discovery of hundreds of planets orbiting other starts, which is thought to make the discovery of extraterrestrial life more probable than ever before.

Mrs Othman is currently head of the UN’s little known Office for Outer Space Affairs (Unoosa).

In a recent talk to fellow scientists, she said: “The continued search for extraterrestrial communication, by several entities, sustains the hope that some day human kind will received signals from extraterrestrials.

“When we do, we should have in place a coordinated response that takes into account all the sensitivities related to the subject. The UN is a ready-made mechanism for such coordination.”

Professor Richard Crowther, an expert in space law at the UK space agency who leads delegations to the UN, said: “Othman is absolutely the nearest thing we have to a ‘take me to your leader’ person”.

You mean apart from actually having a leader? You would have thought this would have been the Secretary General's role?

Opinion is divided about how future extraterrestrial visitors should be greeted. Under the Outer Space Treaty on 1967, which Unoosa oversees, UN members agreed to protect Earth against contamination by alien species by “sterilising” them.

Mrs Othman is understood to support a more tolerant approach.

Nice I wonder how they think we'd be able to sterilise a species that had travelled the stars, I'm sure they would be very willing to be sterilised and wouldn't object at all. The obvious problem that their DNA probably wouldn't allow impregnation appears lost as well as the problem that if they have interstellar travel they probably have better weapons than the human race.

So long as they all look like Nastasha Henstridge that's fine with me.

Hopefully theyll take more notice of it than Us, the USA and Israel.

Exactly what is the point of the UN given all the big nations the little nations are supposed to look up to take no notice of its weapons inspectors?

Waste of time and money IMO. EIther people listen to it, or whats the point of it, other than giving Imadinejacket opputunities to say the Holocaust was a Holohoax.

I bet Lembit teleported his CV there , before the job application ink was dry...................................... and offered his advice ..... Like ...free segways for every visitor visit ! ...... practice human sex with a cheeky girl of your choice !............................... plumb the depths of human humour...! ...how to deal with rogue asteroids in the lembit way !

I wonder how they think we'd be able to sterilise a species that had travelled the stars, I'm sure they would be very willing to be sterilised and wouldn't object at all. The obvious problem that their DNA probably wouldn't allow impregnation

Ummm....I think they mean sterilisation as in the removal of potentially harmful alien bacteria, rather than sterilisation as in cutting their nads off. I hope I am right anyway. Otherwise it could be the worse start to international relations since the Vikings wandered around America stabbing the locals in order to 'find out how much they bleed' :blink:

Ummm....I think they mean sterilisation as in the removal of potentially harmful alien bacteria, rather than sterilisation as in cutting their nads off. I hope I am right anyway. Otherwise it could be the worse start to international relations since the Vikings wandered around America stabbing the locals in order to 'find out how much they bleed' :blink:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/opinion/4177371/Our-space-ambassador

OPINION: Praise the lord and pass the bottle, Unoosa is looking after us. Unoosa (bless you) is the United Nations Office for Outer Space Affairs.

Back in 1967 it forged an Outer Space Treaty which it sent to every government on Earth.

To this day, in official archives from Mombasa to Beijing, there's a box file containing the text of the treaty, including a chapter entitled "Aliens: what to do in the event of arrival of". I am not making this up.

The chapter is short and the message simple - if you find an alien, sterilise it. What I've been unable to discover, however, is the exact meaning of sterilise. Two interpretations come to mind.

A UFO touches down. The authorities arrive, sirens screaming, and order the occupants to come out one by one with their appendages up.

As each alien descends the chute of greenish light a civil servant with a bucket swabs the creature down with Dettol. Only then is it allowed to go sightseeing.

The other sterilisation scenario is identical except that the civil servant is armed with a scalpel.

He orders the alien to indicate its reproductive organs. Should the alien fail to understand the order the civil servant shows it a picture of the terrestrial life-form it most closely resembles with the relevant body parts highlighted.

After that it's just a quick slash with the scalpel, a dab of antiseptic, and our womenfolk can relax.

This approach to aliens, as I have said, was formulated by Unoosa and agreed to by our wise representatives in 1967. That year was a time of optimism. Nasa was popping rockets into the sky every other week and would soon put men on the Moon. The signature television show of the day was Star Trek, in which homo Americanus roved the galaxy as a sort of celestial policeman, promoting decent behaviour and ferocious capitalism. If any alien argued, out came the phasers.

Star Trek aliens weren't much chop. They either ran their planets like the bad guys in World War II or they were Klingons. Klingons were intergalactic Hell's Angels. No wonder Unoosa felt the need to sterilise any life forms that might make it to Earth.

It would appear that they haven't actually clarified what they meant.

Office for Outer Space Affairs (Unoosa)

more bizarre bloat spending from the UN

Its unlikely to happen I grant you.

But funding 1 person to think about this on behalf of the other 7,000,000,000 doesn't seem that outrageous.

'effin 'ell

The first thing aliens would think will be something like "Hmm they look useful, but we need to get the numbers down a bit." :(

'Ambassador To Greet Alien Visitors'

Where are they going to base it - Tijuana ?

'Ambassador To Greet Alien Visitors'

Where are they going to base it - Tijuana ?

Dundee, or Doncaster is my top tip! :huh:

The 58-year-old is expected to tell delegates that the proposal has been prompted by the recent discovery of hundreds of planets orbiting other starts, which is thought to make the discovery of extraterrestrial life more probable than ever before.

Not really. I mean, those planets have always been there, just the fact that we now know about them doesn't suddenly make it more likely that someone on there will visit us.

And even if some sort of organic life were detected, which must be unlikely given the distance, it could turn out to be a loads of trees or something.

Anyway, if were giving out meaningless titles, I would like to volunteer myself as the Official HPC Space Cadet Ambassador Commander-in-Chief.

I think that in the coming months / years, we are going to get a BIG announcement about governments' knowledge of extra terrestrial lifeforms. Watch this if you are not convinced.

Youtube: UFO Disclosure Project

Could well happen. There has been an increasing number of stories in the news and programmes relating to the universe and UFOs. Could be that they are building up to something.

Maybe global warming and terrorism isnt doing enough to keep the people feared up and they need a new scare tactic :lol: