House Price Crash Forum
guitarman001

Scumlord Btl Opposite Us

Get this. We stay in a council area in a town outside of Edinburgh. Rent is £180 per month (believe it or not) and some scumlord has bought the place opposite us and is charging rent at £600 per month!!!

Get this. We stay in a council area in a town outside of Edinburgh. Rent is £180 per month (believe it or not) and some scumlord has bought the place opposite us and is charging rent at £600 per month!!!

I would suggest that you are very very lucky to be renting for the amount that you are. £180 a month would be cheap for a room in a shared house right now...

Everybody on the street is! (It's my parents' place by the way, I live at home). Cheap old council rents, and some scumlord is trying to buy some up and rent out at extortionate levels - £600pcm!? This isn't the centre of town!

Maybe the scumlord rent is closer to the market rent. Maybe the rest of the street isnt in the real world and is subsidised by the taxpayer. Maybe its why there is little revenue to build sme more social or council houses.

Maybe the scumlord rent is closer to the market rent. Maybe the rest of the street isnt in the real world and is subsidised by the taxpayer. Maybe its why there is little revenue to build sme more social or council houses.

Yeah , who's the bad guy now Guitarman? ;)

I'm just kidding (although live in hope obviously isn't!). Every man for himself as far as I'm concerned, £180 a month, fair play. :ph34r:

This post has made me angry. Not angry with the landlord, angry with you.

You get away with paying next to nothing and still bitch and moan about others.

Are you for real? I pay a decent amount of digs each month and my parents have been here forever in this council place - it's not pretty! I've got the right to moan about others if I want - I still want to move out and buy a place and prices are still sky high, staying at home to save is my only option. If you're angry at my attitude to the scumlord, tough! Just because one person has a particular circumstance doesn't mean he/she can't complain about related circumstances, jesus! For a second there I thought I'd logged into hormonal mumsnet!

If it were me staying here as my place of residence paying low rents like that I'd be happy! But I'm not here forever - I want to move out and buy a place - prices are too high, and I see BTL as a key factor in this - so I think I'm entitled to be angry about the situation.

Edited by guitarman001

Are you for real? I pay a decent amount of digs each month and my parents have been here forever in this council place - it's not pretty! I've got the right to moan about others if I want - I still want to move out and buy a place and prices are still sky high, staying at home to save is my only option. If you're angry at my attitude to the scumlord, tough! Just because one person has a particular circumstance doesn't mean he/she can't complain about related circumstances, jesus! For a second there I thought I'd logged into hormonal mumsnet!

If it were me staying here as my place of residence paying low rents like that I'd be happy! But I'm not here forever - I want to move out and buy a place - prices are too high, and I see BTL as a key factor in this - so I think I'm entitled to be angry about the situation.

You should get a price under 'right to buy'. You'd be quids in mate!

Ask if you can inherit the tenancy and whether you qualify for the right to buy,

Could buy it for cheap but not sure I want to! Some of these council homes aren't in a great state and the neighbourhood isn't the best. I don't see it as a good investment.

no, no houseprices always go up! haven't you heard? :P

Could buy it for cheap but not sure I want to! Some of these council homes aren't in a great state and the neighbourhood isn't the best. I don't see it as a good investment.

You don't see it as a good investment but the scumlord does. You knock him for making an investment in property but you would buy a property yourself if you thought it was a good investment !!

No. I would never buy to let, ever. I considered buying the place once as my parents wouldn't have to pay rent again but for many other factors I've decided to steer clear. Please don't paint me with the filthy brush that is BTL...

I think you've described ad hominem.

Contact HMRC and make sure the landlord is declaring the rental income from the property.

Wow!

The scumlord bought the place with his own money and can ask what he likes for it. Meanwhile, we are paying for you to live almost free and you want to b1tch about it? STFU or start paying your own way.

Methinks you yourself is a scumlord, richyc. If not your attitude simply stinks. STFU yourself and get a better attitude - I'm sure the mods don't like such negative attitude towards other members.

Edited by guitarman001

Methinks you yourself is a scumlord, richyc. If not your attitude simply stinks. STFU yourself and get a better attitude - I'm sure the mods don't like such negative attitude towards other members.

Not a LL and for the most part I dislike many of them as much as anyone here.

You are something else though. Maybe what you said was just ill considered.

I pay my taxes, as does my father who pays the rent on the place. I don't see what your problem is - because we live in council housing? Because I'm opposed to BTL buying up council housing? I'm sure you'd live here for these rents if you could! I think we all agree that a large part of the problem is because council housing was sold off making people feel richer than they ought to - I'm all for council housing, people just can't afford to live under high private rents. Sure, it may be part-funded through taxpayers but I assure you not everybody is out to scam the system, certainly not us.

I'm not bitching about living at home - and it's not rent free - these assumptions you make are ridiculous - pay my own way!? You don't know half the story. I'm bitching about the BTL opposite us who signifies to me the root of the infection. Wake up on the wrong side of the bed?