House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CrashedOutAndBurned

Are The Condems Messing It Up?

Are the ConDems messing things up?

The deficit was, yes, in large part caused by the crazy spending of NuLabour propping up its heartlands with silly makejobs, but also in large part caused by keeping bankster on their yachts.

Now the government says everyone in society (apart from banksters, of course) has to take their share of pain. They haven't seen that cutting child benefit will be seen as just a tax rise.

The Tories are supposedly about reducing the tax burden of people. But they want to take universal benefits and are not cutting taxes to offset this. Surely they need to return more untaxed, high-velocity money into the system to offset the cuts? If they don't, where are the private sector jobs coming from? More bank loans and debt?

Heres a shocking revelation.

The public think they own the banks (yeh right, with all this debt around, debt is an asset to the bankers). "Lend us back our money".

No, the bankers OWN the government, and they OWN YOU.

Hiding, in plain view.

Tax and spending have to balance, the nation cannot continue to borrow at the current rate. So they either raise taxes or cut spending. All the cuts will do is bring back the balance. They would need to cut even deeper if they wanted to offer tax cuts too.

Tax and spending have to balance, the nation cannot continue to borrow at the current rate. So they either raise taxes or cut spending. All the cuts will do is bring back the balance. They would need to cut even deeper if they wanted to offer tax cuts too.

Commonsense seems to be lost on some,

how come people don't get it? I would doubt they'd even get it if you explained it with monopoly money on the kitchen table

The deficit was, yes, in large part caused by the crazy spending of NuLabour propping up its heartlands with silly makejobs, but also in large part caused by keeping bankster on their yachts.

Now the government says everyone in society (apart from banksters, of course) has to take their share of pain. They haven't seen that cutting child benefit will be seen as just a tax rise.

The Tories are supposedly about reducing the tax burden of people. But they want to take universal benefits and are not cutting taxes to offset this. Surely they need to return more untaxed, high-velocity money into the system to offset the cuts? If they don't, where are the private sector jobs coming from? More bank loans and debt?

You want them to reduce the tax burden by the same amount that they are reducing expenditure? How is that going to reduce the deficit? How is it going to pay off the debt?

You want them to reduce the tax burden by the same amount that they are reducing expenditure? How is that going to reduce the deficit? How is it going to pay off the debt?

The trick is to do something wrong and if it doesn't work keep doing more of it, because then it'll magically fix itself.

Ask that again after October 20th.

We need a rebalancing away from the state, away from speculation, not entirely away from consumption but away from unduly favouring it over investment, and towards the productive economy. I see some important moves in that direction, such as reducing corporation tax. I see other, contradictory signals. I reserve judgement.

We need a rebalancing away from the state, away from speculation, not entirely away from consumption but away from unduly favouring it over investment, and towards the productive economy. I see some important moves in that direction, such as reducing corporation tax. I see other, contradictory signals. I reserve judgement.

As ever, an insightful response

I heard the term fiscal tightening and moneytary easing on here before. That would seem to tie in with the 'rebalancing' argument of putting more money into the private sector and taking it out of the public. I can only see it working it they comprehensively reform the banks though, or else bypass the banks altogether, or else it will all end up in mortgages. It needs to be targeted into areas which dont suffer from overcapacity somehow.

The fact is, if you want to be part of the global economy, and continue to have private companies trading you cant run a country with govt accounting for >55% of GDP as we have here for the last 18 months or so, not if its borrowed, anyway.

The Condems arent perfect, but they seem to be the best choice we have now by a long long long long long shot.

The spending cuts will have a deflationary effect by cutting back on economic activity, and so the deficit won't go down.

Tax cuts will have adoubly damaging effect since the deficit will not decrease, but will widen. At the same time, the evidence is that people are paying off debts, and tax cuts will be used for this purpose.

Deflation, deflation, deflation.

The spending cuts will have a deflationary effect by cutting back on economic activity, and so the deficit won't go down.

Tax cuts will have adoubly damaging effect since the deficit will not decrease, but will widen. At the same time, the evidence is that people are paying off debts, and tax cuts will be used for this purpose.

I broadly agree with that view.The child benefit fiasco is spinning out of control with them now trying to reverse it with a married couple's allowance.

Thats where the fiscal vs. monetary bit comes in though.

Squeeze the Fiscal (public sector) bit, but print more for private businesses (monetary bit), keeping money supply growth in balance.

Can surely only work if it is actally targeted at productive areas where undercapacity is present though, whereas without reform the banks will just use it for mortgages and mew.

Can surely only work if it is actally targeted at productive areas where undercapacity is present though, whereas without reform the banks will just use it for mortgages and mew.

Yup and mortgages and MEW is the target - there is no productive sector with under capacity.

Thats where the fiscal vs. monetary bit comes in though.

Squeeze the Fiscal (public sector) bit, but print more for private businesses (monetary bit), keeping money supply growth in balance.

But if people are thrown out of work, there's less money for consumption, which accounts for 72% of GDP. so less demand for goods and services from the private sector.

But if people are thrown out of work, there's less money for consumption, which accounts for 72% of GDP. so less demand for goods and services from the private sector.

An argument for employing half the unemployed to dig holes and the other half to fill them in. Unless the work they're doing is actually of some use it simply doesn't work. You may as well say "Let's give everyone a million pounds."

An argument for employing half the unemployed to dig holes and the other half to fill them in. Unless the work they're doing is actually of some use it simply doesn't work. You may as well say "Let's give everyone a million pounds."

The Tories are on the run at the first whiff of grapeshot from their £45k + electors.What a good example this sets to the hoi polloi.Most likely it will make them give the likes of Bob Crow the time of day.Note an opinion poll showed 85% in favour of withdrawing CB.Obviously the 85% on less that 40% tax.

.... You may as well say "Let's give everyone a million pounds."

I think the last bunch of idiots tried that :D (If you didn't get yours its because you are not a banker...:D:D)

The ideology driven cuts to the poorest will crash the economy. Cutting the Telegraph reader sector will result in losing the next election (done deal anyway IMO) Pumping dosh into the pockets of their bankster friends is the only real answer. £50Bn more to come soon. Brown did what the banks told him. Osborne will do the same. Bank bailout2 round the corner (so say the IMF not just me). Pension funds to be the new BTL landlords. Compulsory pensions for everyone to make them pay into the thieves' coffers to price themselves out of housing.

Enjoy.