House Price Crash Forum

Will These Benefit Forms "fix Broken Britain"

HOLA441

In, say five years time, when were coming up for another election, will we be on the way in fixing "Broken Britain"? I.e getting the "workshy" into work, people on benefits having fewer kids & fewer chavs on the street? My answer would be no..Those who know how to play the system, will still be doing so, gangs of chavs will still roam & terrorise the streets, and those who need help the most will be in greater trouble than they are now.

HOLA442
HOLA443

Britain's problems were created over 13 years; there are no quick fixes.

...yes ...ChavLiebour have a lot to answer for....and as far as militant Unions are concerned ...would you call your dog Castro...obviously the owner wishes to bring the UK into line with Cuba..... :rolleyes:

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

In, say five years time, when were coming up for another election, will we be on the way in fixing "Broken Britain"? I.e getting the "workshy" into work, people on benefits having fewer kids & fewer chavs on the street? My answer would be no..Those who know how to play the system, will still be doing so, gangs of chavs will still roam & terrorise the streets, and those who need help the most will be in greater trouble than they are now.

...you are one cheerful chappie....if it's up to you ...nothing will happen ....thankfully other people are on the job.... :)

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I'd say they're a step in the right direction to fixing broken Britain.

Of course, when Britain is a fixed, prosperous, happy, green and pleasant land, the electorate will undoubtedly vote in labour to wreck it again.

..yes ...why not ....a nice inheritence for Ed the Red ...and Union leaders with dogs named Castro.... :rolleyes:

HOLA4412

They won't FIX the problem on their own, but they are a good step.

Your poll question is not really very good, because no single measure could possibly fix such a complex problem

True, but I'm just trying to find out whether you think Britain will be a "better place" five years from now...

you are one cheerful chappie

I certainly am :):o:ph34r:

Edited by Dave Beans

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Benefit RE- forms are a distraction, a sop to the Daily Mail claque.

Broken Britain will not be fixed without fundamental changes to our employment practices.

Limiting immigration is a step forward, but too many managers will continue to get big ticks for hiring immigrants and for outsourcing, because their managers think it is most cost efficient, probably without doing the sums.

Hiring people because they can do the job immediately pushes up pay and forces out training. Short-termism which has caused immense damage.

We need a radical increase in the supply of housing.

We need a radical increase in the need for jobs within the UK.

To the last two, there is a simple solution - build more council housing.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

The truth is that the idle rich and other rent seekers need benefit bludgers to divert attention away from themselves.

The lastest round of cuts to the entitlement of the middle classes to universal benefits is designed to make them hate the poor in receipt of welfare even more

Edited by realcrookswearsuits

HOLA4417

Britain's problems were created over 13 years; there are no quick fixes.

This 'doesn't start until 2013. Its not even attempting to be a slow fix.

Lets 'clear the deficit within one parliament' by not doing anything until the dying days of that parliament? More like lets be 'nice' for a whole parliament and we'll get voted in again.

That sort of attitude fixes nothing.

HOLA4418

Benefit reform will fix 5% of what is wrong with "broken britain" what about the other non-chav-benefit related 95%??

Edited by alexw

HOLA4419

The only thing that will save this economy is a mass social house building programme, benefit cuts will only hurt the economy, housing is the only one benefit hurts everyone apart from land owners. jsa etc.. money is spend in the economy its like a cash injection into the economy, its like government spending after a recession to create growth and jobs. housing benefit isnt spread out, and normally ends up in the bank.

NO SOCIAL HOMES economic problems for this country.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Benefit fraud is reckoned to cost about 0.5 billion- which includes administrative errors as well as false claims- so about half what the new child benefit reforms will save.

Tax evasion/avoidence comes to about 24 billion. So the focus looks to be a little skewed anyway.

People keep saying that benefit claiments should not get more than those in minimum wage jobs- but fail to grasp that these are often the same people- most people on the minimum wage get some for of income support- effectively subsidising low paying employers- many of whom are large outfits like McDonalds who make a lot money.

Most the 'social protection' spending is pensions anyway, rather than benefits.

So I voted no because in reality the whole workshy/benefits scrounger/ single mother/ meme is a sideshow to the main event, which is the sheer incompetence and greed of our societies elite, who have chosen to enrich themselves via HPI and Banking fraud at the expense of social cohesion and the national interest.

HOLA4423

Until a couple of years ago I lived in a very poor area, with all the problems of 'broken Britain'. Although expensive and complicated, the working family tax credit that GB brought in did make a difference. A significant amount of single mothers got part time jobs because it paid for them to do so, their benefits were reduced on a sliding scale. Prior to GB these women would have sat on their rear ends in front of the telly for the rest of their lives.

Simultaneously, all the single men were either a.) working on the black market and claiming, or b.) sat at home and claiming. Because they couldn't get a job that paid more than benefits.

IDS is taking GB's beginning and extending it across the board while simultaneously simplifying the systems.

In the first few years this will get the black marketers and the non-workshy back into jobs. After that there will be a slow cultural change where sitting on the dole will once again become stigmatised and unacceptable - as it was until somewhere around the mid-seventies when mass unemployment kicked in.

In twenty years time, GB and IDS will jointly be seen as wise architects of a better benefits system.

HOLA4424