House Price Crash Forum
EmmaRoid

I Am The One In 20...

Of all the absurd things I have heard today, it is the belief that someone with a declared taxable income of £44K is somehow in the highest earning 5% of the nation and therefore rich beyond their wildest dreams.

I can't believe I'm so lucky to be able to support a whole family on a high earners income, renting (as high earners do) a small 3 bed terraced house (that all high earners aspire to) and driving to the office every day in my low spec out of warranty jap box on wheels (an absolute must for every high earner).

I must be a ****ing mug to put up with this **** :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by daiking

Of all the absurd things I have heard today, it is the belief that someone with a declared taxable income of £44K is somehow in the highest earning 5% of the nation and therefore rich beyond their wildest dreams.

I can't believe I'm so lucky to be able to support a whole family on a high earners income, renting (as high earners do) a small 3 bed terraced house (that all high earners aspire to) and driving to the office every day in my low spec out of warranty jap box on wheels (an absolute must for every high earner).

I saw our household income was in the top 15% the other day.

Given everybody on the internet all day is still pulling in £70k a year and has stockpiles of physical gold I don't feel that rich!

I used to earn that before I got older and lazier, back when I still had a mortgage. In fact one year the wife and I topped 65K between us. If only we had realised we were rich, rich, RICH we wouldn't be living in a modest terrace and driving a five year old motor.

S'pose you must spend it all on booze and fags, then? ;)

Well, that makes two of us ;)

Yeah this made me laugh.

I am well in to that tax bracket.

I have no (dependant) family. No car. No big holiday for nearly two years. I'm renting and it's cheap. I cycle to work everyday and generally live cheap. Yet I am still not even near saving enough deposit for a tiny flat in London. Least I'm rich though. :(

Yeah this made me laugh.

I am well in to that tax bracket.

I have no (dependant) family. No car. No big holiday for nearly two years. I'm renting and it's cheap. I cycle to work everyday and generally live cheap. Yet I am still not even near saving enough deposit for a tiny flat in London. Least I'm rich though. :(

44 k and you cant save...give me a break...

The problem here is that, over the last ten years, the idea of what was a normal or average income in Britain was utterly skewed by people like Zoe Williams saying that a middle class person was someone who earned about £70,000 a year, by the fact that no one launched like a dog into executive pay, particularly in the public sector, and by the fact that cheap credit has hidden people's real wealth levels and created an inflated environment.

In reality, 80 percent of income earners in Britain earn under £40,000 a year. 90 percent earn under £50k pa. It is less than one percent of all income earners that earn over £100,000 a year.

The average person that pays income tax in Britain earns about £24k pa.

In short, daiking, you earn more than 80 percent of all income earners in Britain. Only you don't feel it because the credit boom severly skewed the cost of living, particularly housing, and the cheap credit phenomenon meant people on incomes far lower than yours borrowed to fund a lifestyle that would normally require a salary far above yours, plus you have also been taxed more than you would have been fifteen years ago (council tax has doubled, stamp duty has shot up etc).

This country reminds me of Premier League football.

You have the Manchester City / Chelsea class of billionaires you need never worry about money and can buy up vast swarthes of the country and rent it back to us. These are your super rich global elite of thieves, murderers and the odd genius.

You then have the Manchester United / Arsenal type of established rich. They have the financial power to do whatever they like, own a lot of stuff and will still own everything in generations to come. This is where most politicians come from.

The Leeds / Newcastle types of debt fuelled expansion - sometimes they are able to almost reach the top but then they'll come crashing down afterwards. These are your property millionaire, pop star etc classes who live the high life but leave nothing behind as a legacy.

The Liverpool - overleveraged trying to live beyond their income. Income - not as high as you'd think from the outside. These are the types who made big money in the boom but it was an illusion. Could be the old money family in the crumbling manor house.

Then you have the Everton/Tottenham /Villa middle classes - they'll live within their means, might have the odd success but really never get to experience the thrills or the depths. Are expected to compete with the "elite" but we all know who'll come out on top eventually. These are your £25k-£100k a year household families.

Rest of the league - some sensible, some reckless, don't earn that much less than the middle tier but are regarded as fodder by the eilte. These are your low income / benefit types. The odd one might make it into the middle, or even upper tier, but in reality they mostly bump along the bottom.

Can't save the 50K deposit for a one bedroom flat in a shitty area. Saving 50k is not easy, even when you're in the higher tax bracket.

where are these 500K one bed flats?

Earning £31k and saving £600 a month when I'm not being a dick.

Lost nearly £1k on a stag do this weekend :(

The rest you squandered.

This country reminds me of Premier League football.

You have the Manchester City / Chelsea class of billionaires you need never worry about money and can buy up vast swarthes of the country and rent it back to us. These are your super rich global elite of thieves, murderers and the odd genius.

You then have the Manchester United / Arsenal type of established rich. They have the financial power to do whatever they like, own a lot of stuff and will still own everything in generations to come. This is where most politicians come from.

The Leeds / Newcastle types of debt fuelled expansion - sometimes they are able to almost reach the top but then they'll come crashing down afterwards. These are your property millionaire, pop star etc classes who live the high life but leave nothing behind as a legacy.

The Liverpool - overleveraged trying to live beyond their income. Income - not as high as you'd think from the outside. These are the types who made big money in the boom but it was an illusion. Could be the old money family in the crumbling manor house.

Then you have the Everton/Tottenham /Villa middle classes - they'll live within their means, might have the odd success but really never get to experience the thrills or the depths. Are expected to compete with the "elite" but we all know who'll come out on top eventually. These are your £25k-£100k a year household families.

Rest of the league - some sensible, some reckless, don't earn that much less than the middle tier but are regarded as fodder by the eilte. These are your low income / benefit types. The odd one might make it into the middle, or even upper tier, but in reality they mostly bump along the bottom.

HPCers will be the Blackpool/Fulham sort, might be earning F all, might be earning an OK amount, but making the most of what we have :)

Whenever people try and argue that house prices aren't ludicrous, I point out that in London a GP on 120k per year would currently struggle to get a mortgage on a titchy 3 bed semi.

I think there's a more fundamental quesition with all these middle class benefits. I think benefits should be a safety net for the poor, full stop. All these middle class tax credits and stuff just create bureaucracy.

Well nationwide says the average wage is somewhere in 30k's so 44k ain't so great...

Mean? Maybe if the city bonuses are included.

Median? No way.

In the educated, IT literate enclave that is HPC.co.uk I'm sure 30k ish is probably average but I can't think that is anywhere near true for the population at large.