House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

the_dork

Charity

I want to give to an efficient charity which does sustainable and long-term development work. Oxfam is a big name and I have doubts about some of their efficiencies and dubious political campaigning. Christian Aid seems decent but I'm not religious and worry about some of the baggage. Anyone know any other good ones?

I want to give to an efficient charity which does sustainable and long-term development work. Oxfam is a big name and I have doubts about some of their efficiencies and dubious political campaigning. Christian Aid seems decent but I'm not religious and worry about some of the baggage. Anyone know any other good ones?

Nope.

I used to give to charity quite a bit until I did some research. Some of the cancer charities for instance have bulging bank accounts and make more in interest a year than I was earning. They are not the only ones that are not using the cash that they are given.

I content myself now as doing my bit by looking at the billions that the government give away in aid all over the place. Some of that money is what they took from me, it didnt all come from a whip around in westminster.

Please don't write off Oxfam. My daughter has worked for them for several years, in post-tsunami Indonesia, Ethiopia and currently in Haiti. Their admin costs are in fact relatively low compared to many big charities, and they do go to considerable lengths to prevent money being diverted into corrupt pockets.

She has remarked more than once that friends doing similar jobs in Haiti are earning considerably more, but she still prefers Oxfam because she thinks they do a better job on the ground. Over the years she's seen masses of the others in action.

And she has worked for others, inc. the American Red Cross.

Consider

http://www.kidsforkids.org.uk/

http://www.merlin.org.uk/

I recently stopped giving a monthly debit to Sightsavers after I learnt about them, allegedly, giving money to chugging firms. I was disgusted by that and was shocked when I rang them to cancel that they did not even ask me why I was stopping donating - I got the impression they did not care.

I don't - most of it ends up in the wrong hands.

Instead I help a friend, she has a disabled 4 year old child (father violent non supporting headcase). The money I would of given to charity helps pays for treats, clothes, toys, educational aids that she can't afford.

Exception - I do give a bit to the RNLI now and again.

I'd personally look at worthwhile charities in your local neighbourhood..I volunteer for a foodbank. I don't care much about it's Christian values, but I'm extremely glad that I'm involved because it does such excellent work.

I tend to support local charities rather than national / international ones. The local ones seem to use more of their donations actually doing good works rather than in admin costs.

Nope.

I used to give to charity quite a bit until I did some research. Some of the cancer charities for instance have bulging bank accounts and make more in interest a year than I was earning. They are not the only ones that are not using the cash that they are given.

I content myself now as doing my bit by looking at the billions that the government give away in aid all over the place. Some of that money is what they took from me, it didnt all come from a whip around in westminster.

Completely agree. I would never give any charity money to organised corporation, company, religion or government.

I got so confused in the old days and gave up.

Luckily for me a human XXXt I have to work with sent his third wife, (Thai national), around the bend. I now send his ex wife and hospital sick child XDh every month. I really can't afford to but then I really can't afford not to. For me conscience clear. Oh hang on Con- Science.

And is fiat worth anything anyway? :)

Completely agree. I would never give any charity money to organised corporation, company, religion or government.

I got so confused in the old days and gave up.

Luckily for me a human XXXt I have to work with sent his third wife, (Thai national), around the bend. I now send his ex wife and hospital sick child XDh every month. I really can't afford to but then I really can't afford not to. For me conscience clear. Oh hang on Con- Science.

And is fiat worth anything anyway? :)

I give my time to the local school and help the kids in my daughters class with reading. I also help with their allotment patch which produces fresh veg for their meals. I can give time to help others and would probably still give money to good local causes if I know it will be put to good use. As for everything else, forget it.

Direct to a charity in Africa, I know the person who runs it and the money goes where it is needed.

screw africa. Governments give billions. If the region will not support life then pumping cash and effort to defeat mother nature is pointless.

People keep asking me for money for africa, I tell them that when I have gold mines and diamond mines and opel mines and vast quantities of untapped resources to use then I will help out.

Mother nature will do whatever, sometimes charity only prolongues agony.

The corrupt African governments do have billions and keep it in Swiss bank accounts (Mugabe et al), but the people at the bottom do not, the money I give goes directly to help these people.

ofcourse it does and I am glad that you know this once and for all because you have followed your pound from your wallet to a mouth.

Would be a shame if you had relied on faith though and that money bought rounds or grenades though.

Even if it doesnt and buys nothing but food and aid, what do you see as their future in a region that no longer sustains human life?

Do you have a personal contact you trust?

e.g. friend's kid's school had (through some enterprising teacher) teamed up with some village in Kenya, and were helping them build&run a school. We gave a charity concert for them.

Or again on a personal level, sponsor some bright but poor youngster through university. Or something.

I was going to mention Intermediate Technology, with which I once had some very peripheral involvement. But a quick google leaves me unconvinced: they've rebranded and look almost as corporate/generic as Oxfam.

In the UK? Anything from John Muir Trust to RNLI, or from guide dogs to animal rescue. Though you'd have to DYOR on how much goes to good causes in those cases.

Do you have a personal contact you trust?

e.g. friend's kid's school had (through some enterprising teacher) teamed up with some village in Kenya, and were helping them build&run a school. We gave a charity concert for them.

It's so much more satisfactory to give directly when you can. It's not so often you get the opportunity, though.

Several yrs ago our d was teaching English on a vol. basis in an orphanage in Cambodia. (It was near Angkor Wat so most of the jobs the kids were likely to get were tourism related.) Gradually they asked her to help out more and we wondered if there was anything we could do directly. She said that the older kids had very little in the way of entertainment and suggested a table tennis table, plus a shelter to keep the rain/sun off.

Once a year the orphanage put on a big birthday party for all the kids (since they knew very few of their birthdays anyway) and by pure happy chance our table tennis table arrived just as the party was kicking off.

Having heard a lot about the orphanage my Singaporean s-i-l then collected up a whole load of barely worn clothes, shoes and toys from friends/relatives and took them herself, with her mother and sister. (No use sending them, they'd almost certainly only have got nicked en route.)

Its tricky, isn't it?

In the past Ive donated (sometimes regularly) to Cancer Research, MS Society, WSPA, local charities who help homeless people and the RNLI every time I had to be rescued at sea.

Always at the back of my mind though is the worry that Im funding a charity that is little more than a self supporting entity.

Recently I found myself wanting to give money to a charity that repairs cleft palates of childred, but when I googled the charity, there seemed to be some concern that there were high overheads / admin costs involved.

Maybe I should do what others here do and give some time somewhere instead.

Its tricky, isn't it?

In the past Ive donated (sometimes regularly) to Cancer Research, MS Society, WSPA, local charities who help homeless people and the RNLI every time I had to be rescued at sea.

Always at the back of my mind though is the worry that Im funding a charity that is little more than a self supporting entity.

Recently I found myself wanting to give money to a charity that repairs cleft palates of childred, but when I googled the charity, there seemed to be some concern that there were high overheads / admin costs involved.

Was that SmileTrain? I donated to that, and only heard later about the admin costs.

I think there's another one that manages the money better - can't remember what it's called, though.

Its tricky, isn't it?

We gave some money to smile train, as it seemed like a worthy cause, on reflection, and on googling after the donation, I wonder if it's the most effective charity - especially considering the sheer number of requests they've sent for more money...

I second others recommendations to give to a local charity - where even a relatively small donation can make a big difference. Our local Waitrose has a token vote system, where once a month they divide £1000 between three local charities (proportionally, depending on the votes cast by shoppers) - it's really opened my eyes to so many small charities in the area.

Also, please don't rule out "christian" charities - a lot of them aren't necessarily with the aim of converting people or whatever, just showing love and kindness - a Sally Army soup kitchen for example is a non-judgemental caring facility for people that need it, Seaman's missions offer counselling, practical care and support to people who do a difficult job (and to their families) - to whoever needs it. Drop in coffee mornings and Parents and Toddlers groups run by churches are valuable resources for local people who need social interaction/an opportunity to get out of the house, and lots of churches provide these services for free/for a token payment - with no other agenda than providing a service to the local community. You may share similar values, even if you don't share the beliefs!

RNLI

We know what they do and they can be seen to do it. Also my uncle asked me to in his will.

I believe St.John's Ambulance are an equally worthy bunch of volunteers!

Your point about seeing where the money goes is a good one! :)

I believe St.John's Ambulance are an equally worthy bunch of volunteers!

Your point about seeing where the money goes is a good one! :)

My mum work for the St Johns Ambulance as PA to the finance director for 20 years, retired this year. They paid her a fortune :)

The only charity I regularly support is one which provides temporary housing for the homeless, can't remember the name but the guy collects on the bridge at Waterloo East every other Friday, I put in £10-20 a time and have a little chat with him. I have checked them out on the internet and they seem like it's worthwhile and that particular guys dedication is beyond doubt.

My general philosophy with regard to charity is just be generous in small ways, I'll always stick a couple of quid in a collection tin when I see one.

The corrupt African governments do have billions and keep it in Swiss bank accounts (Mugabe et al), but the people at the bottom do not, the money I give goes directly to help these people.

I like to give to animal charities. African and other so-called poor countries get enough charity (i.e. our taxes) as it is.

I like to give to animal charities. African and other so-called poor countries get enough charity (i.e. our taxes) as it is.

Thanks All, I cannot resist responding on the African issue though. Tax money is largely given to corrupt governments who have various tie ins on buying weapons/allowing access to materials. The amounts given are also relatively pitiful, certainly in comparison to the ridiculous projects we have in our own country.

Giving money to grassroots projects is very much different and is incredibly efficient and appreciated. I want to give to charities that encourage long term development (ie. family planning, infrastructure projects) rather than just keeping people alive (important though that is). It's a real shame that people would rather give to animal charities in the UK imo.

The mega charities are nothing more than global corporations imo, I wouldn't give them a penny. IIRC all sorts of dubious groups are now registering as charities because they're tax efficient entities: they can reclaim the tax that has been paid by the donor.

As others have said spend your time and money on local projects, or at least in areas where you know what their aim is. Then once the goal has been achieved the giving is over and you know that you've done your bit.