House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JonoP

Best Place In The World To Live....

A couple of recent posts that spoke about living in China have made me stop and think. I am wondering where the *best* place in the world to live would be. By my definition of best I basically mean cheap and nice (nice and cheap?), so:

• The place would need an excellent healthcare system, yet medical insurance would need to be inexpensive
  • Housing costs would need to be low low low - either renting or buying
  • The cost of living (food/booze/transport) would need to be low
  • The climate would need to be great and seaside living is a must
  • Food should be good
  • The locals should be friendly
  • Ideally, it should be possible to secure some form of employment, even if it is casual (I anticipate the bulk of living costs being covered by investments though)
  • You should be able to stay there without constant visa hassle

Any ideas?

A couple of recent posts that spoke about living in China have made me stop and think. I am wondering where the *best* place in the world to live would be. By my definition of best I basically mean cheap and nice (nice and cheap?), so:

• The place would need an excellent healthcare system, yet medical insurance would need to be inexpensive

• Food should be good

• Ideally, it should be possible to secure some form of employment, even if it is casual (I anticipate the bulk of living costs being covered by investments though)

Any ideas?

From your list, how about the Croatian coast? Pop back across to Italy for your expensive medical stuff. Or Thailand / Philippines / Indonesia (Bali) and then use Singapore as your healthcare portal. Australia probably doesn't want you (visa) and while NZ is wonderful you'd need a job to go to (I think) and it is culturally lacking. I like Japan, and it has some great coast, but that's probably a bit mad. Then there's Argentina, Brazil, Mexico... or a carefully chosen Geek island. How about Beirut? The Paris of the East...

Actually scratch all that. You are actually asking the impossible - somewhere that is highly desirable with great infrastructure but also cheap as chips. Sorry, can't help.

• Food should be good

Any ideas?

Too many requirements.

Compromise on some or forget it.

Restate your post but with the requirements in order of priority.

Too many requirements.

Compromise on some or forget it.

Restate your post but with the requirements in order of priority.

I can think of a few cheap places but they don't have excellent healthcare system.You might have to make a few compromises.

I can think of a few cheap places but they don't have excellent healthcare system.You might have to make a few compromises.

Don't a lot of these 'cheap' places actually have excellent healthcare ? As long as you pay for it ?

Surely this evens things up a little. If you are living in a place where it is 'cheap' then the odd couple of thousand for an op here or there is not the end of the World.

South Sandwich islands or maybe antartica for me.

I like my own company

I like my own cooking

I like cold climates

Cost of housing is the cost of a portakabin

No need for employment. Survive by eating penguins and collecting and melting snow and rain.

As Joe Stalin said, No people, no problems.

Still a big fan of New Zealand after two years here!

The ACC will look after you expectionally well if you have an accident. The public health system is however basic and you are expected to pay your own way for things like GP visits. Health insurance however is very cheap - $161 / month for the best scheme going for me (which is total overkill - I have a $30 package)
    Auckland is expensive in the nicer superbs. Out of Auckland prices are low, however there is less well paid work available.
    Cheap petrol, cheap high quality food, cheap and delicious wine
    check
  • Food should be good
    Eating out here is awesome and very well priced
    mostly..
    economy is picking up, plenty of work for the educated and willing
    Immigration service is efficient, but you need to have something to offer New Zealand